Twin Turbo C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It'd be interesting to know costs as that would certainly be better than supercharging in my opinion.

It'd be interesting to know costs as that would certainly be better than supercharging in my opinion.

Better in what way?

Shame no video of it driving

Better in what way?

More mappable than a supercharger and more upper end performance. Obviously some negatives to consider such as heat, but I always preferred a turbo over a s/charger.

Deff more low down power than a charger. Bet that's a beast !!

Supercharger has all the power from low revs.....you have to wait for turbos to spool up.

Twin turbo on M156 is not new.....Branus did one years ago.

Will be interesting though to see power figures and how tuneable it is ( the super chargers run low boost....8psi)

Lee, you got any idea on costs

Unless the guys from eurocharged could comment

Crap vid. Shows nout.

I can see another advantage to turbo, being able to ramp up the boost pressure per gear, configurable power, lower boost in lower gears aids traction meaning more usable power to the road, as you gain traction increase the boost pressure, usually the higher gears, not so much modulation of the throttle required.

Supercharger has all the power from low revs.....you have to wait for turbos to spool up.

Twin turbo on M156 is not new.....Branus did one years ago.

Will be interesting though to see power figures and how tuneable it is ( the super chargers run low boost....8psi)

Yes. But that big charger has to be driven from the crank so yes it will be an instant effect. But does cause an amount of drag on the engine. But I would say a twin turbo would come in a lot harder as being a twin it would be two smaller turbo's rather than one massive big bugger that has loads of lag. That was what I was getting at. But yes your right. The twin screw chargers I think take the most power to drive. Obviously why as rule of thumb you would only see these on big v8's. But a lot of the Chargers they put on the m3's are basically a belt driven turbo charger. Guess the latter saps less power from the engine. Whereas a turbo is free power if you like.

Last edited:
I don't like the look of the inlet pipework in that installation - too long and too many tight radius bends for my liking.

Yes, and inlet pipework too long = turbo lag (a pet hate of mine).
Give me a belt-driven supercharger any day.
Plus, there's really no such thing as "free power"!

Last edited:
more power mabye?

For every big turbo there's even bigger supercharger.

Deff more low down power than a charger. Bet that's a beast !!

You're confusing turbo- and superchargers.

More mappable than a supercharger and more upper end performance. Obviously some negatives to consider such as heat, but I always preferred a turbo over a s/charger.

ChrisA's old tech & restricted intake CLS55 ran as fast as AceJ's remapped SL63 with downpipes at the Terminal Velocity.

I can see another advantage to turbo, being able to ramp up the boost pressure per gear, configurable power, lower boost in lower gears aids traction meaning more usable power to the road, as you gain traction increase the boost pressure, usually the higher gears, not so much modulation of the throttle required.

How many cars utilise this feature? No AMG I know of.

Yes, and inlet pipework too long = turbo lag (a pet hate of mine).
Give me a belt-driven supercharger any day.
Plus, there's really no such thing as "free power"!

Lag is the biggest downside for me. S/c all the way.

I doubt boost per gear can be mapped onto the standard ecu, it can on an after market ecu and is great for reducing loss of traction in 1-2nd gears, I have it in my car.

There are standalone aftermarket boost controllers, such as the APEXI AVC-R, it allows you to configure the boost levels by bleeding off boost to a desired level.

80-image_e03246182144e5cc4393d4a5b3bc072d5eda1fa5.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxESp2-cH4
I will tell you that the car makes over 600WHP on 93 octane with less than 6 PSI of boost. We have high expectations for this car. The motor is built and has lower compression pistons and upgraded rods. We will be testing the limits of the fuel system over the next few weeks.

As you can see in the video, our Dynojet does have LOAD control and is a linked AWD dyno. This means that the 2wd C63 was actually measured while all 4 tires were spinning on the rollers.

Last edited:
There's also this twin turbo GAD SLS.
335624d1468630139-tt-c63-eurocharged-image.jpg

100-200kmh in 4.4 seconds, 1000hp at crank and is a daily driver. The owner says there is still more in this. The Veyron does 100-200 in 4.8 for comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom