Thoughts on Driving Assistance Package. Distronic etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
Hi,

Ordered a new E Class. Got pretty much everything with exception to the Driving Assistance Package. This contains:

Distronic Plus with Pre-Safe® Brake
Active Blind Spot Assist
Lane-Keeping Assist
PRE-SAFE® PLUS
DISTRONIC PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist (DTR+Q)
Enhanced Brake Assist (BAS+)
Brake Assist PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist (BAS+Q)
PRE-SAFE® PLUS
Collision mitigation

rrp is £2345 but i probably can get a discount on this.

From my understanding the Distronic Plus pretty much drives the car up to 80mph with a predetermined distance between you and the cover in front and takes control of the steering to keep the car in lane between lines.

I've just come back home after an hour on A and B roads and if i understand the technology right the car would've pretty much driven me home! Of course, i understand the car wouldn't have driven me round roundabouts and at junctions.

Has anyone got this and if so, what is your experience? Would you recommend it?

Also, what sort of price would you offer the dealer to add this option to a pre-ordered but not yet built car?

Many thanks.

I decided not to go for this sort of package because, apart from the expense, I want to be kept alert by having to do all those things myself instead of letting the car take control. IMO, if the car is doing too much it could lead to a lack of attention that could be disastrous.

I decided not to go for this sort of package because, apart from the expense, I want to be kept alert by having to do all those things myself instead of letting the car take control. IMO, if the car is doing too much it could lead to a lack of attention that could be disastrous.

I completely understand and that was why i didnt initially choose it. However, i think it's the way we're heading with self driving cars etc.
just want to understand if it really works. Could be scarey initially letting the car do all the work but having hada long drive following a car for miles on some windey a and broads i'm wondering if this could prove useful.

I took the option as an extra safety rather than a replacement. It's the way to go like ABS when it was an option. If you can afford, go for it. I had departure lane, it works well.

Distronic is the best thing since sliced break on long journeys. Far for allowing you to concentrate less I found the opposite, plus I feel a lot less tired at the end of long runs.

I have it on my SL and ML and have just ordered it for the GT S. I commute in my cars and the blind spot assist and distronic are a god send. I wouldn't have a car without it. The distronic is great in areas with average speed cameras. The blind assist is also useful in London traffic with all those motorbikes making another 3 lanes.

123000 miles in. In my opinion Distonic Plus is the single most significant safety advancement since crumple zones and seat belts!

Rather than reducing attention levels, it allows the driver to spread their concentration over a wider range of areas and maintain concentration levels over longer periods of time.

Although useful in general driving conditions, the system is invaluable when conditions deteriorate such as fog, heavy rain etc. In these circumstances the radar is able to see and react more effectively than the human and as such it tends to reduce both the fatigue levels resulting from peering into the gloom and also the tendency to become over concentrated on the road immediately ahead, allowing the driver to be more aware of both distant objects and those around them.

My system cannot steer, I understand the new version can and will vibrate the wheel if the driver is silly enough to remove their hands. While you could in theory let the car do the driving this is not what the system is designed to do, besides autonomous driving remains illegal in this circumstance.

The closest analogy I would make is with an automatic gearbox, some people (including myself) dismissed them as making the driver lazy or not giving full control, however once tried, I am a convert and would never buy a car of this type without it.

I cannot rate this system highly enough. I would suggest that if every vehicle were fitted with such a system, the roads be alot safer and drivers more relaxed.

Regards, Neil

Never used this type of system but think it sounds like a fantastic option. I could definitely see how it could be very useful.

Thanks all. I am suprised with the number of converts on here. I thought it may be useful in the IS or some regions of Europe with long roads. I was expecting more people to be saying it probably isnt worth it in the uk where if you leave a gap the size of a bus then another car will try and squeeze in.
Am i right in saying that distronic plus combined with steer assist actually drives you within the lane lines too? If so, what's the point if you must have your hand on the steering wheel and what happens in you want to overtake the car in front. Must you turn the thing off to over-rule or will the drive "sense" you are trying to regain control of the car?

My system cannot steer, I understand the new version can and will vibrate the wheel if the driver is silly enough to remove their hands. While you could in theory let the car do the driving this is not what the system is designed to do, besides autonomous driving remains illegal in this circumstance.

Steering wheel vibrates, or actual wheels vibrate? If steering wheel vibrates of you remove hand how does that alert you - as you wouldnt feel the vibration?

This technology sounds fantastic and keen to learn more!

So many questions. Sorry!

As i mentioned in the first thread it looks like there's a bundle of tech is this Driving Assistance package. Having ordered the car (but still within period where i can tweak spec) how much should i offer for this RRP £2345 option?

The car will not steer for you or keep you in lane. If you move out of lane it rumbles and provides an element of resistance to stop you going completely wrong. It know s when you are conducting a planned manoeuvre.

I have never negotiated single options just the overall price.

Hi my dad has had adaptive cruise on his bmw since 2010. I have had it on my Prius since 2013. Imho it's up there with xenons and abs. Saved me from at least two accidents in bright sunshine. I just ordered an E class to get the 23p driver assistance pack. The latest version does steer I could not find a demonstrator car to test drive but I experienced a similar system on the bmw i3 so I took the plunge and ordered the E class. My initial thought was the c Class but I find it a bit claustrophobic and initially it didn't have the steer assist but apparently from June production the C lass does have distronic with Steering Assist confirmed in the latest price list. My advice is tick the driving assistance pack you won't regret it and won't want to order a car without it moving forward. Hope this helps p

The car will not steer for you or keep you in lane. If you move out of lane it rumbles and provides an element of resistance to stop you going completely wrong. It know s when you are conducting a planned manoeuvre.

I have never negotiated single options just the overall price.

the UK MY16 will steer for you / keep the lane.
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con.../w205/facts/equipment/equipment-packages.html
"DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot
DISTRONIC PLUS is a radar assisted cruise control that helps the driver to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead, even when braking to a stand-still. Steering Assist tracks road markings and the path of the vehicle ahead to keep the vehicle on track"

Am i right in saying that distronic plus combined with steer assist actually drives you within the lane lines too? If so, what's the point if you must have your hand on the steering wheel and what happens in you want to overtake the car in front. Must you turn the thing off to over-rule or will the drive "sense" you are trying to regain control of the car?

My understanding of the latest iteration of the system is Yes it will steer as well! But as mentioned it is illegal to allow the car to do thios without your hands on the steering wheel i.e. that you are always in control of the system and not the other way around. Hence you decide if you want to overtake, or enact another manoeuvre. The steering wheel vibrates if you remove your hands (I read this activates if you are not in contact for more than a couple of seconds).

The version I have has a semi active system, whereby the wheels on one side of the car brake to draw the vehicle back into lane if the system detects you are veering into a collision. The new system actively steers.

The steering wheel rumble also occurs with lane assist to signify you have crossed the lane, not sure if this works the same in the latest version.

With use, you learn how the system reacts to traffic around it, where if performs and where it doesn't. I have always been impressed by its ability to track the right vehicle. However the system will automatically deactivate if the situation becomes too confusing, while maintaining the ability to react to minimise the potential effects of a collision.

First tick in the options box IMO.

Regards, Neil
Also nothing the matter with driverless cars. Where traffic, distance, roadworks, necessity etc have taken the fun out of driving they are the ideal solution. Where the freedom of a twisty B road around a mountain is accesible that's another matter.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm still in two minds as to whether I purchase this option or not.

What may be useful is if I explain my driving habits.
Annual mileage - around 4000 miles per year.
Daily - 4 miles to work. Fairly urban 1.5 miles on residential streets and then 2.5 miles on a 50mph limited dual carriageway.
Once or twice a month some journeys on A-B roads. Not usually more than 30 miles.
Once every few months a 70 mile round journey on motorway.

Driving style - like fast acceleration and don't usually "fall in line" and follow a car in front. Unless, rare night time driving. Don't use cruise control on current car due to having to flip it on and off as I overtake cars in front, or slow down with the flow of traffic.

I could understand the Distronic + system is great for people who drive for a living or are up and down the motorways. However, the Active Blind Spot Assist and PRE-SAFE brake seem like useful options. Hmm, the difficulty is trying to figure out whether I drop £2k on this package.

Decisions...decisions

I too am considering the driving assistance package for the C class.

However I'm unable to ascertain if the active blindspot and steering assist for sticking to lanes work in the dark. It's usefulness is limited if it doesn't.

Also concerned about the interaction of the automatic braking for oncoming overtaking cars that move into your lane. The car it trained to warn you if you hurtle towards stationary cars/pedestrians at speed, if you don't react the car automatically applies the brakes to stop or reduce impact, and keep you inlane.

In the oncoming car scenario, you would want to retain steering and avoid collision, not brake in front of the fast approaching car as any braking attempts might be futile, as the other car is possibly travelling 50-70mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom