Thinking of buying an E62 estate, some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gerrym

Car
2013 X218 CLS63 SB
Sorry about the title of the thread!!

Hi, I am looking to get back in to an E63. I have read that there is a hefty service that includes spark plugs and transmission oil (£1,000+).
Can you tell me when this normally occurs please.
I am looking for a 2014 E63 estate with about 20k to 35k miles. Want to make sure I am well before, or after, the point where it needs a serious service. I will be buying from an MB dealer so I get the 2 year warranty so not worried about that side of things.

Cheers

Gerry

Last edited:
Hi Gerry,

Not being funny but although I understand your thinking, a spark plug service/ATF change (or £1k in terms of money) is surely a drop in the ocean compared to the overall picture of running a newish E63?

What I'm trying to say is don't get too fixated on that one issue, surely the overall deal is more important and obviously the spec/condition/colour of the car in question. A set of tyres or brakes are probably more expensive than the cost of a plug change :)

I like the fact that after having had one you want another one, despite there being a range of alternatives available :thumb:.

Regarding servicing etc - I'd be looking for the right car, regardless which side of a big service it was - there's always some price negotiation to soften the blow.

Hi Gerry,

Not being funny but although I understand your thinking, a spark plug service/ATF change (or £1k in terms of money) is surely a drop in the ocean compared to the overall picture of running a newish E63?

What I'm trying to say is don't get too fixated on that one issue, surely the overall deal is more important and obviously the spec/condition/colour of the car in question. A set of tyres or brakes are probably more expensive than the cost of a plug change :)

Actually Will, that's a really good point, in the grand scheme of things. Just if I could get the right car and it had this service done already, then a bonus!

Cheers

Gerry

I like the fact that after having had one you want another one, despite there being a range of alternatives available :thumb:.

Regarding servicing etc - I'd be looking for the right car, regardless which side of a big service it was - there's always some price negotiation to soften the blow.

I had an E63 three years ago, loved it but needed a boot for the dog. So since then I have had an SQ5, a CLS 350 estate, a RR Autobiography and now a BMW GT 335D.
However, when I look back having owned over 30 cars, the E63 is the best car, no question. I am even including my beautiful AM Vantage in that list!

I really need to get back in to a petrol car after driving crap sounding diesels, there is only one car for me, the E63. I also need the boot so it needs to be the Estate!

Cheers

Gerry

Sorry about the title of the thread!!

Hi, I am looking to get back in to an E63. I have read that there is a hefty service that includes spark plugs and transmission oil (£1,000+).
Can you tell me when this normally occurs please.
I am looking for a 2014 E63 estate with about 20k to 35k miles. Want to make sure I am well before, or after, the point where it needs a serious service. I will be buying from an MB dealer so I get the 2 year warranty so not worried about that side of things.

Cheers

Gerry
Hi,

They aren't particularly highly strung cars from a service perspective - unlike the BMW M cars with the S54 engine or the S85 engine.

They require servicing every year or on variable mileage whichever is dictated by the use of the car.

At 30K miles / 3 years they need the rear axle oil changed, transmission oil changed and engine air filter changed in addition to the normal lubrication servicing and checks. I think spark plugs are done at 6 years / 60K miles..

And that's it..

They aren't that much more from a servicing perspective than a 6 cyl diesel E class.

When i bought mine, i bought it with a prepaid service plan from mercedes for 3 years and it costs around £40 per month.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Plugs are changed every 4th service, i.e. on every other B service.

As others have said, find the right car and negotiate on price if a costly service is due next.

Personally, I'd be looking closely at the condition of the front discs and pads rather than worrying about whether the plugs need changing at the next service. Plugs are included in a Service Care plan, discs and pads aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plugs are changed every 4th service, i.e. On every other b service.

As others have said, find the right car and negotiate on price if a costly service is due next.

Personally, i'd be looking closely at the condition of the front discs and pads rather than worrying about whether the plugs need changing at the next service. Plugs are included in a service care plan, discs and pads aren't.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom