TOP GEAR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I enjoyed this week's episode much more than last weeks. Yeah, the big foot thing was a bit dull, but it was just to an excuse to show off those ATVs which was cool.

I think Chris and Matt are developing a bit of a bond, and that's nice to see.

I don't remember us all dissecting the Trio's Top Gear each week like this. I think TG now has a very tough crowd to please.
Believe me, we did.

I found it neither good nor bad. So that has to be (for us an improvement). Having lived and worked in Japan (Tokyo) I actually quiet enjoyed that bit. Grenading the engine on the Porsche would have possibly raised a substantial insurance claim. Not sure why they didn't just keep that bit in the original piece? It would have been interesting to know what broke? Mactech would be well positioned to comment, but I suspect that as 'road car' it would be an absolute dog to live with. These car were designed with the sole intention of never having anybody coming towards you and anybody behind you, should be a long way behind you. Vision would be an immediate issue. I suspect it is road legal in that can be driven down the road, and not for use on any kind of frequent visit. Do I like it? Yes I do and so did Derek Bell, who I once watched being extracted from one of these with fire axes and dragged out through the roof by the fabulous Brands Hatch Mashalls. This after he went straight on at speed at Druids where the car slid under the tyre barrier and promptly caught fire. A very scary incident for Derek who very clearly was unable to get out the car under his own steam. The Marshalls were absolutely fantastic in getting him out in seconds, as the entire car erupted.

Last edited:
What is it they say- "There's no such thing as bad publicity" If Amazon was trying to gauge whether it was worth funding another run of the Grand Tour prior to any negotiation this might be one way to do it.

I found it neither good nor bad. So that has to be (for us an improvement). Having lived and worked in Japan (Tokyo) I actually quiet enjoyed that bit. Grenading the engine on the Porsche would have possibly raised a substantial insurance claim. Not sure why they didn't just keep that bit in the original piece? It would have been interesting to know what broke? Mactech would be well positioned to comment, but I suspect that as 'road car' it would be an absolute dog to live with. These car were designed with the sole intention of never having anybody coming towards you and anybody behind you, should be a long way behind you. Vision would be an immediate issue. I suspect it is road legal in that can be driven down the road, and not for use on any kind of frequent visit. Do I like it? Yes I do and so did Derek Bell, who I once watched being extracted from one of these with fire axes and dragged out through the roof by the fabulous Brands Hatch Mashalls. This after he went straight on at speed at Druids where the car slid under the tyre barrier and promptly caught fire. A very scary incident for Derek who very clearly was unable to get out the car under his own steam. The Marshalls were absolutely fantastic in getting him out in seconds, as the entire car erupted.

I'll hazard a guess that they blew a turbo oil seal. Smoke appeared on just one side and they can really go quite brittle after sitting for a while, (after being baked at 800 fan!) which I guess the Rothmans Porsche had been doing in Japan.....
Yes, road cars and race cars are polar opposites. Both are designed to work in their own environments very well, but getting them to work well in each others is virtually impossible....I know, I've tried!

I too was thinking turbo seal failure. Bit of beast to drive on the road I think.

Really liking the new series, it has its faults, but the 3 are all likeable even Harris and I also enjoyed the extra top gear which I’ve never watched before.

I too was thinking turbo seal failure. Bit of beast to drive on the road I think.

Yes, the road isn't really the place for them. A German company Dauer did actually produce a road legal version for the Le Mans regulations in 1994.
1994-dauer-962-le-mans
Driving race cars on the road is not really any fun when you can't let them off the lead.
Tyres, brakes and clutch don't really work until the car is warm.
At Monaco way back when the F3 paddock was up at the tennis courts, we used to have to drive the cars to and from the circuit amongst the normal traffic. :eek:
I remember being held at a junction by a Gendarme (complete with whistle!) and just thinking to myself "I'm in the wrong play!"
It is like turning up to a party when you're the only one in fancy dress.

Just watched the Japan episode, really enjoyed it. There's a naturalness about the new three that the old three have lost.

C Class Kia interior anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom