Top Gear Moment.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erfan

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E220 CDI Avantgarde '08
Just sort of happened whilst on holiday in Wales and got to about 400 miles on 3/4 tank. Then was going to fill up but kept delaying and got to over 500! (501 miles, a record. I filled it with 56 ltrs which worked out at 40.4mpg. 65ltr tank), for an E300td. Surprising as over half was at c80-85mph.
The fuel light came on at 480m but does it flash when really low?

You filled it with 56 Litres and you have a 65 Litre tank which means you had 9 Litres left or 2 gallons. You had at least another 60 or 70 miles left with some comfort of not running dry.

My record is 684 miles with a 66 Litre tank which filled to 54.6 Litres on a W213 2ltr diesel 9 speed auto........

True . You never know until you fill again. On my last car, Omega you had a range display, light came on with 50 to go and then flashed with 30 to go. I ve not got this on the e300td and with family onboard didn't want to go further. ..I was happy with 500....but getting a bit jealous from yoiur stats = c57mpg!

I once got over 600 from an E300td. Who knew fuel stations in the French countryside didn't tend to open on Sunday!

Thats some going....note to self if travelling in France :). Did you recall if the fuel light flashes?
Also did you mod it (egr blank etc..?)

Last edited:
Just sort of happened whilst on holiday in Wales and got to about 400 miles on 3/4 tank. Then was going to fill up but kept delaying and got to over 500! (501 miles, a record. I filled it with 56 ltrs which worked out at 40.4mpg. 65ltr tank), for an E300td. Surprising as over half was at c80-85mph.
The fuel light came on at 480m but does it flash when really low?

My 300CE-24 got to 550 miles once. Trouble is, it's a 90 litre tank!

I was quite pleased though.

RayH

Well this whole business of MPG is always bound to get people worked up,just maybe you found a welsh garage that has a pump giving you more fuel than it says,who knows maybe rainwater got into the works,the only way is to use the same pump to fill up both times,the members who claim amazing MPG hate this idea,also always fill up the same way,put the standard pump spout into the tank all the way in and then fill until the handle clicks,then stop,repeat when you have done run your tank down,my S320 with 200 miles of fast A roads and lots of short runs,returns 32 mpg I am pleased with that,if I ran it for 500 miles at 65/70mph I would get nearer 40 but cannot be bothered to do it.

.....the only way is to use the same pump to fill up both times...

...and at the same ambient temperature. We pay for fuel by volume, but the engine consumes it by weight.

I once got over 600 from an E300td. Who knew fuel stations in the French countryside didn't tend to open on Sunday!

The fuel light does not flash...and the car was not modded as it was only 2 years old at the time.

Thanks Renault. ..thats interesting info.

This was on a drive back from Austria in my s211 e320 cdi

merc85-albums-she-stands-10-1-2016-picture9875-mpg1.jpg

Light came on at 660 miles

merc85-albums-she-stands-10-1-2016-picture9910-bestmpg.jpg

And that was my best ever ^

Last edited:
Thats good going on both counts...what size is the tank?

Last edited:
Thanks.. useful to know for anyone looking to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom