the present engine and gear box range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s88

Car
E320CDI & SL350
Had the E 320cdi in for service today and got to looking around.

We are tempted to downsize, to a C, ( kids, 21 and 18 rarely go in).

Have couple of nice E 220cdi in Doncaster, especially the designo blue, sadly with light interior.
Indigolite blue also has light interior.
But think these may be sluggish or noisier and are not a down size in size!

A nice 3 litre one owner with les than 2K miles as well, tempting. But not a down size.
E coupe looks nice as well, but a big car.

So onto the C not many 3 litre diesels about so is the 250cdi the engine of choice.
Is it imperative to get the new 7 speed box?

Prefer comfort over sport, so not too keen on 220cdi's on low tyres.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

s88

Its not really a downsize to spend £15k on changing cars though...

You have to want to change to make the move.

Downsizing means moving down in size, but really down in power.

I'm not a 7g fan, most are so it pains me to say, aye 7g may well suit you. A C220/C250 are fine and a c250cdi is probably as fast, if not faster, than your E320cdi.

Thanks for that ***.
Money is there to be spent( you do get to a point in life where you feel vulnerable and there may not be a rainy day) I am afraid and I was trying to help the wife out, she has managed with the E ( it was me that hit the garage door edges several times last year!!)
so you would favour the older box on the 3 litre diesel?
I think I could live with that, smaller car similar engine, v6 instead of straight.
Always a consideration ( mpg) but the 7G is supposed to be more efficient, as is the 250cdi.

Said that I do like the V6 diesel.

I could happily go down in power the car, get the "other" car out when I want a thrash!

Thanks again,

Last edited:
The V6 CDI engine is great on paper, more powerful than the I6 and very economical and a whole lot more refined. However, it's quite a problematic beast.

I ****ing hate 7g and I know my next car will not be a) a v6CDi b) a 7g.

I may consider a 7g plus car. I'd go for a pre blue efficiency C220cdi if I were you. 170bhp, single turbo and 5g. Or a late 211 220cdi. Not that much less powerful and a bit more economical and very proven and reliable engines. The new blue efficiency 4pot engines have a complex two turbo set up and are too new on the market to know if they'll be a good long term reliability proposition.

7g does add efficiency, but it blunts performance, stats of 5g and 7g 250cdi show the 7g car to have significantly slower 0-60 (and presumably slower between 30 and 50 then).

I wouldn't wipe my ar5e with 7g if I could choose the transmission for my car again.

Why not build a bigger garage, and buy a bigger car?.;)

Why not build a bigger garage, and buy a bigger car?.;)

Cheers Woody,
I did think of that and was looking to change the garage front.

A lot of space is wasted between the cars.

The garage is 23 foot square! Which I thought big enough.
Up and over doors were too narrow, due to wood frames etc.
I changed the doors to a roll ups and it made all the difference! So far.

I still shudder as I go though though, sensors bleeping dont help, I did wonder if I was losing peripheral vision.

The sensors are a tad over zelous...

A smaller car may suit you, a C220cdi may well be more suitable if you don't have a need for a larger car.

Not sure that there is much difference in width between a C and an E class, the E is about 10" longer though. The Avantgarde is supposedly more comfortable than the Sport, though that may also depend on what wheels are fitted mine are 17" and I don't find it too bad. The best thing is to go and try a C at your local dealer.

My garage is very large, however, I drive one in nose first, leaving a cap at the drivers side (rather rotund) I reverse the other one in, again leaving room at the drivers side, I find this works well. If length is a problem, reverse in with a helper, when parked hang an object (cotton bobbin) so that it rests on the rear window, even in an unlit garage just stop when the bobbin 'taps' the rear screen.

I have just "down sized" from a W212 350Cdi ('09) to a W204 250Cdi ('12). The g/box in the new Class does seem quite a bit better than in the E, maybe that's what the + in 7+ is for!
As for fuel consumption, the E averaged 26.7mpg over 10100 miles, mostly town driving. I can't really comment on the C mpg though, only done about 100 miles so far. A 90 mile round trip tomorrow will give me some idea as to how much better it is over the E.
Power wise, the E had loads of torque, but the C is no sloutch either. And I think I will like the C more as it seems more a drivers car, hth.

Noticing that you're in sunny Donny, if you want to have a drive of a V6 CDI with the 7 speed gearbox (albeit a four year old W211 320 Sport), you're more than welcome to try mine.

Not sure that there is much difference in width between a C and an E class, the E is about 10" longer though. The Avantgarde is supposedly more comfortable than the Sport, though that may also depend on what wheels are fitted mine are 17" and I don't find it too bad. The best thing is to go and try a C at your local dealer.

Cheers, the wife has just checked the manuals and tells me it is 3 inches diff in width.

Some men can live without it! To me 3 inches is a lot.

Noticing that you're in sunny Donny, if you want to have a drive of a V6 CDI with the 7 speed gearbox (albeit a four year old W211 320 Sport), you're more than welcome to try mine.

Sweatpea,

Thanks for the kind offer.

Am getting puzzled over this 7 G box, as there are 2011 cars in the dealer without it and some with?

Just been out in the E and remarked what a great car it is, when on the move; it is the pulling away and slow speed that chugs a bit but I can live with it.
In all honesty it is probably the best car we have ever had and takes the number 1 spot off a saab.
Just had it serviced at 67000, bought at around 30,000 in 2007.
2004 model, one owner. It has a long way to go, dealer said a cabbie would snap it up and take it around the clock several times!

Not sure what side of Donny you are on but if ever passing Woodhouse feel free to call in for a beer/wine and chat about cars.

All the best ,
s88

Sweatpea,

Thanks for the kind offer.

Am getting puzzled over this 7 G box, as there are 2011 cars in the dealer without it and some with?

Just been out in the E and remarked what a great car it is, when on the move; it is the pulling away and slow speed that chugs a bit but I can live with it.
In all honesty it is probably the best car we have ever had and takes the number 1 spot off a saab.
Just had it serviced at 67000, bought at around 30,000 in 2007.
2004 model, one owner. It has a long way to go, dealer said a cabbie would snap it up and take it around the clock several times!

Not sure what side of Donny you are on but if ever passing Woodhouse feel free to call in for a beer/wine and chat about cars.

All the best ,
s88
I've only just noticed your reply.

The 7 speed gearbox is in the V6 350 CDi E-Class, iirc the W212 E200/220/250 CDi all have the 5 speed.

Your car is barely broke in at 67k, I've owned an IL6 320 CDi with 260k on the clock and you couldn't tell between that and one with 100k on!

By Woodhouse, do you mean Hatfield Woodhouse? I'm out that way quite often, I'll send you a PM the next time I've got a spare hour.:thumb:

The 7 speed gearbox is in the V6 350 CDi E-Class, iirc the W212 E200/220/250 CDi all have the 5 speed.

The 7 speed box became standard across the range of 4 pot engined models last year.

Dryce said:
The 7 speed box became standard across the range of 4 pot engined models last year.

There is a 7g plus fitted to the 4 pots that are facelifted 204s and from a few months ago all automatic 212s. I am lead to believe its a significant improvement over the 7g I have and was fitted prior to the roll out of 7g plus

Can't help with the gearbox question but I'm certainly pleased with my manual c250 and it is pretty economical if I only floor the right foot occasionally ..

Cheers, the wife has just checked the manuals and tells me it is 3 inches diff in width.

Some men can live without it! To me 3 inches is a lot.

The dimension you want to worry about when comparing C to E is the wheelbase [ distance of front wheel centre to rear wheel centre] and the kerb weight. Has a slight down side vis a vis handling and fuel consumption but makes the E a much better riding car imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom