Tyre Claim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebig1

Car
Mercedes C63
Hi Guys,

Had my C63 2013 for almost a month now.
a week in, I noticed a bad noise when reverseing on full lock and cold tyres etc.
The problem was reported to my local dealer, not the dealer I purchased the car from back in December and again on a visit begining of January.
Someone on here mentioned it would be tyres and that made sense to me.
Last Saturday, while out, I popped in to a tyre place I know and asked then to just check the tracking as a favour.
The tracking is way out, 10degrees 5 mins toe rear right and-1 degree 40 min camber. Front is right 0 degrees 25 mins and left is -0degrees 03 mins.

The outer edge of the front tyres has worn out and the tyre guy said they where scrap and why I have the steering noises. Back tyres well worn out too.
I have only done 500 miles in the car and to have to spend over £1000 on tyres would be dreadful. To say I spent £45K with them.
My local delear said its not warrenty and if I want it sorting, it will cost me about £1500. I have contacted the delear I bout the car off and they are looking in to it.
If the the delear I purchased it from tries to wash their hands of it, what rights or what can I do about it?

When you looked at the car before purchase, were the outer edges of the front tyres badly worn then? From the dealer's point of view, anything could have happened in the month since you purchased, so you're unlikely to get much change from them. Certainly worth a try though. As for the rear tyres, it's a C63 and short rear tyre life is pretty much a given.:)

Hi ya,

I think after reporting the issue after two weeks of ownership, spending £46000 on a car. The possibility it also needs a new clutch now as a fault has apeared and other electrical issues, tyres should be the least they can do!

ask for a swap of car under the exchange programme

Hi ya,

I think after reporting the issue after two weeks of ownership, spending £46000 on a car. The possibility it also needs a new clutch now as a fault has apeared and other electrical issues, tyres should be the least they can do!

The supplying dealer will have to fix the tracking as that's reasonable and should have been checked as part of their MB approved inspection. For a used car, personally I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to replace the tyres for new.

Did you really pay £46,000 for a 2013 c63? That seems really high for one if that age.

Hi,

The 46 is with interest etc.

I asked the dealer before picking the car up where all the tires OK. he said "Yes, all checked and all good" obviously they were not!

I think being asked to pay £1000 for new tyres after 3 weeks of ownership is not acceptable. Would any of you think its ok to have a car 3 weeks then pay out £1000 on tyres?

If it's an MB Approved Used car then the tyres at the point of sale should have a minimum amount of tread on them. From memory, this is 3mm for non-AMG cars, and 4mm for AMG models. Unless you have been driving the car on a track, I find it difficult to believe that you could have taken either the front or rear tyres from 4mm to worn out in 500miles.

You need to check the precise wording of the Approved Used specification, and if it is as I recollect then speak to the supplying dealer regarding the tyres not meeting the spec at the point of sale. Regarding the tracking, they should correct that for you too - unless of course you've bumped any kerbs (which would be evidenced by rim damage).

You really should have checked the tyres yourself before purchase and not taken a salesman's word for it. It wouldn't be the first time one has "been mistaken" regarding tyre condition :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have an email from the dealer stating the tyres are: NSF 4mm, NSR 4mm, OSF 5mm, OSR 4mm.

I have an email from the dealer stating the tyres are: NSF 4mm, NSR 4mm, OSF 5mm, OSR 4mm.
I just edited my previous post - the minimum tread depth for AMG Approved Used cars is 4mm, not 6mm.

All your tyres are on or above the minimum tread depth mandated, so I don't believe you have a claim on the supplying dealer except about the tracking and possibly about uneven wear.

Hi Guys,

Had my C63 2013 for almost a month now.
a week in, I noticed a bad noise when reverseing on full lock and cold tyres etc.
The problem was reported to my local dealer, not the dealer I purchased the car from back in December and again on a visit begining of January.
Someone on here mentioned it would be tyres and that made sense to me.
Regarding your other thread where you described the "thudding" noise when reversing on full lock, what you are experiencing is the tyres scrubbing. This is a function of the wide front tyres and the car's steering geometry, and it does not indicate a fault with either the car or the tyres. My W212 E63 does exactly the same thing and the geometry and the tyres are fine on that car.

Hope that puts your mind at rest on that score.

The issue also is the law states that the measurement is over 3/4 of the tyre, if I measure the 3/4 most measure a lowest measurement of 2 mm. Plus tracking being out, all wheels still look like new, I would suggest uneven tyre where so as a "Good will gesture" and inconviance caused, they should change them

Its funny only this car does it, I know its the tyres etc. But my last 4 cars had wider tyres and none had the issue. The noise also is apearing now when driving forward on a flat road then turning left.

Double check none of the tyres have bulges, inside edge.

IIRC the law states over the centre 3/4 width, the edges could be bald but not through to the cords..

It's a real bummer, but see the bigger picture from the dealer's perspective.

It's a C63, you've had it a month and clocked up 500 miles.

Don't take this the wrong way, but in the wrong hands, a brand new set of tyres could be turned into scrap in 20 minutes

And the suspension geo trashed by a catching a pothole in a slide...

I reported the issue a week after getting the car. It's taken 3 weeks with holidays to get to them as they where to busy. If I look at the tread measurements over the 3/4,they where well below 3mm! Only the very centre measured 4mm. So if you follow UK law in how to measure tyres, they where below Mercedes own recommendations to change tyres at 4mm or less

The issue with the tyre wear is not down to wear that would come from burn outs, hard driving, they are uneven wear from the tracking is out. The wheels are like new, not a single mark. The tracking could be out because of a part that has failed on the car.

I think the best you can hope for is a contribution towards replacing the tyres based on the remaining wear when you bought the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom