This Green (and blue) Pleasant Land

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will the budget stretch to a R22, or even just a PPL.

Maybe team up with others in the same predicament share the costs...even if you flew only 3/4 of the way and drove the rest.

Last edited:
Will the budget stretch to a R22, or even just a PPL.

Maybe team up with others in the same predicament share the costs...even if you flew only 3/4 of the way and drove the rest.

Part of moving is removing stress from our lives... so it has to work without all devices we currently rely on. Besides, those R22s look a bit suspect to me. Our friend joined us last week and came down on the sleeper and arrived fresh as a daisy. And only an extra £60 for the privilege. Cheapest 4★ hotel in Cornwall.

I do feel you've suggested something interesting though. I can see a need for a remote business centre with top quality video conferencing etc. It might make the decision to 'elope' easier for other folks caught in a similar can we, can't we, dilemma.

Thinking......

mimz-porthkidney-2.jpg

We managed to arrive after the snow 2 weeks ago and left again just before it started this weekend. Here's our daughter Mimz taking a break from her Masters thesis on Porthkidney Sands. Twelve hours later the whole area was white with snow.

On the beach below where this photograph was taken, I met a couple who'd recently moved down and they told me they thought long and hard before relocating, and then rented for a year before deciding on the location of their 'final' move. Seems to be a sound strategy and something we've now committed to do, although not sure if it will be this year or next. House and land prices are variable. Sea view adds silly money. Sought after location doubles it again. But if you choose wisely there are still good value properties and builders a plenty for modifications.

You have a fairly fail safe position if you buy land and decide you don't want to be there after all...?

You have a fairly fail safe position if you buy land and decide you don't want to be there after all...?

My decision making is glacial :) and I rarely regret what I decide to do. But sure, land is a safe bet down there, it's only going to increase - although land and property as an investment has never, and never will interest me, even though it might cost me money in the long term.

If I still had access to the sums I had prior to the crash of 2008, I'd love to buy up pockets of land around the coast and build basic holiday homes for the less privileged. It's a pipe dream at the moment, but things might change and if they do, then that's what I'll be doing.

Back to the original point about not missing travel; in the first sixteen years of my working life I travelled frequently and very willingly for work.

In my 20's and 30's I saw most of the major cities in Western & Eastern Europe, travelled to Russia, South Africa and Israel. Just through work I visited just about every major city in the US, at least 25 of the states themselves as well as fitting business trips to Canada and Venezuala along the way.

In my 40's and 50's, though, my life has been refocused by the arrival of kids. I've carved out a different role which mainly revolves around working with banking customers in the square mile. Travel has been vastly reduced and it suits me just fine during the week and also at weekends.

Imagine my horror when my employer send me to the US twice for extended trips in January and February which meant I ended up being away from home/normal business life for three weeks out of eight with a fourth week killed by severe flu (see exhaustion, jetlag & overnight redeye). Of my eight weekends two were completely destroyed and two chopped in half by travel.

It was actually quite traumatic.

Everything is back to normal now and I've finally just about caught up with everything but it's funny how my priorities have changed and I've really come to dislike that aspect of life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom