Text messaging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
A young person who is doing a little bit of work in our offices today has told me that if he received a text message with a full stop he would assume the sender was angry with him!

In addition, he tells me that older people using a lot of emojis is "cringe".

Have you any advice on proper texting etiquette?

Proper spelling and grammar at all times...

Yes, I'm that old...

Proper spelling and grammar at all times...

Yes, I'm that old...

^^^^^^ Me too. Full sentences & paragraphs. No text talk like 'GR8' & 'C U L8er' not my thing at all.

I'm so glad I don't pay per word for my texts.

However, I do like the odd :D:thumb::bannana::crazy::eek::p

And of course the compulsory X X X at the end. ;)

Point number one. He is being ageist. Therefore non PC and this in the "snowflake generation" (sheesh) therefore he should be "offended" by his own remarks. And should sit in the naughty corner for a very long time indeed.

My mojo is always working so I will always transmit and 'e' mojo when it suits me and I'm not even old.

Texting etiquette. Text him and tell him - (Adopts voice of Donald Trump or Allan Sugar) You're fired no need for a full stop of course and big smily emojo to go with.

You could "wrong gender him" that will send him into a fit of pique. He will be all over snapchat, facestalk, twitter and whatever else the yoof of today may see fit to whinge on.

Have a great Christmas Lisa and see you in the New Year some time. :)

A young person who is doing a little bit of work in our offices today has told me that if he received a text message with a full stop he would assume the sender was angry with him!

He needs to get a life rapidly:doh:

Yes; do as you please.

This from a generation with the inability to describe enjoying eating a bag of crisps without overloading on superlatives, the trend for which extends to their texting where multiple daft faces are 'needed' to demonstrate any emotion at all....ironically needed because they are unwilling to use actual language to convey meaning or emotion. :wallbash:

Bah humbug :eek:

Yes; do as you please.

This from a generation with the inability to describe enjoying eating a bag of crisps without overloading on superlatives, the trend for which extends to their texting where multiple daft faces are 'needed' to demonstrate any emotion at all....ironically needed because they are unwilling to use actual language to convey meaning or emotion. :wallbash:

Bah humbug :eek:

lmao at ya :D

Surely you sacked the little scrote on the spot?

My advice is to completely ignore his opinions. What right has he to decide on etiquette? I'm in favour of "seen and not heard" at least until they are earning a good living, own their own home, have a good car and are regularly driving me home from the pub...

Perhaps - if he had not paused to talk about this - he might have done a slightly larger bit of work in your offices today...

:dk::dk::dk::dk::dk::dk::dk:

Maybe he thinks an exclamation mark is called a full stop? :dk:

I was a 'seen and not heard' child.

just tell the little petal that he is awesome, he'll soon settle.

Very funny guys! To be fair, he wasn't being awful, quite a polite teen really. I mentioned that my husband is constantly looking for the perfect emoji for any text message he writes and this makes them very un-spontaneous and the young 'un said his dad (a colleague who was present) did that and it was a bit cringe. The full stop thing really surprised me though.

Another friend of mine (slightly older) is always astonished to see me touch typing on an iPad, however he never learned to type.

I'd rather a one minute phone call than twenty texts that, back and forth, take an hour.

Tell him that a full stop is the latest emoji that shows whoever he is texting that he has completed his group of words.
He'll soon start to use them.

To be honest, I find it a lot easier and quicker to type a text message, as if I'm typing a formal letter - grammar, punctuations, et al. I might use an occasional LOL or a smiley (I can't bring myself to say emoji), but basically it's a written communication, not an attempt to transcribe a caveman rumblings... My opinion, of course.

Maybe he thinks an exclamation mark is called a full stop? :dk:
Entirely plausible. If fullstops were to be avoided, how else would non-oldies separate their sentences!?

And can anyone post an image of the popular
Code:
 :dk: :banana: :wallbash:
emojis? I use Tapatalk on my phone exclusively for this enjoyable forum and just see the text and not the emojis themselves.

Entirely plausible. If fullstops were to be avoided, how else would non-oldies separate their sentences!?

And can anyone post an image of the popular
Code:
 :dk: :banana: :wallbash:
emojis? I use Tapatalk on my phone exclusively for this enjoyable forum and just see the text and not the emojis themselves.

No I can't see them either on my ipad.

Just for you both

dk.gif

banana.gif

wallbash.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom