Thinking of buying this E63 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you like it Chris.

Your observation about it not feeling as "rapid" as your previous one could be deceptive though, probably due to the way the power's delivered. It doesn't come in all in one lump, but very subtly throughout the rev range which, as you've found out, can very quickly get you into licence losing territory. :)

As Phil states above, the traction light is normally a constant feature on these cars especially in the wet so, if yours isn't appearing very often, you may have struck lucky. Phil also mentions option 471, though on mine this is changed to "467 AMG electronic rear-axle limited-slip differential". Not sure if this is just on the W213 or if it was changed on the 212 but the main thing is to look for "limited slip".

If the option isn't there then it's a good opportunity to practice your burnout techniques to make sure both rears smoke. :D

Hope you have many happy miles with it. :)

Cheers and yeah, this feels quicker higher up the rev range, but just not as rapid from pulling away. It feels kind of heavy as well.

I'm not liking the sat nav, I've never liked the MB ones and the reversing camera is handy, but I would have preferred 3D. I'm spoiled though as the wife's X-Trail has a great sat nav, reverse camera and radio rolled into one.

PS Are there any sites where I can get the full spec sheet from? Like how someone got the spec list from the first car I linked to in here. Thanks.

Put your Vin# into this site for your datacard.

Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder

Thanks its not showing any LSD, but seems very well specced:

054 YOM 13/2
06A OIL OFFSET AMOUNT +600 ML OIL
108 CONTROL CODE MARKETING
1U2 SNOW GRID
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
211 EPS STEERING (ELECTRIC STEERING)
218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
22P TRACK PACKAGE
234 BLIND SPOT ASSISTANT
235 ACTIVE PARK ASSIST
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
255B MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD
258 COLLIS.WARN. SYS. W/ ACTIVE BRAKE INTERV. FCW STOP
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
279 ELECTRONIC GEAR RANGE SELECTION
281 AMG PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
291 PELVIS AIRBAG (PELVISBAG)
294 KNEE AIRBAG
298 SIDEBAGS IN REAR WITH BELT FORCE LIMITER
309 CUP HOLDER
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
347 EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM ECALL EUROPE
35A VGS D4-0, D3 PATTERN
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
409 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT
413 PANORAMIC SLIDING SUNROOF/GLASS SUNROOF
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
476 AUTOMATIC LANE RECOGNITION
488 CHASSIS WITH STEEL/AIR SUSPENSION
4U4 RADIATOR GRILLE WITH CENTER STAR
502 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE
518 UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI)
51U BLACK FABRIC ROOF INTERIOR TRIM
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
628 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH PLUS (IHC+)
641 DYNAMIC LED HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
670 RESIDUAL ENGINE HEAT UTILIZATION (MRA)
6P5 STEUERCODE VERTRIEB FUER CODE 475 ANFORDERUNG
736 TRIM PIECES - ASH TREE WOOD BLACK (2A70)
752 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
776 WHEEL ARCH ENLARGEMENT
799U DIAMOND WHITE - METALLIC PAINT
804 YOM 23/1
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
810A LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
861A LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
871 SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
881 REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 KEYLESS - GO
89V SPEED- + LOADINDEX ZR19 XL+ZR19 XL
915 FUEL TANK WITH GREATER CAPACITY - VOLUME 2
927 EURO 6 TECHNOLOGY EXHAUST GAS CLEANING
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
968 COC PAPER EURO6 TECH. W/O REGISTRATION CERT.PART 2
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A15 I-VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS4 AND FBS4
A20 STARTER GENERATOR
A21 SHIFT BY WIRE
A89 REDUCED-FRICTION
B03 DIRECT START / ECO START/STOP FUNCTION
B06 BRAKE CALIPERS PAINTED SILVER
B08 ELECTRONIC HORN
B12 WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL
B28 CARBON OUTSIDE MIRROR
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA
D5B No code designation available
F212 MODEL SERIES 212
FW LIMOUSINE
G931 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 31
GV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REINFORCED
HA REAR AXLE
J5A DSM: STAR1 FBS4 UPDATE
J81 CHANGED OIL FILLING OM613
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K14 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM
M157 V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M157 - AMG
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
N42 STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
P17 KEYLESS-GO PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U01 REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION
U09 LEATHER-CLAD INST.PANEL + BELTLINE (ART. EMBOSSED)
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U26 FLOOR MATS - AMG
U47 SPOILER LIP
U72 DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

Congrats Chris. I'm very envious.

I wonder how long it will take before the lure of a remap and resonator delete arrive.:D

When the 2 year warranty runs out, it gives me plenty of time to save a few quid for any future mods.

Congrats Chris, that looks like a lovely motor and very well spec'd at that! Good to hear the comparison to your CLS as having owned one, the power delivery & noise on those beasts is so addictive. Surely the new toy cannot be as slow as you updating your signature :p
Which end of the NE are you? North or South?

Hi Abb, North NE, Newcastle actually. I will have to update my sig ha ha. I'll have nightmares about getting rid of the CLS and will miss it massively. I was going to keep it, but without a garage it just wasn't possible. Whoever gets my car will get a mechanically spot on car that perhaps needs a respray due to stone chips and scratches, that's if they want it 100% spot on. The new car feels, well new, its very well built. No rattles or creaks and feels solid and safe even at daft speeds which I don't typically drive at to be fair, despite getting 150 out of the new one. I had to open it up, all done in a safe and controlled manner I might add. My mate who was a passenger said it felt like a rocket from 90 to 150 and quicker at that end than the CLS which was brutal from 0-90 really. I don't think I'll sway away from the AMG brand for my own personal ME car. I just love everything about them, the noise, the engine, the looks, the cab, everything. I don't want to get into car wars, but an AMG is a different animal to the rest. Hooked for life!

Reactions: Abb
Thanks its not showing any LSD, but seems very well specced:

054 YOM 13/2
06A OIL OFFSET AMOUNT +600 ML OIL
108 CONTROL CODE MARKETING
1U2 SNOW GRID
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
211 EPS STEERING (ELECTRIC STEERING)
218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
22P TRACK PACKAGE
234 BLIND SPOT ASSISTANT
235 ACTIVE PARK ASSIST
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
255B MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD
258 COLLIS.WARN. SYS. W/ ACTIVE BRAKE INTERV. FCW STOP
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
279 ELECTRONIC GEAR RANGE SELECTION
281 AMG PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
291 PELVIS AIRBAG (PELVISBAG)
294 KNEE AIRBAG
298 SIDEBAGS IN REAR WITH BELT FORCE LIMITER
309 CUP HOLDER
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
347 EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM ECALL EUROPE
35A VGS D4-0, D3 PATTERN
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
409 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT
413 PANORAMIC SLIDING SUNROOF/GLASS SUNROOF
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
476 AUTOMATIC LANE RECOGNITION
488 CHASSIS WITH STEEL/AIR SUSPENSION
4U4 RADIATOR GRILLE WITH CENTER STAR
502 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE
518 UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI)
51U BLACK FABRIC ROOF INTERIOR TRIM
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
628 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH PLUS (IHC+)
641 DYNAMIC LED HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
670 RESIDUAL ENGINE HEAT UTILIZATION (MRA)
6P5 STEUERCODE VERTRIEB FUER CODE 475 ANFORDERUNG
736 TRIM PIECES - ASH TREE WOOD BLACK (2A70)
752 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
776 WHEEL ARCH ENLARGEMENT
799U DIAMOND WHITE - METALLIC PAINT
804 YOM 23/1
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
810A LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
861A LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
871 SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
881 REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 KEYLESS - GO
89V SPEED- + LOADINDEX ZR19 XL+ZR19 XL
915 FUEL TANK WITH GREATER CAPACITY - VOLUME 2
927 EURO 6 TECHNOLOGY EXHAUST GAS CLEANING
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
968 COC PAPER EURO6 TECH. W/O REGISTRATION CERT.PART 2
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A15 I-VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS4 AND FBS4
A20 STARTER GENERATOR
A21 SHIFT BY WIRE
A89 REDUCED-FRICTION
B03 DIRECT START / ECO START/STOP FUNCTION
B06 BRAKE CALIPERS PAINTED SILVER
B08 ELECTRONIC HORN
B12 WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL
B28 CARBON OUTSIDE MIRROR
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA
D5B No code designation available
F212 MODEL SERIES 212
FW LIMOUSINE
G931 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 31
GV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REINFORCED
HA REAR AXLE
J5A DSM: STAR1 FBS4 UPDATE
J81 CHANGED OIL FILLING OM613
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K14 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM
M157 V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M157 - AMG
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
N42 STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
P17 KEYLESS-GO PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U01 REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION
U09 LEATHER-CLAD INST.PANEL + BELTLINE (ART. EMBOSSED)
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U26 FLOOR MATS - AMG
U47 SPOILER LIP
U72 DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
Apparently mine doesn’t have LSD either but I’ve not so far been able to light up the TC warning ... I need to take a closer look, maybe the previous owner fitted something!

Well the TC was alive and kicking this morning, only flashed once or twice mind, very damp and foggy. Scuffed one of my alloys this morning too... annoyed with myself!

Well the TC was alive and kicking this morning, only flashed once or twice mind, very damp and foggy. Scuffed one of my alloys this morning too... annoyed with myself!
Ouch

Thanks CJD, I can't wait tbh. Its my first almost new car for me. The wife seems OK with it as well, although she still thinks I'm daft. I work hard enough though and I've been looking at the E class for a long time. I'm not sure on white, but the spec, mileage, power, everything about it really, made me want it. I'll sure to post up some pics and hopefully be able to provide help and advice to others about this car long into my ownership on here. I plan to keep it for 4 years which is how long I had the CLS for and hopefully one day get an E-class 63 4-matic estate because I love the tech and cab. I'll wait until the warranty runs out before looking at mods. I'll probably only get an Quaife LSD as 550BHP is more than enough.

I just read this again (and again) It actually makes me feel excited for/with you. I am sure that you will both enjoy what is a beautiful car.

Two other things a that possibly differentiate these cars from their mainstream equivalents are their MTC * automatic transmissions and their air? rear self levelling suspension.
quote:-
AMG SpeedShift MCT
Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" planetary semi-automatic transmission.
The MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop, and also supports computer-controlled double declutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.

I'm glad you're loving the car - but very sorry to hear about your wheel.

Interesting thread. You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to say that the 6.2-engined car doesn't feel as fast as the 55K-engined car; they're very different in their power delivery.

I've just gone in exactly the opposite direction; I sold my E350 because it didn't feel quick, monster torque or not, and I realised I didn't like the styling all that much, or the interior (I'm fussy about my cabins, too), so I'm now back in a W211. It's not as quick, but I much prefer the way it drives, and the interior, to the W212. And, of course, it's in Tanzanite Blue...

I don't generally care for white cars much, but the black roof on a white E-class sets it off very well. Enjoy it; I'm sure you will. You'll still miss the 55K engine, though, from time to time; one of the all-time great Mercedes power plants.

Interesting thread. You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to say that the 6.2-engined car doesn't feel as fast as the 55K-engined car; they're very different in their power delivery.

It's a 5.5 Bi Turbo ;)

Strange, then , that it doesn't feel as fast; it should, I would have thought. Doesn't change my opinion of the 55K, mind you.

I've just gone in exactly the opposite direction; I sold my E350 because it didn't feel quick, monster torque or not, and I realised I didn't like the styling all that much, or the interior (I'm fussy about my cabins, too), so I'm now back in a W211. It's not as quick, but I much prefer the way it drives, and the interior, to the W212. And, of course, it's in Tanzanite Blue...

I don't generally care for white cars much, but the black roof on a white E-class sets it off very well. Enjoy it; I'm sure you will. You'll still miss the 55K engine, though, from time to time; one of the all-time great Mercedes power plants.

Thanks for the comments, yeah its a 5.5 Bi Turbo as Daveenty pointed it. I took the wife to Windemere for the weekend and have not long got back, so a 220 mile round trip and what a pleasure it is to drive, very sensible and refined, despite twisty roads, dampness, rain and ice even etc. It feels more refined than the CLS did, but maybe that's down to the age difference and wear and tear etc.

It still feels slower and less explosive though which is notiable, but only from 0-60 and when planting that right foot down hard. But I feel more confident driving the E63, it feels more planted and safer. Maybe again that's down to it only being a few years old with less wear and tear. Its is not as exciting as the CLS and I doubt it ever will be unless I get it modded which I admittedly did with the CLS which obviously made a difference, but not too muc.

I bought the CLS55 to get a feel for AMGs, for high performance cars which I'm now hooked on. I don't think I'll ever quite own a car like it though again unless I went and got another one, it was just like the E63 in terms of refinement etc. but what an animal when unleashed. The two are very chalk and cheese at the moment in that regard despite both being AMGs with similar bhp/torque/top speed's etc.

I'm aware I'm not used to the new car and too used to the old one which I had for 4 years and 20k miles. This one I've done 150 back from Glasgow, about 30 around the doors and 220 to Windemere and back.

What I'm liking: The seats... they are very comfortable, less sportier than the CLS despite the dynamic settings, but more comfortable for long distances. it corners very well the car and while its no library inside the cab, its not as noisy as the CLS. Wind noise, road surface noise etc. is lesser. Again, maybe that's due to age etc.

I love the high end torque and speed, it can go from 90-150 in seconds and with ease, without feeling like it will rip away from you. Again it isn't a rapid kind of feel, but its reassuring to feel in a driving sense.

The looks - its bold, butch and not as beautiful as the CLS, but it stands out and has real road presence. I deliberately parked to a 15 plate E-class diesel at our hotel and the difference is chalk and cheese.

The toys - are all easy to use, its uncomplicated and the dash is neatly laid out and not fussy at all.

I do not like the reversing camera though or the sat nav.

In general though, I love it. I love the exhaust note on start up, the idle like growl and the exhaust note when you floor it. But most of all, as a complete package it ticks most boxes.

The wife seems to like it now as well having spent some time in it.

Reactions: Abb
Strange, then , that it doesn't feel as fast; it should, I would have thought. Doesn't change my opinion of the 55K, mind you.

I agree with you on the 55k mind, what an engine. An MB legend and one that could arguably end up as their best ever.

"...very sensible and refined...it feels more refined than the CLS did..." that's exactly why I sold the W212 and went back to a W211. I suspect the W213 will be even worse (or better, depending on your viewpoint).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom