Turning DOWN a job offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
Turning DOWN a job offer - advice please

Having recently been made redundant, I've been frantically looking for another job and a bit of a change in career.

I had a couple of interviews lined up with new positions and one has offered me the place. However, the job I really have my sights set on and want most of all is still in the application process (public sector) and I've not yet heard back regarding an interview. If I'm honest, I'm not really sure what my next move should be, or what should my rough response be at the moment to the company who want me? :confused:

I'm still working my notice period at my current position anyway so have until the end of the month.

Any advice or opinions would be good, thanks.

Last edited:
Take the job you've been offered & then resign if you get the one you really want.

Bird in hand, dog eat dog etc.

The application process in the public sector can be a somewhat protracted process at the best of times. Since its still in the application phase you can't really count on it.Many public sector positions are filled internally and advertising and even interviewing for the job to the general public is often simply to obey the recruitment process criteria. You are always in a stronger position applying for any new job from a position of existing employment despite the fact being unemployed might have been due to circumstances not down to you. One thing you could do is contact the recruitment section of the public sector organisation you applied to requesting an update /timeline on their current situation vis a vis the job you applied for? If nothing else it shows you are keen. :dk:

Take the job you've been offered & then resign if you get the one you really want.

Bird in hand, dog eat dog etc.

As an employer, it pains me to hear this... I definitely wouldn't want anyone to do this to me :(

But I must admit that from your perceptive it makes sense.....

Most jobs now start with a probation period , but most probably forget it works both ways .

I once started a job , and quickly found my new employer was a proper B'stard ; I found another job then told him in writing the probation period was up ( it was approaching 3 months ) and I did not wish to continue working for him .

Most jobs now start with a probation period , but most probably forget it works both ways .

I once started a job , and quickly found my new employer was a proper B'stard ; I found another job then told him in writing the probation period was up ( it was approaching 3 months ) and I did not wish to continue working for him .

?

The application process in the public sector can be a somewhat protracted process at the best of times. Since its still in the application phase you can't really count on it.Many public sector positions are filled internally and advertising and even interviewing for the job to the general public is often simply to obey the recruitment process criteria. You are always in a stronger position applying for any new job from a position of existing employment despite the fact being unemployed might have been due to circumstances not down to you. One thing you could do is contact the recruitment section of the public sector organisation you applied to requesting an update /timeline on their current situation vis a vis the job you applied for? If nothing else it shows you are keen. :dk:

My sister manages a department at a UK university. She is required to advertise all vacant posts in her department both internally and externally. She sometimes has the candidate who will be successful already lined up and trained, ready to walk into the job. She hates having to raise the hopes of the other candidates but has no choice in the matter. It's a sorry situation to be in. If I were the OP, I would accept the job that's been offered as he has no guarantee that he'll get the one he wants, nor that another job will materialise in the near future. He might find that the job he's been offered turns out to be ideal for him.

The general consensus is the correct decision I think, and I've accepted the position offered. My [soon to be] new employer was clear in putting across that the probation period works both ways of course, meaning if I find it's not for me then I can still leave.

Thanks all :thumb:

Don't forget that if any security clearance is required by the public sector org. depending on your circumstances/background, it could take a very long time...I know someone who was offered a job and then had to wait 12 months before their clearance came through :eek:

Don't forget that if any security clearance is required by the public sector org. depending on your circumstances/background, it could take a very long time...I know someone who was offered a job and then had to wait 12 months before their clearance came through :eek:

I know....MI5 can be right sticklers.

Yes, exactly that happened to one of my mates, Jimmy Bond:D

Don't forget that if any security clearance is required by the public sector org. depending on your circumstances/background, it could take a very long time...I know someone who was offered a job and then had to wait 12 months before their clearance came through
eek.gif

Congratulations on accepting your new job! Good luck with your application for the next!

You need to look out for yourself and be considerate to your employers, and it reads as if that's exactly what you're trying to do. Good on you.

When I started with the fire service , mine took about a week .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom