Tough New Measures on Driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
Tough New Measures on Driving in France

The French Government has announced a number of tough new measures in the battle against drink-driving, including impoundment of the vehicle and compulsory installation of an ‘alcolock’ immobilisation system.

The measures have been announced as part of a Government target to bring down to less than 3000 by 2012 the number of deaths on the road each year. Last year, 4612 people died on the road, with alcohol believed to be the cause of the accident in around 25% of the deaths.

The Government has also stated that the sale of alcohol in service stations is to be banned, and they are to double the number of automatic speed traps, from 2500 to 5000.

Drivers from abroad also come under the microscope, with the Government proposing that EU wide measures be introduced to impose a stronger system of penalties on foreign plated cars. Although no details are available, the plans will be tabled by the French Government when it takes over the Presidency of the EU in June.

The details of the proposals on the impoundment of vehicles are equally vague. The Government has stated it will only be applied against recidivists who have previously been found guilty of a drink-driving offence.

Drivers caught drink-driving (+0.5g/l) already face temporary immobilisation of their vehicle but, under the new proposals, a court will be able to order that the vehicle is impounded for a prescribed period.

The risk of impoundment will also apply to those found to be driving substantially in excess of the permitted limit, as well as those driving without a permit, or driving under the influence of drugs.

The proposal for compulsory installation of an ‘alcolock’ system on a vehicle will also only apply to those offending more than once. The device is a vehicle breath monitoring system, which prevents the vehicle from starting the motor if it detects the driver’s breath is over the limit. The driver is obliged to blow into the device, and only a negative test result will allow the motor to start. The cost of installing the system will be around €1000, a cost which will have to be borne by the driver.

The monitoring system is to be installed on all school buses by the end of 2009, and consideration is being given to its more widespread installation on all commercial passenger carrying vehicles. Discotheque owners are also to be required to install breath testing equipment outside of their premises.

Service station owners are already outraged about the proposal to ban alcohol from their forecourt shops. At present, they are permitted to sell alcohol between the hours of 0600 and 2200 and, for many rural stations, the sales are a significant part of their total revenues. Nevertheless, this is clearly a proposal aimed at reducing alcohol related accidents amongst young people, many of whom tank up with cheap alcohol from a late night service station before then going to a disco.

That all sounds good news Hawk, and thank you

Yes most of it looks sensible. But the bit I thought most interesting was: -
the Government proposing that EU wide measures be introduced to impose a stronger system of penalties on foreign plated cars. Although no details are available, the plans will be tabled by the French Government when it takes over the Presidency of the EU in June.
I assume this means if you are caught committing an offence in France or anywhere in Europe you could get penalty points affecting your UK licence? I am not at all sure what the position is now in all the EU countries. Do visitors get away with murder?

Looks good all round - even the part you've highlighted on foreign vehicles.

I'm always amazed at how close French drivers like to be to the car in front too...

I got away with murder ;)

Anybody know what happens if you commit a motoring offence abroad at the moment? Can points be applied to licence at home? Is this what the French proposal in June is after?

Anybody know what happens if you commit a motoring offence abroad at the moment? Can points be applied to licence at home? Is this what the French proposal in June is after?

Depends upon the circumstances. Yes, in theory, motoring offences in one EU state can be applied to your licence in another, but in practice, you'd have to commit a pretty serious offence for the police to be bothered with the paperwork.

Usually, you'll pay a (hefty) on-the-spot fine, and be sent on your way.

I get flashed by fixed speed cameras in France all the time and so far (tempting fate) I've never had to face the music.

With regard to drink driving in France, the limit is and always has been lower than in the UK. However, the country is six times the size, with a similar population. In rural France, there simply are no police. And, of course, the French don't consider drinking wine to be 'drinking'. In sparsely populated areas, people drink and drive all the time.

Many countries, in the EU, do not have a points system... Portugal for example. so for a common system to be applied across the EU they would need to tackle that... the UK points system might be scrapped in favour of EU harmony :)

As a UK citizen, but Portuguese resident, I have a Portuguese licence. 'Getting away with it' would apply should I get pulled in the UK.

I was splattered with a £30 fine for being caught in my E34 in Holland going 148kph(Thanks hawk20!) back in January...:eek: :eek: (I didn't even know it was capable of going over 130...it's not been behaving lately)

I was coming back from seeing a relative who lives in Breda (Not far from Amsterdam); roads were dead, t'was about 2-3am, so 4 lane carriageway, I made a bit of progress...until I spotted flashing lights in the far distance trying to catch up...knowing I'd been caught I just slowed down and pulled over, lol.

About a minute later the police car (MB C200 CDI) pulled up and the officer said 'thank you for pulling down, you are been speeding sir'...etc etc.

I gave my name and address, etc, the dutch officer said that the UK Authorities would only impose a fine of monies not points as the points side of things has not been 'sorting out' yet, as he said. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know I was going a silly speed...feel free to flame... :(

Last edited:
As a UK citizen, but Portuguese resident, I have a Portuguese licence. 'Getting away with it' would apply should I get pulled in the UK.

I'm a UK resident with a French license. When I got done by a scamera 2 years ago, they made me apply for a "counterpart British License" so they could put the 3 points on it (I still keep my French license though). It was that or a 1 month ban if they can't put points on your license.

oh, and one other thing......ask Mattc about speeding in Germany in an SL :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

being caught in my E34 in Holland going 148mph back in January...:eek: :eek: (I didn't even know it was capable of going over 130...it's not been behaving lately)

The Dutch police would have told you the speed in kph. You probably were caught at 148kph :rolleyes:. I had an E34 520 in the early nineties and it most certainly doesn't get to 148mph.

Yes, I know I was going a silly speed...feel free to flame... :(

Tempting, but I'll pass on the flaming for now :devil:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom