The DVLA Has a Sense of Humor?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A relative managed to get a speeding ticket while in the UK... and may be offered a speed awareness course.

Problem is, she has a EU driving license so providing the DVLA with a driving license number isn't the simplest thing on the planet.

After reading several bits of paperwork, it turns out she needs to fill out "form D9" and send it off to the DVLA to get a UK driving license number/counterpart... so she can then be issued some points.

As part of "form D9" there is some helpful advice:
Note: As a result of a change in legislation from April 2009,
European Community (EC) or European Economic Area (EEA)
licence holders will no longer be required to possess a GB
counterpart to take advantage of the fixed penalty system.

Am I the only one who finds this quite funny?

m.

why is it the Tax man can send a 2nd class letter and you get it the next day, but the DVLA 1st class takes about 5 days ??

Does this mean that you can receive UK points on a non UK driving license?

If so, does that mean it can happen the other way around too?

I knew there was talk of this happening but I thought that first they needed to harmonise the points system across the EU.

Does this mean that you can receive UK points on a non UK driving license?

Yes

But wouldn't that be pointless (excuse the pun!) if the licence holder's country doesn't operate a points system?

But wouldn't that be pointless (excuse the pun!) if the licence holder's country doesn't operate a points system?

Its the same thing they use for a 14 year old oik who gets done for speeding, no insurance, no license etc in the UK.

The phantom license means they have somewhere to "tot up" the points.

Likewise, if you get to 12 points you could get banned.

So in theory (I have no idea if this has ever been proven), somebody from the EU could find themselves banned from driving in the UK under totting up on their UK phantom license.

A relative managed to get a speeding ticket while in the UK... and may be offered a speed awareness course.

Problem is, she has a EU driving license so providing the DVLA with a driving license number isn't the simplest thing on the planet.

After reading several bits of paperwork, it turns out she needs to fill out "form D9" and send it off to the DVLA to get a UK driving license number/counterpart... so she can then be issued some points.

As part of "form D9" there is some helpful advice:

Am I the only one who finds this quite funny?

m.

Reading the bit from the DVLA, I read it as,.. a UK licence is NO LONGER REQUIRED. I would not tempt fate. I would tell the DVLA the person who got the ticket has now gone home, however, I presume they were driving your car, how else would they have your address. Or did I read it wrong?

Reading the bit from the DVLA, I read it as,.. a UK licence is NO LONGER REQUIRED. I would not tempt fate. I would tell the DVLA the person who got the ticket has now gone home, however, I presume they were driving your car, how else would they have your address. Or did I read it wrong?

Although you're having to tangle with them over the licence complication, I don't think it's the DVLA who are involved in matters concerning speed awareness courses.
The problem you're having is likely due to the web site validations not being updated to take account of "other" valid licences.

I was nicked last November in Doncaster, but live in Lancashire. Added to that we might have been on the brink of moving to a different region entirely. I didn't want, at that point, to commit to a course in one location because it wasn't clear just where we would be when the appointed date came around.
I contacted the course provider for our region and they twice granted me extensions to the time limit by which the course had to be completed. Very helpful indeed.

As for the course itself - an informally conducted Saturday morning (all classroom based) with friendly instructors, but a bit of a waste of time.
Still, better than the points.

The one useful thing I found out is that my photocard driving licence has an expiry date and needs to be renewed next month.

In principle the UK should record foreign licence details and foreign vehicle details on exit/entry. That means fines and points could be managed to an extent at least sufficient to deter most visitors from messing with the system.

But the UK is basically such a bunch of muppets when it comes to simple data processes: too complicated (no muppets - you're just lazy and stupid) or it would cost billions (no muppets - that's just your incompetent procurement frameworks) or it's not legal (ummmmmm - who sets the laws you dozy muppets?)

It's not my car... nor my license :)

It's m parent's car, which is registered at my address as that's where they leave it when they're out of town. It's cheaper for them to license and insure a UK vehicle rather than rent given how often they're around.

Not sure my mother is too keen to take the course - iirc, leaving aside the waste of time factor; there is also the issue of cost;

Speeding ticket: £60
Speed awareness course: £100 (at least, when I took it a few years ago)

Why would she care about points? I presume if she ever gets to 12 (or whatever the limit is) on her "UK Counterpart" she just stops driving in the UK for a period of time... which isn't an issue (especially considering she's driven for 40 years without a ticket, and now got one for 36 in a 30)

Also -for the D9 form, they ask for the original driving license from the EU country... which isn't going to happen within the time frame as I'm visiting my parents next rather than the other way around!

I just found the wording of the phrase funny :p

M.

...Note: As a result of a change in legislation from April 2009,
European Community (EC) or European Economic Area (EEA)
licence holders will no longer be required to possess a GB
counterpart to take advantage of the fixed penalty system...

It actually makes sense.

The fixed penalty system is an option for motorists to receive a less sever penalty than they otherwise would, in return for forgoing their statuary rights to be heard by a magistrate and produce evidence and witnesses in court etc. It saves court's time and police time (as they do not need to send a policeman to court) and everyone benefits.

The driver still have the option to have his/her case heard in court if he/she disagrees with a fixed penalty notice.

Presumably, up to April 2009, drivers who did not have a GB driving licenses and therefore could not get points on their licenses, were not able to benefit from the low-fine-and-points option (instead of a court hearing).

What the DVLA are saying is that from April 2009, such drivers will now be able to take advantage of this option.

Sounds sensible to me....

I would simply prvide the name and foreign address details of the driver.

If it is a non EU address even better as I've not known the DVLA to bother chasing people abroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom