The Lake Vyrnwy Road Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkII

Car
Mercedes C-Class
Long post warning: Better grab a cuppa....

Just spent a couple of very enjoyable days, travelling with my other half, on a road trip around Lake Vyrnwy (mid Wales). The journey was memorable, the scenery stunning and the roads were... 'interesting' :D

Been meaning to drive to the lake for years but sadly my health just hasn't been up to it - sometimes however you have to say 'sod it' and just carry-on inspite of it all - so, having received my treatment on Wednesday afternoon, we set off early Thursday morning, returning on Friday.

If you're looking for a shortish driving holiday, I'd recommend it - hope this helps convince a few others to give it a try (not too many tho' ;) ).

The Route:
From the North/South take the M6/M54/A5 towards Shrewsbury – the County town of Shropshire.

From the Shrewsbury bypass turn left, on to the A458 towards Welshpool and after apprx 5 miles turn right on to the B4393, signposted to Four Crosses and Lake Vyrnwy (brown sign).

Stay on the B4393, past Llandrinio and turn right, still on the B4393, signposted to Four Crosses and Lake Vyrnwy.

At Four Crosses you cross the A483, going straight on at the roundabout, remaining on the B4393 - soon you after you enter Wales and gradually the ‘Slow’ signs on the road are replaced by ‘Araf’.

Continue to Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, turning left on to the A495 before forking right back on to the B4393. At the T-junction with the A490 turn right towards Llanfyllin, a little market town steeped in Celtic legend.

Just out of Llanfyllin (heading down a slope), look for the left turn B4393, for Llanwddyn and Lake Vyrnwy (brown sign). Stay on the winding B4393 towards Llanwddyn but make sure you turn right (after Llanfihangel Garage) to stay on the B4393 for Lake Vyrnwy.

Before driving over the viaduct, a visit to The Lake Vyrnwy Hotel is recommended – the restaurant/bar are open to non-residents and it’s a great place to stay if you’re exploring the area, with nicely appointed rooms, spectacular views over the lake and a Spa to ease any aches and pains.

Return to the B4393 and cross the viaduct, onto the left side of the lake - there are well maintained public toilets just over the viaduct, if you need them. The B4393 goes all the way around the lake, so you if you prefer a short drive, you can simply circumnavigate the lake.

Important: The next section of the journey takes you onto single track road over the mountains – it’s a spectacular route but it’s also a narrow and sometimes uneven road – bear this in mind if you have a wide car (no Aventadors),19”/20” alloys or limited ground clearance!! There is nowhere to turn!!

Turn left at Eunant for Dinas Mawddwy (signposted 10 miles). The road is single track and rises steeply through moorland. You’re unlikely to meet too much traffic but caution is advised as the passing places are few and far between.

On a clear day, the views are stunning, especially at the far end of the pass – looking down the valley, towards Cader Idris (2,930ft). Turn left here, signposted for Dinas Mawddwy – the road ahead is more like an Alpine pass – ok it’s not Stelvio but it’s good for the UK.

The road then winds slowly downwards through the village of Llanymawddwy to Dinas Mawddwy. Turn right here onto the A470 towards Dolgellau and you’ll travel over another pass albeit a two lane one this time.

Stay on the A470 and you'll pass the Cross Foxes Inn, continue along the A470, until you reach the B4416 – turn right here, signposted for Brithdir. This route saves having to drive further along the A470 only to return up the A494.

Follow the B4416 until you reach the A494 and turn right, signposted for Bala (Llyn Tegid). Follow this road for 15 miles, until you come to Bala Lake. If time allows you can break your journey here and stretch your legs. The town isn’t massive but there’s parking on the high street, public toilets here and a few eateries – try Plas-yn-Dre, at the far end of the high street.

Important: The next section of the route takes you over the Hirnant pass, with narrow roads. The alternative is to return via the major A roads A494/A5 Corwen/Oswestry/Shrewsbury.

For the mountain route, at the end of Bala high street take the right turn for Llangynog B4391. Follow this road away from Bala and as you ascend the hill, look out for a turning signposted for Rhos y gwaliau & Lake Vyrnwy (brown sign).

The road, at first maybe 1½ car widths, runs alongside the river Hirnant. Initially enclosed by rolling hills and woodland it eventually opens up to heather covered moorland and the climb up and over the pass.

Again, there are passing places but you need to be cautious and considerate – this isn’t a place for racing!!

Eventually you descend back down to Rhiwargor at the far end of Lake Vyrnwy. The B4393 takes you back along to the hotel or your journey home.

If you’re travelling some distance, then a stay overnight (possibly at The Lake Vyrnwy Hotel or Cross Foxes) is well advised – the roads and scenery are spectacular but require much concentration, so better to be fresh when arriving and departing.

A few pics from our trip:
Rodney's Pillar - not as impressive as Rodney would have you believe ;)

The old Workhouse at Llanfyllin - now a kind of arts centre.

Noticed what appeared to be a 'Hazard - Jumping Dolphins' sign, only to find some bright spark had amended the 'bend with right turn' sign - funny tho'...

A glorious view of Wales from the B4393.

First view of the gothic water tower at Lake Vyrnwy.

Photo op on the drive up to the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel.

The Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa.

A photogenic Pheasant at the hotel - sadly I didn't get a model release form :thumb:

View from the balcony.

The car parked in the glorious sunshine, at a picnic area beside the lake.

First part of the mountain pass route, towards Dinas Mawddwy.

My other half, capturing the view across the moorland - I was busy driving.
The tiny, tiny, grey dot you can see, off in the distance, atop the nearest hill (left of centre) is the head of the pass.

Looking down, from the top of the pass, towards Cader Idris.

Sadly I was feeling too tired to get any pics of the Hirnant pass but after a brief rest, this is back at Lake Vernwy, early evening.

Sun dappled evening view of the B4393, with Lake Vyrnwy in the distance.

Lakeside before heading for the hotel.

All in all we had a great time and although I'm now dosed up on pain killers again :(, we made a whole heap of good memories :thumb:

Basic route to Lake Vyrnwy courtesy of Brenda Parry - The Telegraph 'Great drives: On the borderline' 2002.

Last edited:
Fantastic post Mark. Big fat pat on the back for you attempting such a trip whilst feeling so poor. I understand the "to hell with it" attitude otherwise you'll end up doing nothing.

The beautiful pictures are yet another reminder of just how lucky we are to live in the Uk. The 3 of us had 4 days up the west coast of Scotland with equally stunning scenery.

Thanks for sharing and well done.

Ant.

P.S. Love the new C250. Looks a stunner.

Fantastic post Mark. Big fat pat on the back for you attempting such a trip whilst feeling so poor. I understand the "to hell with it" attitude otherwise you'll end up doing nothing.

The beautiful pictures are yet another reminder of just how lucky we are to live in the Uk. The 3 of us had 4 days up the west coast of Scotland with equally stunning scenery.

Thanks for sharing and well done.

Ant.

P.S. Love the new C250. Looks a stunner.

Thanks Ant :thumb: - I know you're suffering too but am glad you and yours also had a good trip - as, you say "to hell with it"!

Not been to Scotland for ages - where did you go?

Mark

Fabulous post. You are an inspiration. Well done to you and your good lady.

Thanks Bruce!! As you know, the only way is to 'Keep on Keeping On' but also, in reality, I'm just too darned stubborn to give up :D

My 'good lady' will be ****-a-hoop at receiving a mention, so thanks for that also - you're a gent :thumb:

Edit: As the automatic profanity system has rejected my 17th century english - she will instead be 'over-the-moon' :)

Last edited:
Cheers mucca.

We travelled right up the west coast then across to Elgin to visit friends for 2 days, then back down again via Lock Ness. Beautiful roads. Make driving a pleasure.

Take it easy mate, and thanks again for a truely inspiring thread.

Ant.

Cheers mucca.

We travelled right up the west coast then across to Elgin to visit friends for 2 days, then back down again via Lock Ness. Beautiful roads. Make driving a pleasure.

Take it easy mate, and thanks again for a truely inspiring thread.

Ant.

Wow Ant, that's a fair old journey, even when you're already in Scotland to begin with and even if you were feeling 100%! Good on ya :thumb:

You take it easy too mate and too all who carry on regardless 'may the road rise up to meet you' :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom