TP Link Router Issues Please Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bakili

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hey guys

Router: TP-Link TD-W8961ND
ISP Provider: Orange/EE (not for long)

I started getting internet connection issues with my router. Its all started couple weeks ago, occasionally it would loose connection to internet and connect back up again shortly. Now for past week it started doing it every 5-10 min. Got fed up with it and got my old router from ISP "Netgear" connected, and all working fine except internet being very slow compare to TD-W8961ND. Though, well nearly 2 years old router packed in, time to replace.
Did some research online, and seen suggestions about firmware upgrade, got it installed still same. While downloading firmware from TP LINK website, contacted support team for help. Reply I got, hardware issue, contacted retailer to replace as router has 3 years UK warranty. Well impressed as I used it for nearly 2 years. Retail I bought from PC World.
Contacted them, and received first class service (well impressed) got my router replaced today with brand new one, same model TD-W8961ND but V3 (new version).
Got home, unpack, configure, set up blah blah blah, all working - happy and 5 min later browsing net same thing again! Drops connection for couple minutes, ADSL light goes off, Internet lights goes off, lost internet and couple minutes later connects again same as other! Netgear works fine.
Had no issues with TP LINK router for over year, just started happening recently.

Any advice :wallbash:

From what you have posted - you've ruled out a lot of what it could be causing it. My guess is the issue is between the exchange and your router.

So the first thing I would be doing is, assuming you have a traditional master socket in your property, remove the face plate from this socket and plug your router straight into the diagnostic / test socket underneath and see what you get.

This will rule out your house wiring.

While your at it - try each filter you have respectively until you have tried them all and see if the same issue occurs.

Post up what results you get and how many filters you have (it's possible it could be a duff filter but I've never known one to be in the last 13 years).

Have you replaced the ADSL filter ?

No I have not replaced it
Strangely, replacement router had no ADSL filters in box.

I had to plug Netgear's ADSL filter, as both (one brand new) filters were returned with previous router to PC World.

I had following response from TP Link support (but not tried yet)

"Try this at the 192.168.1.1 page.
Please click the advanced setup->ADSL and set the adsl mode to ADSL2 or G.DMT and click save."

From what you have posted - you've ruled out a lot of what it could be causing it. My guess is the issue is between the exchange and your router.

So the first thing I would be doing is, assuming you have a traditional master socket in your property, remove the face plate from this socket and plug your router straight into the diagnostic / test socket underneath and see what you get.

This will rule out your house wiring.

While your at it - try each filter you have respectively until you have tried them all and see if the same issue occurs.

Post up what results you get and how many filters you have (it's possible it could be a duff filter but I've never known one to be in the last 13 years).

Thanks for advice
I will try this.
But why same filter, plug and wiring and Netgear Router works fine?

I am kinder thinking now maybe its Windows update caused it.

Will see if I can revert update back :confused:

Thanks for advice
I will try this.
But why same filter, plug and wiring and Netgear Router works fine?

I am kinder thinking now maybe its Windows update caused it.

Will see if I can revert update back :confused:

If it was a Windows update - similarly neither router would work I would have thought. If you could try another computer on it - that will rule out the computer you were using.

Your Netgear is slow so I am wondering if the Netgear is sync'ing at a slower rate giving you a more stable connection and the other router is sync'ing at a higher rate causing drop outs.

By using the test socket, you rule out a few other bits in terms of equipment, other devices on your house wiring and the house wiring itself.

If you get the same experience using the test socket, I would be asking the ISP to reset your BRAS profile and leave the new router plugged in and use that and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom