TFT Recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Looking for a budget priced (<£300) / decent quality (yes, I know - I want it all !!) 19" TFT.

Quite a few on www.ebuyer.com that seem good value.

Anybody else bought one recently / have any recommendations / contacts / advice ?

S.

Sym, give kickkthekat (ray) a call spoke to him this morning and he tells me he has just got a 17 inch for £105 :eek:

Personally, I wouldnt recommend a tft at all unless space was a real premium.

The quality is still a long way of decent cathode ray technology.

When you do buy a tft, check the specs as they are designed to run at a preset resolution (say 1024 x 768). If you change your pc settings outside of this the picture isnt crisp for text. Personally I like running at least 1280 x 1024 which means that I woud have to buy a 19" tft in order to work at that resolution properly as the 17's all seem to be set at 1024.

As with everything in life, you pay for what you get....

just bought a 17" tft from komplett.co.uk

Iiyama 17" 1280 x 1024, 16ms - £290 crystal clear on dvd movies

got a 17" Dell one also - the Iiyama beats it hands down on everything

Thanks for that Andy ... looks like it'll either be a really good quality 17" like yours - Iiyama has been recommended by a few people, or a cheaper 19" to get the additional resolution, as sp!ke has said.

S.

http://www.novatech.com

I got one for work from there for £239+vat i think it was...
It's only a budget one, but does the job perfectly and i don't have any quibbles with the quality.

Ricky

sym said:
Thanks for that Andy ... looks like it'll either be a really good quality 17" like yours - Iiyama has been recommended by a few people, or a cheaper 19" to get the additional resolution, as sp!ke has said.

S.

I went from a 17" CRT to a 15" TFT thought that I would miss the bigger monitor but am more than happy with the 15.

I would therefore go with a 17" iiyama, as they make really good monitors.

check out www.digiuk.com they have some good deals.

don't forget to look at the Samsung range of TFTs, their screens are up there with the best (if not the best) and unlike many other manufacturers they will replace monitors if they have any dead pixels - it's important to check what tolerance of these dead pixels is considered "acceptable" by the manufacturer you choose.

I've got 2 samsung 171Ts, they have given flawless performance with no degradation for the last 2 years.

As for being better/worse than CRTs, well. I use them for 3D designe and photorealistic rendering, their colour balance is as accurate and their screen updates as quick as my last remaining NEC multisync CRT.

I held off a long time before buying one based on all the comments made by Spike but that gap has closed.

What is vitally important is the contrast figure that is quoted for an TFT - although like all figures it gets misused by manufacturers and "cheated" you need to have a value of at least 250 although 400 and above is ideal.

HTH

Andy

Last edited:
andy_k said:
don't forget to look at teh Samsung range of TFTs, their screens are up there with the best (if not the best) and unlike many other manufacturers they will replace monitors if they have any dead pixels - it's important to check what tolerance of these deafd pixels is consodered "acceptable" by the manufacturer you choose.

Ive sent countless laptop's back because of this problem. It seems to be more widespread than people think.

Gents
My brother has one of these and he well happy with it.
17" AOC Monitor LM-729 TFT LCD Black & Silver 0.264mmPP, 1280x1024, DVI-D,

He got it from http://www.pcnextday.co.uk. Not bad for just over £200.

Cheers
Ian

sym said:

S.

Sym, yre welcome

Your decision should depend on what you want to use it for - then look for the best deal for that specification

If you aren't fussed about that extra bit of quality - go for cheapest branded you can find

I wouldn't personally buy unbranded

A

sym, a lot of the decent quality 17" TFT are 1280x1024.

I covered most of the points in my other post - also check out warranty deals - not wishing to push the Samsung brand but they do 3 years "on site" and when I claimed on my old Samsung CRT I got a replacement next day.

Spend your money on Ilyama, Sony, Samsung or NEC, you won't go far wrong. There are good deals to be picked up - the high end Dell TFTs are rebadged Samsung and some of the other "unbranded" models are made by the major manufacturers - you lose out on case quality, maybe a slightly lower grade screen and of course service.

Andy

Thanks guys .... I'm working on a potential solution with Mr Kinky at the moment ... will let you know what I end up with!

S.

Well, thanks to Mr Kinky and his army of IBM contacts, I received one of these this morning.

IBM L180p, 18.1", extremely well made, goes up, down, sideways, backwards & forwards, 3 years On-Site warranty, and very pleased with it too .... I can see again !! :D:D

Thanks Kinky & Co. ! :bannana: :bannana:

Attachments

• bg_ibm28.jpg
    bg_ibm28.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
I'd ask Kinky for a refund, looks like someone has shaved off the bottom right hand corner of your screen :p :p :D

Seriously though, looks like a great screen. Nice one :cool:

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom