The 'promise' of cheaper fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe most fuel companies will sell you discounted fuel if you have a big enough tank in your back garden. (or under it).
Probably lots of safety regs to comply with too.

Interesting concept.... I think you'd be rather brave to give'em your CC info before they become a recognised legal business though.

I doubt our current powers that be will allow it mind.

Another variation on the "personal import" Customs duty schemes. Booze aleady a big target, fags killed off a while ago while ago (Remember "Death" cigarettes?) and this one equally doomed.

One guess who will be liable for the duty if it fails?

Autocar article 13th July 2004

....a spokesman for UK Customs says....
"What Draxfuel is suggesting would be illegal".
"At present, people have to buy continental fuel themselves, and bring it back in person in order to qualify for the tax exclusion".

............Any scheme that transports the fuel on behalf of others indicates it is for a commercial purpose and not entitled to relief of duty.

ok - so what if i run a really long hose pipe from my friendly frog petrol station to my house in the UK... leave the tap on over there, and open it at my house as and when needed... and phone 'em up every now and again to pay for the fuel.

in theory....

Last edited:
PJH said:
I believe most fuel companies will sell you discounted fuel if you have a big enough tank in your back garden. (or under it).
Probably lots of safety regs to comply with too.

Also the law says that you can't store more than something quite insubstantial, like around 3 gallons? I read it on the Shell forecourt, but can't remember the exact figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom