Tyre load rating - Dealer opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
I have just bought a W212 E350 CDI saloon for my wife from the main dealer in Edinburgh.

Now, normally I check everything like a hawk but this time I didn't. All the tyres on the car said Continental and have plenty of tread depth but, on closer inspection when we got the car home, one of them has a Porsche N2 93Y load index.
So I contacted the dealer who is very well known to us and their reply is that the 212 350 cdi is fine with anything from 93y to 97y on it and they will not be changing it.

I called the insurance company and they said “If it passed its MOT, then we have no issue with this “

Your thoughts on this please.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it doesn't affect insurance or handling, it might be worth checking with the service guys at the dealer rather than sales just to be sure.

Appreciate that my opinion means little to you though :p

When my wifes audi a3 was at Audi getting the gearbox replaced they did an inspection and reported that one of the tyres had MO (Mercedes tyre) on it which is not suitable for her car. My opinion is if its on and it fits and its a good tyre its fine.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it doesn't affect insurance or handling, it might be worth checking with the service guys at the dealer rather than sales just to be sure.

Appreciate that my opinion means little to you though :p
The info came from the service department and I do value your opinion you old tart.

So I contacted the dealer who is very well known to us and their reply is that the 212 350 cdi is fine with anything from 93y to 97y on it and they will not be changing it.

The only critical thing seems to be the load index - that's the number, the letter is the speed rating of course.

If the car is OK with 93 load index tyres, then no problem.

If one of them has a Porsche N2 93Y load index marking, what do the other have on them?

Were they all fitted at the same time?

If they are all 93Y and that is within the manufacturers guideline then that is probably ok.

PORSCHE N2 93Y
QUOTE:- Porsche approved tyres feature a reinforced radial structure along with more rigid sidewalls. Taken together, these characteristics prevent tyre deformation, even at high speeds.
What's the actual make of tyre? Its possible that will be minor differences in tyre wall stiffness side to side from different manufacturers. This might give "interesting" handling under heavy braking at the front for example but go unnoticed at the rear.
Personally if the car was sold to you under Mercedes Used car scheme I would be pressing hard for matching tyres all round or at least on the same axle.

If the rest of them are 93Y and you not loading it up to the gunnels it will be fine :thumb:
The rest of them are Conti 3s with 97Y on them. The car will have wife and 3 kids in it 98% of the time so not heavy at all.

What size(s) are the wheels and tyres? The manual is quite specific about the load ratings for the various fitments.

Owner's handbook does show recommended tyres with load ratings from 93 to 99 and with differing ratings from to rear.

But the rating should always be the same across the axle i.e. both rears should be the same.

I would push to have the odd tyre replaced to match

The rest of them are Conti 3s with 97Y on them. The car will have wife and 3 kids in it 98% of the time so not heavy at all.

The wife and kids in the car...so any old tyre will do !!!

I am thinking that I would at least make sure that there is a pair of the correct and matching rubber on same axle.

The wife and kids in the car...so any old tyre will do !!!

I am thinking that I would at least make sure that there is a pair of the correct and matching rubber on same axle.
Well they're Contis both with 5mm on them so hardly unsafe I think for the wife and kids.

I don't skimp on tyres or anything to do with safety on my cars. I will actually be changing all 4 to Good Year ASY3 which are much quieter and better in the wet.

Well they're Contis both with 5mm on them so hardly unsafe I think for the wife and kids.

I don't skimp on tyres or anything to do with safety on my cars. I will actually be changing all 4 to Good Year ASY3 which are much quieter and better in the wet.

Same tread Pattern? would be interesting to check the week+year figure= age of each tyre- might give an insight as to why there's a "ringer " in there.
e.g. damaged tyre in some far off place porsche equivalent Conti was a ready replacement????

Tyre-with-date-code.jpg

My E63 had one AO tyre on the front and when I pointed it out to the dealer a week after pick-up he was apologetic for missing it in the pre-checks and replaced it FOC with the correct MO tyre.

I would expect the dealer to do the same for you as well, as the different characteristics across the axle can affect the car under load :bannana:

What size(s) are the wheels and tyres? The manual is quite specific about the load ratings for the various fitments.
Just the standard 18" sport wheels. 245 at the front and 265 at the back.

The garage have also told me as it's passed its Mot and they are not budget tyres, they will not be replacing them. The insurance company is fine with their decision too so, I'm a bit stuck.

Just the standard 18" sport wheels. 245 at the front and 265 at the back.

The garage have also told me as it's passed its Mot and they are not budget tyres, they will not be replacing them. The insurance company is fine with their decision too so, I'm a bit stuck.
According to the manual (pre-facelift, not sure if the facelift is different) the tyres should be:

Front - 245/40 R18 97 Y XL
Rear - 265/35 R18 97 Y XL​

The only 93 load index tyres are on 19-inch rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom