Tyre Size (E55 Monoblocks)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calgonis

Car
C230 Sold / 69' VW Devon Delux camper / BMW M135i
I have a w202 c230 Kompressor with W210 E55 18 inch AMG Staggered Monoblock alloys.

My fronts are getting near the limit so I have started looking around for new tyres.

I have read that the standard tyre sizes when fitted to the E55 should be:

Front: 245/40 (Also read size 235/40 so not sure)
Rear: 265/35

My car has:

Front: 225/40
Rear: 255/35

I am trying to decide if I should do like for like replacements, or go back to the original sizes. I do wonder if the tyre sizes on my car were for arch clearance purposes (I have no rubbing issues).

Ta
Andy

hi there I have the 265 rears and 235 mono block combination on my w210 e240 v6, a l believe it drains any little power it may already have. a 230c with the bigger rubber will suffer also and a bit of an over kill.

The slightly wider tyres (as factory fitted) will protect the wheel a little more if it does brush up against something, saving your beautiful alloys from scratching. Rubber is much more resilient against light scratches!

I have 18" AMG Monoblocks from a 210 E55 on my C43 and you have to go a one size in tyre width narrower on the 202. 265 on the rear will rub on the arches, so 255's have to be used, you might get away with 235's on the front, but they still rubbed slightly at speed on mine.
I have 225's on the front and 255's on the rear.

I have a w202 c230 Kompressor with W210 E55 18 inch AMG Staggered Monoblock alloys.

My fronts are getting near the limit so I have started looking around for new tyres.

I have read that the standard tyre sizes when fitted to the E55 should be:

Front: 245/40 (Also read size 235/40 so not sure)
Rear: 265/35

My car has:

Front: 225/40
Rear: 255/35

I am trying to decide if I should do like for like replacements, or go back to the original sizes. I do wonder if the tyre sizes on my car were for arch clearance purposes (I have no rubbing issues).

Ta
Andy

I'm not sure why you think it is relevant what tyres those wheels would have if on a 210...you have a 202...a different car entirely. 225/40 are the correct size for the fronts for your car...235/40 are correct for the 210...but you don't have a 210.:confused::confused:

255/35 are the correct rears for your car...to match the front. Your car is designed to take a particular diameter of tyre, the 210 a different (greater) diameter.

I'm not sure why you think it is relevant what tyres those wheels would have if on a 210...you have a 202...a different car entirely. 225/40 are the correct size for the fronts for your car...235/40 are correct for the 210...but you don't have a 210.:confused::confused:
Not sure why you think it's irrelevant. I have a set of alloys on my car (w202) that it was never designed to have on it. Even the AMG versions of my car only had 17" monoblocks not 18" monoblocks.

I was trying to ascertain why the tyre sizes had been changed from the original intended specifications on the E55 which they came from (To which andy27168 confirmed my suspicions, the original tyre sizes designed for the E55 AMG alloys rub when they are fitted to a w202).

So all good now, Andy has saved me alot of pain (and money) as I was thinking of changing back to the tyre sizes originally specified for those alloys, for peace of mind.

I'm no expert in tyre v alloy widths and the dangers that can happen straying from the original tyre specifications. However I do suspect Mercedes knew what they were doing when selecting the tyre size to fit the E55 AMG Alloys. So I needed justification on why my alloys had narrower tyres, and why I should not return them to standard.

Andy had a lot of experience with w202 so his advice is spot on

On another note what is the largest you could run on a 202 in 17 inch mono blocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom