The Beano...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironsheik

Car
W204 C200CDI SPORT.
Does anyone remember how much The Beano Comic cost in the eighties?

Only asking because it came up in a conversation recently and nobody knew the answer even though we all read it as kids.....

I agree about 8p in the early 80's.

I seem to remember the A5-ish sized colour long-stories were about 12p and went up to 16p when I stopped buying them. I guess that was 1983-1985.

My Grandma used to buy it for me every week.
However, at that grand old age of 13, I decided to change my reading habits.
I'd noticed a new magazine on the shelves called 'Performance Car' (I still remember the front cover - it was an Audi 80 quattro).
She started buying me that instead and 29 years later, my cupboards are still full of car magazines.
Thanks, Grandma.

PS - I've just noticed the monthly cost of my growing up was about the same as six Beanos, not the four I told her. Am I going to hell?

My Grandma used to buy it for me every week.
However, at that grand old age of 13, I decided to change my reading habits.
I'd noticed a new magazine on the shelves called 'Penthouse' (I still remember the front cover - it was Anna Nicole-Smith).
She started buying me that instead and 29 years later, my cupboards are still full of girlie magazines.
Thanks, Grandma.

PS - I've just noticed the monthly cost of my growing up was about the same as six Beanos, not the four I told her. Am I going to hell?

Fixed that for you :)

Both The Beano and The Dandy were 3d in the early sixties. That's 1.25p in new money ;)

Read my first Beano in the late 40's, no idea what the price was as money meant little to me then.

Used to share reads of the Beano and Dandy in primary school with Morris Heggie who went on to work for the Beano and then edited the Dandy for 20 years. As archivist for the two publications he reckons Viz based a number of its characters on Dandy favourites!

Just remembered being in the Dennis the Menace fan club.
"DING."

I had some jokes published in Topper, for which I was awarded a wibbly-wobbly pencil.

What do you call a man with a spade on his head?
Dug

What do you call a man without a spade on his head?
Dug-less

What do you call a man with a seagul on his head?
Cliff

What do you call a man with a car on his head?
Jack

I thank you.

Used to share reads of the Beano and Dandy in primary school with Morris Heggie who went on to work for the Beano and then edited the Dandy for 20 years. As archivist for the two publications he reckons Viz based a number of its characters on Dandy favourites!

Ha, I remember Viz in my adolescent years, is it still around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom