To repair or not to repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

engmpoll

Car
Soon the be an E63 Owner
So everything had been going so well in my new E63 until I picked up a puncture on my front nearside tyre yesterday :mad:
Only 3k miles on them. Does anyone think its repairable or is it to close to the shoulder?

ForumRunner_20140427_064156.jpg

I'd say it's too close to the shoulder and therefore unrepairable, but you should seek the opinion of a tyre fitter.

^ +1

They wont repair that, or my local tyre fitters wouldn't repair a similar one I had. Only had the tyre on for a month :wallbash:

Did you only change the one tyre or did you do the pair?

Some tyre shops have a guide which is placed over the tread area of the tyre that indicates the repairable areas of the tyre, sadly I think that your tyre will fall outside of the safe limits. On the other hand you may find some back street bodger will repair but would you want to put your family 's safety at risk

David

Thats repairable no problem, question is would you want to? My answer to that would be depends how you drive the car if you drive it hard then I'd replace. As to replacing the pair if there was above 5mm on the tyre on the other end of the axle I would match with the exact same tyre, if not replace the pair.

Why take the risk even if it is repairable? :dk:

its repairable buddy
just get it done.
it cost £5 in my area not sure how much it is where you are but i shouldn't think it'll cost more than a tenner

It's not repairable, any tyre supplier/fitter should refuse to repair that, the rule of thumb is like the legal limit, it must be within the centre to thirds.

That looks repairable to me, if not by plugging then almost certainly by vulcanising.

I had one done that was as close to the shoulder as that one, possibly closer.

Why do people say not to repair?

As long as the cords aren't damaged the carcass is still as strong as it ever was.

The reason why patch or plug repairs aren't suitable for shoulders is due to the flexing, hence why hot vulcanising is the method used.

Most tyre shops won't repair but it can be done for about £10 instead of buying a new tyre find a tyre shop that will repair

Thats easily repairable, just depends where you get it done from and what type of patches they use.

I have successfully repaired closer than that on many occassions, and theres no risk/danger with puncture repaired tyres. Too much hype about the tyre becoming dangerous/blow out/putting family at risk blah blah blah, but its just hype really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom