Trading in.. advice sought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Just a quick one to bounce around and see what people think..

I have too many cars (currently 4). The SLK, an Impreza estate (2000/W), a Fiat Panda (1993/K) and a Fiat Barchetta (1995/M), which is currently in storage.

I drive them all the most, SWMBO walks to work. The Panda is really her car, she is not the world's keenest driver but she has expressed an interest in getting something with a bit more go (not a difficult task).

The Barchetta is due to be sold come the spring anyway, as much as I love it I can't justify two convertibles. It's the wrong time of year to sell a ragtop though, so it can slumber until April/May time when I will put a new MOT on it (less than a 1000 miles since the last one) and it goes to market.

The Impreza and Panda need to go and be converted into one small economical hatchback that I can take to work (therefore not using the SLK) but i can't decide in which order I should chop them in..

I've seen a Mitsubishi Colt that ticks a lot of boxes, which I hope to go and have a look at on Saturday. I can't buy the car outright and sell the Scooby and the Panda privately, as although I have the cash to hand there is no room outside for another car, so one has to go in part ex. with the other going as a private sale later. So, which should I offer as a trade?

Both are tricky to value.. the Impreza is that rarest of things, an unmodified UK spec car with all the options and only 64K in 10 years. The Panda is now nearly old enough to vote - but has only 29K on the clock and is practically rust free..

I don't really want to get rid of either of them, but with my hard-headed financial hat on I think I would be better off PXing the Panda and selling the Impreza privately. If I had the time to market it properly I think I could get £800-£1000 for the Panda, they are rare on the roads now and TBH finding one in the same condition as mine is nigh on impossible these days. But I'm realistic, it won't be a true classic - and therefore worth serious money - for many years yet. A £500 part ex would be the best I could hope for but that's not too much lower than the retail figure.

The classic Imprezas are still sought after in good nick (a lot of them have fallen to the Barries) but I think I'll lose in a PX deal. I don't mind dealers making a profit - everyone who's in business has to do that - but I was offered £1300 for it in PX the other week against a £7K A-class. That's just taking the rise, on the forecourt it should fetch 3.5K and I reckon even privately I should get high two's for it. However, the tax runs out at the end of Jan, the MOT in March and it's due a service in the not too distant future so I don't know whether to just chop it in and save myself the hassle..

I dunno.. what would you do??

Cheers,

Gaz

The Impreza and Panda need to go and be converted into one small economical hatchback that I can take to work (therefore not using the SLK) but i can't decide in which order I should chop them in..
I dunno.. what would you do??
OK I'd start by giving me the SLK since it's not being used anyway.. and go from there :D

Impreza wagon - what colour, .. I assume it is a turbo and not a shonky GL...?

Yes it's a turbo.. silver, black leather, air-con and CD multichanger. All the boxes ticked from new - it must have cost the first owner a bunch of money..

Cheers,

Gaz

Put them both on 3 day auctions on eBay, starting at 99p with a high reserve for both.
Although not to my taste, there is a strong Market out there for low mileage unmolested cars and both of yours fit the bill. You will be amazed at how much interest you can generate by starting an auction at 99p.
Good luck whatever you choose....:thumb:

Hello

Advertise the Scubby on Piston Heads and maybe worth joing a scubby forum and ask on there a nice 'standard' model is probably pretty hard to fibd.

Take some good pictures / lots and write a good decription

Good look

Oh and how about a s/h new Panda 100hp for the wife?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom