Tyre Test, Winter v Summer v 4WD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rf065

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
This link is for the band of naysayers who refuse to believe that winter tyres have any value in the UK, especially the few who refuse to acknowledge they have any advantage over summer tyres.

Jaguar XFR winter tyre test | evo

Russ

Short and sweet.

The article matches my experience too, although I didn't rent a track and use a stop watch, just a snow covered road and my bum stop watch (a more simple version of the bum dyno).

If nothing else, take away the info on braking distances.

As for the rest of it, well, was rather wondering when they are going to do tests on Ursine defecation in a arborial environments.

shouldn't that be 'agressive' V grooves :D

Its all down to the V-grooves. :D

If you must run around the board attempting to ridicule and belittle someone who's never said a bad word about you or caused you any harm whatsoever then at least get your facts right or you might just be making a fool of the wrong person.

Firstly I said a slight 'V' cut. Not a V groove, V tread, V pattern or any other mis-interpretation.

Summer or rather not winter or off road tyres normally have their tread cut (or moulded) square into the tyre surface as this is the best shape for controlling water dispersal. Especially as the tread closes slightly in certain areas of the tyre as it makes contact with the road surface.

Winter tyres have their tread cut wider with a slight chamfer on it, or as I tried to describe without pictures, a slight 'V' cut. This is so slush and snow (or in the case of off-road tyres, mud) can fall out (or get thrown out) of the tread much more easily. This is because of the shape and because it forces the tread to open slightly as it comes in contact with the surface thus loosening whatever is stuck in it.

Illustration...

vcut.jpg

The illustration is exaggerated to illustrate the point. What would you have called it? A U cut? An X cut? A W cut?

This is not nonsense, it's standard practice (amongst others) in the manufacture of winter and off road tyres.

I never once (like others actually have) said that winter tyres don't work. I said they work very well on certain surfaces, no better on others, and in some cases worse.

I'm not prepared to debate the subject any further but I would appreciate it if you would please stop attempting to ridicule and belittle me with no foundation.

Regards,

ROTFL

Clearly you've still not actually gone to any of the links explaining how a winter tyre works.

An informative interesting thread spoilt by some of the remarks posted.

What exactly do you mean by "stinking winter tyres"?
I drove my tyres (loose, in the boot/back seat) to the fitting station and I can tell you they were pretty smelly. That said the old tyres were no better!

You don't need no stinking winter tyres, this is how the Swedes do it!
/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by "stinking winter tyres"?

I take it then you didn't actually click the link......

I drove my tyres (loose, in the boot/back seat) to the fitting station and I can tell you they were pretty smelly. That said the old tyres were no better!

On a wind still day I sometimes imagine I can smell mine when sitting still admiring the view from the top of a hill:p

No I did not click the link on how winter tyres work, mainly because I cannot find such a link in this thread only the Jaguar XFR winter tyre test link. Then Burger refers to a comment made earlier but there is no other post from Burger here.

Clearly I am missing something here, so a pointer to the source of the information would help.

I've been driving in all the worst weather and not got stuck becasue my summer tyres can't hack it (they're bad, but not useless).

All the delays I've had are either log jammed roads due to lorries and inexperienced car drivers blocking the roundabouts and junctions. Having winter tyres woundn't have helped me in those delays.

I'm sure winter tyres are great but they are also, too a greater extent, a howling waste of money, imho. Cue angry 'ive spent £5000 on winter tyres so they must be worth it' points of view.

Now all season tyres make much more sense....

I've been driving in all the worst weather and not got stuck becasue my summer tyres can't hack it (they're bad, but not useless).

All the delays I've had are either log jammed roads due to lorries and inexperienced car drivers blocking the roundabouts and junctions. Having winter tyres woundn't have helped me in those delays.

I'm sure winter tyres are great but they are also, too a greater extent, a howling waste of money, imho. Cue angry 'ive spent £5000 on winter tyres so they must be worth it' points of view.

But then as long as a significant amount of people think this way there will always be the same problem won't there?

How are they "a howling waste of money"? While using them you are not wearing out your other tyres and providing you don't leave it too late to purchase are cheaper than summer tyres. Over the medium to long term they could quite easily be zero or less than zero cost, particularly if you have the space to store the set you aren't using and buy a cheap set of smaller wheels for your winter tyres.

But then as long as a significant amount of people think this way there will always be the same problem won't there?

How are they "a howling waste of money"? While using them you are not wearing out your other tyres and providing you don't leave it too late to purchase are cheaper than summer tyres. Over the medium to long term they could quite easily be zero or less than zero cost, particularly if you have the space to store the set you aren't using and buy a cheap set of smaller wheels for your winter tyres.

Because you'll get 1 weeks use out of them doing ehat they're supposed to do, then 4 months of wearing out surpless to requirements tyres. Factor in cost of fitting tyres, find a fitter, biiking appointments, and/or find an extra set of tyres.

Just take the day off!

As I say, each to their own. All season is what I'd go for when mine wear out. having said that the rears last forever, its the fron ts that take a hammering.

How many more times will people make uninformed posts about winter tyres I wonder? :rolleyes:

Because you'll get 1 weeks use out of them doing ehat they're supposed to do, then 4 months of wearing out surpless to requirements tyres. Factor in cost of fitting tyres, find a fitter, biiking appointments, and/or find an extra set of tyres.

Just take the day off!

As I say, each to their own. All season is what I'd go for when mine wear out. having said that the rears last forever, its the fron ts that take a hammering.

Well if you only get 1 week of the year at less than 7 degrees C then you clearly don't need them do you. I on the other hand have been in such weather for about a month now including down to minus 11 and a couple of weeks in snow, slush and ice conditions. Also forecast more snow and sub zero temps later this week and we're only half way through December.

Whichever tyres are on the car they are going to wear out eventually. Winter tyres will wear less in winter than summer tyres so I don't see your point here.

Booked my fitting online and time taken to fit was less than an hour. I didn't need to take any time off but I certainly would have if I hadn't changed to winter tyres because my car would have been virtually un-driveable on the previous tyres in the snow

Already covered the cost. My winter tyres were cheaper (on the same wheels) than my summer tyres more than covering the cost of fitting. Eventually I plan to get a smaller set of winter wheels which will reduce the cost further. Over the longer term I expect to actually make a saving by changing to winter tyres each year.

I find it amazing that so many people who haven't even tried them just want to criticise and suggest they are a waste of money when seemingly everyone that has them wouldn't be without them. Are they for everyone? No probably not. If your mileage is low and you don't travel far I can see why you wouldn't want them. I on the other hand have to travel all over the country in all conditions and would not now be without them.

Well why don't you get a set then? Then at least one less snails pace summer tyred vehicle will no longer be holding up the rest of us.

My all seasons were in fact a lot cheaper than the summer tyres that I would have used, so I'm saving money AND still making money by being able to run my business.

A lot of drivers have discovered that driving on summer tyres has cost them a lot more than they bargained on, their insurance excess after a bump in the snow, not to mention their no-claims discount loss too.

You would make more sense saying summer tyres are total waste of money.

A howling waste of money? How many people in Central Scotland last week spent the night in their cars and lost 3 or 4 days at work, how many millions did that cost the Scottish economy? All preventable and uneccessary if we followed the example of other countries who never have our problems everytime it snows.

As for all season tyres making more sense, If you want to buy a tyre that is average at best in all weathers, then an all season is the tyre for you. Personally, I prefer a dedicated winter & summer tyre set up not a compromise, which is all an all season is.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom