TFT Monitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the various makes of monitors? Is there one which is better value than others? I have been looking at a 19" Samsung. In fact I was about to buy it from PC World Business until I read their terms - they exempt themselves from the Sale of Goods Act !
Is there any issue of future proofing a TFT monitor? Thanking you.

Samsung are great monitors , I have a 240 T 24 inch widescreen as my primary monitor ......

But everyone has their own personal preferences...

Is it legal to exempt yourself from the sale of goods act ? surely thats why it is there , to protect the consumer ... not the retailer ... :confused:

There are many different brands, and what you need to look at is the max resolution capabilities of the monitors.

Obviously make sure it it is compatible with your graphics card in your PC.

The higher the resolution capability the better clarity.

Also get one with the 3yr onsite swap out warranty - which will be pretty much standard.

SAMSUNG are ok - I have always used SONY, HP and have had a couple of DELL screens.

hope this helps..

rgds
Was!

Not 100% sure, but as a business to busienss operation I don't think the Sale Of Goods Act applies?

Not 100% sure, but as a business to busienss operation I don't think the Sale Of Goods Act applies?

could be right - but worth getting the managers explanation re home v business purchases.

I also would have thought that if the SoG Act 'didnt apply' they wouldnt need to 'exempt' themselves

grasmere said:
could be right - but worth getting the managers explanation re home v business purchases.

I also would have thought that if the SoG Act 'didnt apply' they wouldnt need to 'exempt' themselves

Spoke to a guy I know at PCBW and they strive to make it clear that the SoG Act does not apply as people automatically associate them (understandably) with PC World which of course is the Retail arm and as such does have to comply

Although the brand of the screen is interesting in terms of the perception people have of the quality, the TFT panel itself is made by a small number of firms.

I would highly rate Samsung TFT monitors (although I have a Sony at home ;) )

It is worth noting that Samsung is one of the largest manufacturers of TFT panels in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

'Due to the immense cost of building TFT factories, the number of major OEM panel vendors is small. Several of the most well-known are Sharp Corporation, Samsung Electronics, Samsung SDI, LG.Philips LCD and AU Optronics.

As of April 2006, the three biggest manufacturers are LG.Philips and Samsung with 22% of the market, followed by AU Optronics with a 19% share.'

l5foye said:
Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the various makes of monitors? Is there one which is better value than others? I have been looking at a 19" Samsung. In fact I was about to buy it from PC World Business until I read their terms - they exempt themselves from the Sale of Goods Act !
Is there any issue of future proofing a TFT monitor? Thanking you.

Apple Computer owns 50% of the LCD monitor factor at Samsung. The nice ones go to Apple and the leftovers go to Samsung.

If you want colour correction then you look at Eizo. ALWAYS google the model name and review.

The consumer market is like a car. Its not the one everyone wants to drive ... its one that everyone can afford. The best LCD in the world costs 8X more than the cheapest.

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/S2410W/index.asp

Eizo is really expensive (to set a benchmark) but it is still only mid-range.

Last edited:
another point to remember is the native resolution of the pannel. For a TFT to look best , it has to run at its native resolution.

Me , personally i love high res screens. ive been running at least 1600x1200 for years and ive gotten used to the smaller characters.

Others prefer 1024x768 which will make a tft that the native res on it look very clowdy and generally crap.

just something to remember ..

fuzzer said:
another point to remember is the native resolution of the pannel. For a TFT to look best , it has to run at its native resolution.

Me , personally i love high res screens. ive been running at least 1600x1200 for years and ive gotten used to the smaller characters.

Others prefer 1024x768 which will make a tft that the native res on it look very clowdy and generally crap.

LCD's go all the way up to 8 megapixels. Strange how we rate cameras in mpx but not monitors.

8mpx monitors run with 4 video links to one card.

fuzzer said:

True, however this will be less of an issue in the future with resolution-independent operation systems, eg Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, and probably the next version of Windows after Vista. Although this is already in its early stages with Mac OS 10.4 Tiger - 256 x 256 icons etc...

smartbrabus said:
True, however this will be less of an issue in the future with resolution-independent operation systems, eg Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, and probably the next version of Windows after Vista. Although this is already in its early stages with Mac OS 10.4 Tiger - 256 x 256 icons etc...

resolution-independent operation systems ..... um .... thats urban myth. The monitor tells the computer what to do.

Thank you all for your replies- very helpful.
I see some TFT's have a VGA only input and others have VGA and DVI inputs. Am I right in thinking that VGA means it links up with any older pc? Is there any advantage in getting a monitor with both inputs?

l5foye said:
Thank you all for your replies- very helpful.
I see some TFT's have a VGA only input and others have VGA and DVI inputs. Am I right in thinking that VGA means it links up with any older pc? Is there any advantage in getting a monitor with both inputs?

Having both inputs means that you wont be throwing out a perfectly good monitor hardware to use a replacement computer. All new computers come with DVI.

VGA does come in handy if you want to run a laptop with the TFT / LCD.

smartbrabus said:
This is not myth, its actually quite good. This link explains it far better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence

Holy crap ... they invented a whole new concept for keeping the menu one size on different screens.

The capacity of marketing departments to pollute plain concepts with new names is beyond belief.

constant menu size = resolution independance (which is not a reason to buy a mac in any case)

miro said:
Holy crap ... they invented a whole new concept for keeping the menu one size on different screens.

The capacity of marketing departments to pollute plain concepts with new names is beyond belief.

constant menu size = resolution independance (which is not a reason to buy a mac in any case)
I sense a hint of bitterness and sarcasm (and some misunderstanding as well) in your post :rolleyes:

smartbrabus said:
I sense a hint of bitterness and sarcasm (and some misunderstanding as well) in your post :rolleyes:

Steve Jobs ... NEXT .... Postscript display.

He has something to be bitter about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom