Torque converter ! Sell or fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rod3nt

Car
Mercedes E220 CDI Avantgarde
I have just had my car looked at by Mercedes & using the Star no codes , so that sounds great. They have told me that my Torque Converter seems to be on the slow road to failure in possibly 30000 miles so 18 months. They have quoted £2,000 for new TC. The predicament I have is wait till it gets lots worse then get it fixed or trade it in and get another car. My car is E220 CDI on 08 plate with 166,000 miles I have warranty but not sure if TC covered as wear & Tare. Any advice would be good. Can I get TC cheaper?? Or does it really need Merc mech to do the job :fail:fail

What are the symptoms?
I had my TC refurbished by an indy and the total bill came to £1000.
My TC was causing a vibration at steady throttle about 30mph. The clutch linings were damaged and the warranty said it was wear and tear.
Once it is fixed then you will not have to worry about it again for many years.
Get it to a decent indy for a second opinion.

Tony

I have just had my car looked at by Mercedes & using the Star no codes , so that sounds great. They have told me that my Torque Converter seems to be on the slow road to failure in possibly 30000 miles so 18 months. They have quoted £2,000 for new TC. The predicament I have is wait till it gets lots worse then get it fixed or trade it in and get another car. My car is E220 CDI on 08 plate with 166,000 miles I have warranty but not sure if TC covered as wear & Tare. Any advice would be good. Can I get TC cheaper?? Or does it really need Merc mech to do the job :fail:fail
Had my TC fully refurbed by these guys for £250. This was on my W211 320 cdi 5 speed box.

Obviously it was removed by my indy first. They also collect and ship back to you.

Give them a call to discuss your symptoms, they're very good.

Auto Repair*Tollcross,*Glasgow*|*Mackie Automatic & Manual Transmissions

Confused now

Following the post above I have sent emails to various Auto transmission Mech . One of them wrote back that at 166,000 miles a torque converter WONT cure my problem
Really confused now :crazy::crazy::crazy::dk::dk:

I'd wait till you have problems.

On my old W211 it lasted till about 208k miles, whipped it out and Mackie reconditioned it for about £240.
Cost me another couple of hundred for filters, fluid and new conductor plate etc.

You then have the assurance that your TC is good for another couple of hundred thousand miles.

How much does it cost for as you said" whipping it out & replacing" if Mackie do refurb I obviously need someone to take out and replace, is this alone an expensive timely task

An indy removed my gearbox, had my TC refurbished, replaced gearbox and electric plug, filter renewed and topped up with fresh fluid.
Bill was £1000. So remove the cost of refurb, circa £750 for remove and replace.

The indy may be able to get the TC refurbed cheaper as they may get a discount from the refurbisher.

Tony

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendation for auto transmission Indy in the west mids Shropshire area

Torque Converter sorted

Torque Converter sorted

After days of Internet searching I was informed about this company. Home - VMTP Midlands Ltd based in Norton Canes , Cannock. If you need your auto box sorting and you live in mids give these a go, courtesy car as well, there's even a video on this site from Car SOS :bannana::bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom