Trolly jack + long bolt in jacking point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
I've seen a few people do this now. Putting a long bolt in the slot for the spare wheel jack and then using a trolly jack to lift the car from the bolt. (See image below)

I can kind of see this working as the jacking point where the bolt is placed is where the emergency boot jack would normally go and therefore it would be suffice to support the weight of the car.

Obviously I would only do this so I can get the car off the ground and place a jack stand under the rubber jacking point immediately.

What's everyone's thoughts on this and does anyone else use this method? If so what size bolt is to be used?

jakpts_003.jpg

Jacking point should easily take the weight as that's what it is designed for.

Unless I've missed something, the bolt it taking the weight so I wouldn't do it.

Oh and I wouldn't do it on my W210, probably go through! :D

It's all about leverage.

So long as you place the jack as close to the car as possible on the bolt there will be no problem.

Make sure the bolt is of the correct type (which I don't know).

Why not just get the correct jack out of the boot and use that ?

Somebody on ebay actually manufactures jack pins for exactly this purpose (lifting cars onto stands) they are hinged and pivoted and cost (IIRC) about £40 each.

I have never understood why trolley jacks don't come with a locking ratchet mechanism so you can do without an axle stand.

And they are safe.

They are not.

A great deal of care must be taken with the standard jack the car can roll off it very very easily...ask me how I know.

The base is too small an area and the piece that fits into the socket is round which allows the jack to swivel if care is not taken. A trolley jack is many many times safer than the carp they make us use.

They are not.

A great deal of care must be taken with the standard jack the car can roll off it very very easily...ask me how I know.

The base is too small an area and the piece that fits into the socket is round which allows the jack to swivel if care is not taken. A trolley jack is many many times safer than the carp they make us use.

I've used the jack on a W124 (actually standard across most models of the period) on multiple occasions and if used properly they are perfectly safe and fit for purpose.

I would rather rely on that than a random bolt stuck into the jacking point.

I've used the jack on a W124 (actually standard across most models of the period) on multiple occasions and if used properly they are perfectly safe and fit for purpose.

I would rather rely on that than a random bolt stuck into the jacking point.

Me too.

But a purpose made pad adapter for use with a trolley jack is very useful.

Putting MBs on axle stands would be so much easier if the support pad wasn't directly below the jacking point. They always get in the way.

Yes, shared load area and it would cost more...

Putting MBs on axle stands would be so much easier if the support pad wasn't directly below the jacking point. They always get in the way.

Yes, shared load area and it would cost more...

I've never found that.

The stands are a tripod so there is no reason the stand will not fit under the pad when the standard jack is used.

The whole point of a trolley jack is that it's a zillion times faster and more stable than the one provided. I never work on the car when it's just on the trolley jack so anything that makes stands easier to use is a good idea for me. I like it.

What size and spec of bolt are you using ?

To some extent a high tensile bolt is a good idea but I wouldn't go beyond an 8.8 as the higher graded ones may have a higher tensile strength but they are also more brittle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom