Thanks to Acid and the 'Torque Flow' boys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Finally got my exhaust modded on my E55 after much debating about what to do. Searched and searched for C63 rear boxes to no avail so in the end decided to go down the secondary cat delete and X pipe route that seems most common place for a bit more of a beefy V8 rumble.

Visited the boys at Torque Flow on Saturday and have to say am really impressed with the quality of the work Imran and Amir have done. The system was made up fully bespoke (inc the fabrication of the X pipe) and they actually replaced far more pipework than I expected. It's a top quality job, it took them a reassuringly long time to do. All welds were done with the exhaust on the bench and look great. Took a few pics, sorry about the quality!

The sound? It has a much deeper muscular tone right through the rev range, even at idle without being intrusive. It hasn't got the raspy V8 C63 sound that I really like but still sounds great and suits the car well.

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:
When is the next MoT due? Or has it been establish removing CATs doesn't mean a fail?

You didn't want that raspy '63 sound anyway :D....

Only kidding, I know what you mean. The sound of Alp's 55 with the 63 back boxes does sound good. But so do the C63's that I see around on the roads quite regularly now....:thumb: In fact I am parked next to one in the work car park today...

Jules.

Great work!!!
A bet it sounds brute ..,., where is the sound clip ??
Don 't like this tread with out it :)

Well done Simon! really pleased you got sorted, I know you were listening to mine and other modded E55's at the E/charged day....you've done the right thing mate, still reserved but when you floor it instant smile:thumb:

Not this debate again:eek:....following letter of the law your right, you just need a friendly MOT tester who does not know the design of the system:D

Check the MoT manual section 7.1.3 - Reason for Rejection - "A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard"

Not this debate again:eek:....following letter of the law your right, you just need a friendly MOT tester who does not know the design of the system:D

It's not a debate..

I'm 100% with you guys on this mod. It makes no material difference to the emissions and the MoT requirement is pure bureaucracy.

But rock up to the *wrong* MoT station and it could get expensive..

That will change from 2014 the VOSA printout will give the tester the original manufacturers exhaust configuration any missing cats = auto fail.

There's a big debate going on in the MOT users group about this because under the strict letter of the law if the configuration is wrong or a cat missing it should be a fail. But what about cars whose exhaust systems are no longer supported by the manufacturers or aftermarket retailers? Where is the problem if the car has a custom exhaust with cat and it passes the emissions? This is going to get very messy going forward so as suggested a friendly MOT tester is a good friend to have

Great work!!!
A bet it sounds brute ..,., where is the sound clip ??
Don 't like this tread with out it :)

I'll do a sound clip in a couple of days.

Will that be for cars registered from 2014?
There was a loop hole for import cars the remit being that said exhaust parts had to be readily available...in some cases cars first registered up to 2006 were a non cat requirement.
Is it me or are they making things too complicated? IMHO if a car passes the emission test that should be enough.

Tony.

That will change from 2014 the VOSA printout will give the tester the original manufacturers exhaust configuration any missing cats = auto fail.

There's a big debate going on in the MOT users group about this because under the strict letter of the law if the configuration is wrong or a cat missing it should be a fail. But what about cars whose exhaust systems are no longer supported by the manufacturers or aftermarket retailers? Where is the problem if the car has a custom exhaust with cat and it passes the emissions? This is going to get very messy going forward so as suggested a friendly MOT tester is a good friend to have

Sounds like I may need a friendly MOT tester then. I thought the mod wasn't an MOT issue but....

Hey Simon,

Glad you had this done! It always brings a smile when I put my foot down (Drive up to Traxx)!

Sounds like I may need a friendly MOT tester then. I thought the mod wasn't an MOT issue but....

When I queried my insurer about this mod they said they would terminate my cover if I went ahead.

Modding ain't what it used to be ... :(

Hey Simon,

Glad you had this done! It always brings a smile when I put my foot down (Drive up to Traxx)!

Hi Don

Unfortunately it doesn't come close to the sound yours makes but still brings a bigger smile to my face. Definitely the right thing for me to do as my car was very muted. I just watched the MSL video and even on the dyno my car seems much quieter than the others.

Stop moaning about the MOT guys
So boring....we talking exhausts here lol

You're right, we should save that discussion for when everyone that has decatted their car fails their MOT in a few months time.

Hopefully the removed cats have all been carefully labelled up ready for welding back in come April 2014. :D

Hi Don

Unfortunately it doesn't come close to the sound yours makes but still brings a bigger smile to my face. Definitely the right thing for me to do as my car was very muted. I just watched the MSL video and even on the dyno my car seems much quieter than the others.

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the compliment! I do agree they are far too muted as standard, now it's almost impossible not to bring up the revs in almost every tunnel I go through :devil:

I need to get a good sound clip of mine, only heard it at MSL dyno!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom