The Elephant in the Room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a post brexit Britain we are expecting to forge new trade links with China not less. :rolleyes: People in Western democracies have been encouraged to buy stuff made in China because its cheap. There's a reason it's cheap which appears to have been conveniently forgotten.
Perhaps North Korea is simply a reminder that there's always a price to pay.

1280px-18th_National_Congress_of_the_Communist_Party_of_China.jpg

Last edited:
Three Nations have absolutely no intention of calming anything down GJW you must surely by now recognise this....?

This is an issue that can only be solved by humanity at large, the whole of humanity must move against this. No longer will I buy Chinese made. Are you going to join me or just sit there saying Oooo this is bad....
Would be great if we could just get the 'whole of humanity' to simply get along with each other. Not happening. much less becoming sufficiently co-ordinated/focused to deal with the issues presented by the escalating tension between NK and the US.

Thank you for avoiding 'made in China'. I'm sure that the Chinese economy will by Monday have begun to nose-dive, the North Koreans will on Tuesday halt their weapons programme and the slide towards nuclear Armageddon will be averted as a result of your direct action.

FWIW I don't go out of my way to buy items that were made in China, but am confident that Chinese made components are present in many of the products I/we already own and use. Chinese products are endemic. Avoiding them across the board is virtually impossible. Much (in my view too much) of the global economy is tied up with China. Reversing that isn't happening anytime soon either unfortunately.

As for nobody wishing to calm things down; I guess we will just have to see how things work out over time.

It's not NK and the US, anybody who still thinks that is pretty bl00dy stupid.

Oh, for for what it's worth you'll not find a single Asian made product on an ANZAC Class Frigate, not even the paint was made in Asia. If the Germans, Kiwi's and Aussies can do it so can everybody else.

It's not NK and the US, anybody who still thinks that is pretty bl00dy stupid.

Oh, for for what it's worth you'll not find a single Asian made product on an ANZAC Class Frigate, not even the paint was made in Asia. If the Germans, Kiwi's and Aussies can do it so can everybody else.

Well thanks for that. I am done with interacting/responding to your posts in this area. G'day mate!

With Nukes there is nowhere to run to, you have to stand and deliver not run for the hills.

There's only a few Family names in Korea, Kim, Park and a couple of others that I've forgotten now. Awfully confusing when you first arrive but great if you forget names. I had an Inspector there who's Family name was Yu, hey you took on a whole new meaning! :):")

That's niave in the extreme MJ. SK doesn't feel venerable and therefor decides it needs Nukes. It wants to change the world order and have us marching to their, China's and Russia's tune. There is a big difference.

I'll go a bit further, all SK needs to be a China is 15 million odd cheap workers, already they have/had plants and facilities in NK, if SK gets it's hands on those people to liberate them, employ them and give them a future all of a sudden China has some real manufacturing competition. And as we all know SK hates China and has done for years, enough motivation right there to show the world it is better than it's neighbour.

The guy/girl who wrote this is surely a twit and shouldn't be anywhere near a pen IMHO.

Oh, for for what it's worth you'll not find a single Asian made product on an ANZAC Class Frigate, not even the paint was made in Asia.

Hmmmmmm.

I would expect that there will be lots of 'Made in Malaysia', 'Made in Thailand' and the like inside the IT systems.

No, all electronics were Siemens made, in Europe - even the pipe clamps were Swiss.

No, all electronics were Siemens made, in Europe - even the pipe clamps were Swiss.

I think you'll find that the enclosures will have a name on them - but the reality is that the chips and drives and display panels inside will have come from various sources.

When I started out it was common to see military systems with what were effectively bespoke CPUs and lots of stuff built from generic logic chips and maybe logic units and processer slices. These days there's a lot of generic stuff in the the general systems - and I would suspect that even the processing arrays for the sonar and radar systems are actually based on signal processors, CPUs, and gate arrays that you can buy commercially.

So I'll stand by what I said. Take a screw driver to the enclosures and inside you'll find stuff made in interesting places.

Sometimes mil spec stuff that looks special is just rebadged. But the company rebadging it will have tested and certified it and supplied documentation to cover it before rebadging it.

An Intel processor is typically made in several countries. The wafers and ceramic cases are made in two different places, then packaged in a third location.

I did take one enclosure apart to look, it was for the AC system and looked at the bits inside, everything I could see was Siemens. Certainly everything electrical you could see without disassembly was Siemens made in Europe. I am mechanical so I won't argue with you but it was known across the project nothing from Asia was supplied or permitted to be supplied. Must say it was the only project I've been on where they were so strict. It wasn't the type of project to rebrand stuff either - quite refreshing to see such a commitment to maintaining standards.

I'd also say don't speculate on this, it was and still is the highest quality project I had even been on, steel from Germany and on it went, there was NO contamination from Asia.

I hear what you are saying MJ and often it is the same for mech components, the final item is a make up of numerous subitems, but what I am saying with a very high degree of confidence is that ALL items were of European origin, this was a big deal for the controllers of the project. It was a big deal for the US Navy too from memory. Little bits creeping in from elsewhere were a risk that they deliberately went after to nullify.
Very unusual I know.

And FWIW Intel are hardly at the center of the semiconductor industry, the Dutch are with ASML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom