Too much boost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

machineco

Car
Vito sportX 204
Hi Guys, I have a 2009 204 Vito and a few days ago I had occasion to really floor the accelerator, there was a terrific pop and the van came to a halt. Looking under the bonnet a hose had completely blown off with so much force it had snapped its retaining bracket. This was replaced but now every time I start the van there is so much boost pressure the hose blows right off again. On the up side there is no smoke or oil and no warning lights on the dash, any ideas please.

If it pops off only when you give it the beans, it probably means your wastegate is seized closed. If it pops off on starting, the turbo is providing no significant boost, so that can't be the cause. No offence, but are you sure the securing clip is tight?

Doesn't the Vito have a Vnt turbo? as above summit wrong with the clip or hose i reckon.

Thanks Guys, I am leaning towards the wastegate at the moment, the pipe was secured but blows off when any throttle is applied, still puzzled as to why there is no warning light though.

What is a Vnt turbo? I assume it has some inbuilt physical boost limitation device which performs the same function as a wastegate.

still puzzled as to why there is no warning light though.

Smarts (MB developed engines) go into limp mode if they overboost (and cut the boost completely) but no warning light.

Where in the system is the clip that keeps popping? Could be a blockage downstream and depending on where the sensor is located, possibly it isn't even seeing the pressure.

Odd though, that this is happening from tickover. Turbos aren't usually that keen at very low crank rpm.

I will post a photo tomorrow but its prior to the turbo and its a plastic box with some sort of an oil trap or filter in it (that's clear) the other side of the box comes up from the intercooler.

What is a Vnt turbo? I assume it has some inbuilt physical boost limitation device which performs the same function as a wastegate.

Variable vane turbo , They don't have a wastegate, the vanes are shut when on boost and then open to let excess exhausts gases out reducing boost.

It's common for the vanes to stick/carbon up and cause a "Overboost" situation.

I didnt know if the Op vehicle has a Vnt turbo as my s211 does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2awh0O0Bc

The Turbo is a Garret, is this a variable vane type?

Attachments

• turbo.JPG
    turbo.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 10
Also is it possible for so much boost to be produced that it blew this component off and sheared the retaining bracket as can be seen in the bottom of the photo.

Attachments

• join.JPG
    join.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom