thinking of going from E280 cdi to C220 coupe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean1

Car
E280 CDI
Ok so just got the 55 plate E280 Avantgarde a few month back after my a3 died, it was from family and it has just over 200k on the clock, the idea being it'll do until i get something better, my uncle now tells me he has a 2003 c220 coupe with 30 k on the clock, he had it from new and hardly ever used it.
so for any one with knowledge of both cars which is the better of he 2?

Thanks

Only you can tell.

They are totally different cars. What do you need a 2 door or a 4 door?

Only you can tell.

They are totally different cars. What do you need a 2 door or a 4 door?

my a3 is a 3 door, I do miss the extra space with a hatch back with seats down,
it doesn't bother me if i have a 3 or 4 door car.
I'm more interested in the drive, I really like the extra power the e220 has over the a3 sport and i believe the c220 is around the same bhp of the a3

The early W203 models had quite a few problems with some resolved with the facelift in 2004. Designed as an "entry level" model they were built to a price compared to the larger models. What is in its favour is its low mileage but cars that have low mileage come with their own particular problems- you might have to change all the tyres for example. The E 280 is a better built vehicle BUT at 200k is bound to be feeling its age.

The early W203 models had quite a few problems with some resolved with the facelift in 2004. Designed as an "entry level" model they were built to a price compared to the larger models. What is in its favour is its low mileage but cars that have low mileage come with their own particular problems- you might have to change all the tyres for example. The E 280 is a better built vehicle BUT at 200k is bound to be feeling its age.

Apart from a few issues the e 280 is really good to drive, full MB service history, I didn't realise the c220 was an entry level, and i don't want a car that has a history of problems

Thanks

If I had to chose then it would be the E class, more spacious, more comfortable, quieter, better equipped, less likely to rust.........

If I had to chose then it would be the E class, more spacious, more comfortable, quieter, better equipped, less likely to rust.........

I drive to dorset from south yorkshire quite a bit and must say the drive down in the merc was far better than in the Audi and the merc didn't use that much more juice than the audi did. I did read that the e280's were galvanised, not sure if this is true, just shame it hasn't got blue tooth now have to go back to cd's

The C class was not galvanised (at least not properly) and are notorious for rusting.

Ignore mileage, if the E 280 has been well looked after it should prove reliable.

200k - tired ?
I always say, keep your springs , shocks , bushes in good condition. Poor sloppy suspension makes a car feel it's age. The engine in the 280 is good for another 200k with ease.
My S211 had 175k on it and it felt superb as I looked after its suspension.

200k - tired ?
I always say, keep your springs , shocks , bushes in good condition. Poor sloppy suspension makes a car feel it's age. The engine in the 280 is good for another 200k with ease.
My S211 had 175k on it and it felt superb as I looked after its suspension.

Thanks I think you've just made my mind up, 1 other thing i did notice was the few days of summer we had the suspension a little creaky, but now the temp has dropped to low 20's the springs are silent again.

Can you afford both???

The number of cars you need is N+1 where N is the number of cars you have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom