Transmission oil change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turboGT

Car
Mercedes only!
Hi everyone,

I would like to know how it is possible to check whether my W220 S500 needs a transmission oil change.

I have no idea when was the last transmission oil change. My car does not have a dipstick; the oil should be changed underneath I believe.

My car has a whining noise from time to time when I drive slowly.
When the engine/transmission are still cold, the downshift from 2 to 1 is very rough.

Can anyone please help me here?

Thanks a lot

You can tell buy just looking at the oil. If it's greeny brown then change it.

If you are not sure, change it anyway, it's not expensive to do.

You can tell buy just looking at the oil. If it's greeny brown then change it.

If you are not sure, change it anyway, it's not expensive to do.

How do you actually check the oil?

Thanks

via the gearbox dip stick. it should look like this
146496d1230477009-c220-limp-mode-help-needed-atf-tube-cover.jpg

I would change the gearbox oil every 30,000 to 40,000 as a precaution. You can check with your local MB dealership for the correct oil and the amount required. Don't forget to get a new gearbox filter and sump gasket (if you have an automatic gearbox). Total cost would be around £60 to £70 and an indie would probably charge circa £150 to £200 to do this.

If your are going to change the oil yourself, I would invest in a MB gear dipstick from either your dealer (circa £15 to £20) or from eBay if your local dealership refuses to sell you "MB tools". Failing this, I measured the amount of oil drained from the gearbox and replace with the exact amount of fresh MB Gearbox oil - a bit messy doing it this way but worked for me (check the oil level after I got the dipstick and it was spot on). This method assumes that your gearbox is sealed and had the correct level to start with. Wouldn't work if there is a leak on your gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom