Thinking of buying this E63 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quick question for anyone in the know, will a ghost anti-theft thing and a Quaife LSD invalidate an MB AMG warranty?
No, and no in that order.

Longer explanation: Quaife LSD could only affect the manufacturer warranty on diff components which are warranted by Quaife anyway. Aftermarket anti-theft devices are so commonplace it’s hard to see a problem as long as you use a competent installer, who would take responsibility for anything they did / fitted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what Phil said up there ^^, but I'm posting this anyway as I'd already typed it out. :D

Quick question for anyone in the know, will a ghost anti-theft thing and a Quaife LSD invalidate an MB AMG warranty?

Really pleased for you and hope you have many happy years with the car. :)

Neither of the above will affect the warranty. The Ghost system doesn't use any MB electronics, and the diff will be totally invisible to them. Were the rear axle to blow up, they may have a get-out clause, though I've yet to hear of this happening

Thanks CJD, I can't wait tbh. Its my first almost new car for me. The wife seems OK with it as well, although she still thinks I'm daft. I work hard enough though and I've been looking at the E class for a long time. I'm not sure on white, but the spec, mileage, power, everything about it really, made me want it. I'll sure to post up some pics and hopefully be able to provide help and advice to others about this car long into my ownership on here. I plan to keep it for 4 years which is how long I had the CLS for and hopefully one day get an E-class 63 4-matic estate because I love the tech and cab. I'll wait until the warranty runs out before looking at mods. I'll probably only get an Quaife LSD as 550BHP is more than enough.
It’s 557 and you’ll probably find it’s running more anyway- I had mine dyno run at 560 and I’m sure would have been more if they were able to keep the power down on the rear wheel ( reminds me of someone else!)

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. What is the best place to get a Quaife LSD fitted, I'm in the North East?

MSL Performance.

OK, they're down in Birmingham but most of the guys up North use them as it's well worth the trip. :)

MSL Performance.

OK, they're down in Birmingham but most of the guys up North use them as it's well worth the trip. :)

Wow, why didn't I think of them, they carried out loads of work on my CLS in Jan, fantastic experience as well.

Picked it up today and first impressions are wow, I'll post later with pics perhaps. Btw not to be confused with the thread title, I bought a saloon having looked at the estate not liking the spec. I think I got myself a great deal on this one and while it was sad to see the CLS go which took me and my mate upto Glasgow effortlessly, the difference between the two cars are huge.

Congrats Chris, loved every one of the 18,000 miles I did in mine over 14 months of ownership

Some pics...

ibfe3d.jpg

2lsi9uh.jpg

t8w9cl.jpg

23qucw.jpg

very nice. Now get some miles on it!!

Well...

What can I say, its an awesome machine it really is.

First of all the experience with the dealer Mercedes Benz Glasgow and in particular their salesman Bob was brilliant. No hard sell, no pressure, just straight forward buying. They originally offered me a test drive but being from the North East it was a long way to go to drive an E63 for 20 minutes or so. I knew I wanted it so after agreeing a part ex price for mine I left a deposit and within an hour the car was removed from their website and I was getting spec lists, finance options and all the information I needed.

Bob assured me the car will be presented to me in showroom condition and boy it was. When I collected it around noon yesterday it was centre-stage in their showroom and covered with an AMG cover, when he took it off to reveal the car I was blown away and made to feel really special. Especially given there were a handful of people browsing cars inside the showroom. One guy actually clapped when I took the key off the dealer and sat inside and started it up. More on that later...

Lucky guy he said. I am indeed.

After signing all the documents and a bit of a play inside the car at the showroom, setting up my phone and the sat nav etc. I was then took on a brief test drive, with Bob doing the driving showing me how this and that works and then he left me and my pal to leave and go on our merry way. It took about an hour to buy the car. I was most impressed.

The 150 mile or so drive home was a pleasure and I managed to get it up to 150 cough cough and it felt effortless. On start up the car kind of growls and then there is like a bang and then it settled down. Revving it produces an even louder noise from the exhaust.

It sounds better than my CLS55 did stock, but nowhere near as loud and as brutal after I got an x-pipe, cats removed and resonator box and to be honest, I quite like the sedated kind of noise of the E63. Open it up though and the V8 noise is brutal and a delight.

Inside the car its very quiet and well put together, I love the chunky steering wheel and even the flappy paddles seem good. Its well specced with rear roller blind, lane assist, linguatronic, parking sensors, reverse camera, 7 speaker HK, cruise control, heated and cooled front seats, sport + mode, safe distance from car in front warning thing and I believe massage seats.

It feels much bigger inside than my CLS and much better put together, a level above if you like and less noisier.

Its very easy to drive and already I think I've sussed all the toys and things.

Its very powerful, but it doesn't feel as rapid as the CLS, maybe that's because its not supercharged or because I'm too used to the CLS.

The dealer said it has a LSD fitted, I don't know if its a stock one or an after market one like the Quaife LSD. Is there anyway of knowing and if it does have an LSD that is stock, does that therefore render the need for a Quaife LSD obsolete? It felt very planted and the TC rarely kicked in when flooring it despite the wet and damp conditions. The car comes with almost new P zero tires as well and again it looks and feels absolutely brand new.

I love it. Although it being white with panoramic roof and matte black/dark grey alloys it does draw attention.

Alas my CLS, what a car, I enjoyed every moment of it and I will always love that make and car, but it was time to move on. It took me to Glasgow in comfort, style and with ease. An awesome awesome car and that engine I believe will go down in MB legend as one of their best ever if not the best.

The dealer sadly didn't even look at my car, he collected the keys and told me to park it in a bay. I imagine it will be flat bedded out of there and place in a car auction for independent dealers to fight over, MB being happy to get their money back or a bit of profit.

MB also refunded my fuel to get there and my food and drinks and gave me more than a half tank of fuel. I also got a 2 year AMG warranty, alloy wheel insurance and 2 year AMG UK & European breakdown cover.

21k miles, one previous owner, diamond white and a stonking car. I'm so happy and will hopefully take it on a few trips to France and Germany in the coming years. Thanks for all your help and advice guys, much appreciated.

I JUST BOUGHT MYSELF AN AMG!

(said Mike Brewer style)

The dealer said it has a LSD fitted, I don't know if its a stock one or an after market one like the Quaife LSD. Is there anyway of knowing and if it does have an LSD that is stock, does that therefore render the need for a Quaife LSD obsolete? It felt very planted and the TC rarely kicked in when flooring it despite the wet and damp conditions.
If it has the factory LSD then on the OASIS report or Datacard you will find Option Code 471 AMG rear axle limited-slip differential lock. If it has an aftermarket LSD fitted then you'll have to see how good it is at laying number elevens :)

From your description of how the TC rarely kicked in it certainly sounds as through you have an LSD of one form or another. In wet, slippery, conditions it's very easy to get the stability control working on a car with an open diff. There's no real point in putting a Quaife diff in the car if it already has the factory LSD.

Well done, awesome car you got there and if it’s got the LSD that’s quite a rare factory fit!

Glad you like it Chris.

Your observation about it not feeling as "rapid" as your previous one could be deceptive though, probably due to the way the power's delivered. It doesn't come in all in one lump, but very subtly throughout the rev range which, as you've found out, can very quickly get you into licence losing territory. :)

As Phil states above, the traction light is normally a constant feature on these cars especially in the wet so, if yours isn't appearing very often, you may have struck lucky. Phil also mentions option 471, though on mine this is changed to "467 AMG electronic rear-axle limited-slip differential". Not sure if this is just on the W213 or if it was changed on the 212 but the main thing is to look for "limited slip".

If the option isn't there then it's a good opportunity to practice your burnout techniques to make sure both rears smoke. :D

Hope you have many happy miles with it. :)

Congrats Chris. I'm very envious.

I wonder how long it will take before the lure of a remap and resonator delete arrive.:D

If it has the factory LSD then on the OASIS report or Datacard you will find Option Code 471 AMG rear axle limited-slip differential lock. If it has an aftermarket LSD fitted then you'll have to see how good it is at laying number elevens :)

From your description of how the TC rarely kicked in it certainly sounds as through you have an LSD of one form or another. In wet, slippery, conditions it's very easy to get the stability control working on a car with an open diff. There's no real point in putting a Quaife diff in the car if it already has the factory LSD.

Hmmm, it doesn't mention one on the spec sheet, maybe the dealer got confused with TC. I took it for a spin for 20 minutes or so just a short while ago, damp conditions, and no sign of the TC light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom