Trip to MB museum in Stuttgart and Nurburgring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamW

Car
2000 W208 CLK320 Coupe Elegance
Me and a pal are planning a road trip to the MB factory and museum in Germany with a stop off at Nurburgring, and also check out the autobahns this October.

Neither of us have done this trip before but are fairly confident drivers and not to fussed about the long haul on the wrong side of the road.

May be a daft question, but anyone else made this trip? Also as we're going to take the C43, is there anything to do/look with regards to AMG in Affalterbach?

Pls share your experiences :D

Me and a pal are planning a road trip to the MB factory and museum in Germany with a stop off at Nurburgring, and also check out the autobahns this October.

Neither of us have done this trip before but are fairly confident drivers and not to fussed about the long haul on the wrong side of the road.

May be a daft question, but anyone else made this trip? Also as we're going to take the C43, is there anything to do/look with regards to AMG in Affalterbach?

Pls share your experiences :D

I do the ring regular so can probably answer anything you need on that, Also drive to Stuttgart and I thoroughly enjoy the autobahns my route is Hull - Rotterdam on the ferry then down through Belgium and through Germany.

Not aware of anything specific to AMG other than the factory I think most is covered by the MB museum, not sure if you are interested while in Stuttgart but the Porsche museum is definitely worth a visit too. Can recommend accommodation in Germany if you need it just tell me where you stopping.

Happy to help any way I can just ask away

Fantastic, I will appreciate your help!

We were thinking of getting the ferry from Dover to Calais (as we're in Kent), turn left, then go in that way.

Is 4 days sensible? A day each way travelling, a day at Stuttgart and a day at the ring?

I appreciate your help.

Fantastic, I will appreciate your help!

We were thinking of getting the ferry from Dover to Calais (as we're in Kent), turn left, then go in that way.

Is 4 days sensible? A day each way travelling, a day at Stuttgart and a day at the ring?

I appreciate your help.

OK If it were me then I would go to Stuttgart first and then the ring on the way back up. If you do it this way then here is your first choice the route to Stuttgart, 2 options.

1) The German route maximising Autobahn driving, from Calais head to Brussels then towards Cologne down bypassing Mannheim, with a couple of short pitstops its a 7 - 7:30 hour drive.

2) Through France from Calais to Reims then to Saarbrucken cross the border into Germany this is about an hour shorter but more expensive due to toll roads (No toll roads in Germany) and speed limited until you cross the border.

For me it has to be option 1 :thumb:

The ring is on the way back on the same road Autobahn you came down, when going back take the signs for Koblenz then to the town of Mayen and on to Nurburg village.

For accommodation at Nurburgring THIS is a top place, Martin the owner is a Brit and you will get cheap lap tickets from him + he'll buy back any unused laps you have too. Top bloke and a real Petrolhead even though he is a BMW Man.

Whichever way you do this you will want a rest after the ring it is as demanding as they say. If it were me I'd head from Stuttgart stay the night before you drive the ring and then stay the night after before setting back off home. So a 4 day trip works but 5 is more leisurely

If you need anything else just shout :thumb:

PS Check the ring is actually open and its a tourist day, Its amazing how many people think its open all the time

I was lucky enough to be involved on a group visit organised back in 2003. We took in the Nurburgring, the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart and of course the AMG factory in Affalterbach. All linked via autobahn. :devil:

Here are some posts from that period back in Nov 03.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/2967-amg-factory-mercedes-museum-gtg.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/3087-amg-germany-gtg-22nd-november-%96-final-details.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/4228-amg-german-gtg-big-thank-you.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/4244-nurburgring-stuttgart-amg-trip.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/even...uttgart-amg-mercedes-classic-centre-trip.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/4226-amg-german-gtg-pictures-video.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/4524-2003-german-gtg-souvenir-dvd.html

Very happy and fond memories of great locations and fantastic people. In fact Scott's Souvenir DVD lives to this day inside my COMAND Unit in my CLS. A crying shame I didn't have this car back then but my C240 was an absolute hoot around the 'Ring, was pretty good on the autobahns too! :rock:

Well I hope reading our experiences gives you inspiration for your road trip. Lucky guy, enjoy! I know I did.

S.

Sorry for reigniting this thread, and thanks for the previous responses so far...

This is happening now 100%, we have the annual leave booked and car ready.

We're planning on leaving the morning of Tues 26 Nov and return the Friday the same week.

We've narrowed it down to just going to Stuttgart... Mainly for the MB museum and possibly Porsche museum (?) if it's relatively accessible.

Gonna give the ring a miss this time as only want to do 4 days... A day each way for traveling, two days for car fix and general drinking and site seeing.

So, any recommendations of accommodation? Don't need anything fancy but want it habitable.... Also, any other dos or don'ts would be greatly received.

Having tried both the routes described above: another option which I quite like is:

Out of Calais head north east, then turn south east at Dunkerque, then Lille, Tournai, Mons, Charleroi, Namur. (It’s all on autoroute, but toll free)

At Namur head south on the A4/E411 go through Luxembourg (not forgetting to fill up with cheap fuel).

From Luxembourg head south east to Saarbrucken, then off the autoroute to Pirmasens then Landau and pick up the A65 to the west of Karlsruhe.

From there it’s a quick blast to Stuttgart.

When you look on viamichelin you’ll realise the route I mean.

The road between Pirmasens and Landau is a bit of a slog because it’s mainly single carriageway, but there are some great truck stops which serve superb food.

I did the journey three times last year and tried the other routes but for me this is the best as it avoids Brussels, but doesn’t incur tolls.

BTW: Sorry to raise an emotive subject: You’re probably aware, but and in late November it’s a unlikely but; if the weather turns to rats you should have winter tyres in Germany.

The main thing is: Enjoy!!

The forecast for back end of November In Germany is horrendous, me and Corned are going over to meet up in Sinsheim with the German lads that did the Scottish Tour and do the Technic museum and we look like going in early December.

Also remember the tyre laws in Germany, Winter tyres mandatory, tyres on same axle must be of same tread pattern and from same manufacturer

Also remember the tyre laws in Germany, Winter tyres mandatory, tyres on same axle must be of same tread pattern and from same manufacturer

That's not strictly correct: at any given time the tyres must be appropriate for the conditions - if not you may be fined and/or the car detained.

That said, I too have heard forecasts of bad weather for late November...

A German friend recently posted on Facebook that he got fined €20 per tyre for not having winter tyres on now.

He disputed that the conditions don't currently need them which is what german law says, but the polizei felt differently and still gave him the €80 spot fine.

All our german friends chimed in on facebook saying that they still fit winter tyres at the beginning of October just in case.

This has been a consideration with the winter tyres but I've also heard advice that they're not the law until the average temp drops below 6' (which would be around nov time) but as it's a brand new car with brand new matching tyres there may be a case to be argued.

Plus an 80 fine is cheaper than winter tyres :)

I haven't checked the forecasts yet, but if it's looking miserable then I may have to give driving a miss and fly instead

Well, if you were to drive anywhere in Germany at this time of year, Stuttgart is a pretty safe bet. I lived there for 5 months from the end of October 2006 and it wasn't that bad.

The previous winters to that I was in Klagenfurt (south Austria) and Munich and both were a lot worse! Although, winter of 2006 could have just been mild in general.

That's not strictly correct: at any given time the tyres must be appropriate for the conditions - if not you may be fined and/or the car detained.

That said, I too have heard forecasts of bad weather for late November...

I can tell you for definite what the policy of the RheinlandPfalz Police Region is. Anyone stopped with summer tyres on their car between 1st November and 31st March will receive a €40 on the spot fine, if you are stuck and impede traffic flow the fine is doubled to €80. Tyres must be of same tread type, same manufacturer and a minimum tread depth of 4mm. If you are stopped more than once for the offence the police can seize and impound your vehicle and will not release it until you have had winter tyres fitted to it and paid the release fee and storage charge.

As someone who regularly visits the US and Turkey and have to change to wrong side of the road driving the advice I can give you is that the danger in driving on the wrong side is not when you are in traffic and concentrating but after a day or two when you are relaxed. It is all to easy to turn on to a side road after a break and just automatically look right and turn on to the left hand side of the road. It happened to me 20yrs ago. We had been for a coffee and whilst talking to my wife just looked right and turned onto the left hand side of the road and the screech of brakes made me realise what I had done. I was very lucky it could have resulted on a head on crash.
I am in the US at the moment and after many many trips still advice my wife to keep watch when we are turning.
Most collisions involving Brits abroad are turning left when habit kicks in.

Most collisions involving Brits abroad are turning left when habit kicks in.

A nice feature of the TomTom is that it detects you're in a country that drives on the right and reminds of this you each time you turn it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom