Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Any one had any excelon tyres, i realise that they are budget tyres, just wondered what they are like.

I have not used those tyres. I have however just changed my Conti Contact Sport 3 tyres. I bought them a year ago and have covered 30K miles. The rears had worn very evenly down to 2mm. The fronts down to 3mm but the inside and outside edges were worn too far.

Sizes are front: 245/40/18 96Y Rears 265/35/18 96Y

I have replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Total cost £559.

Night and day difference in comfort and noise. Pressures still the same at 32psi Front and 34psi in the rear. No noticeable difference in handling but then I don't through the car around and is a little early to tell.

Budget tyres I've used are Falken and Fulda, which give a good performance to price ratio - which are fine on a standard saloon.
Though not sure if I'd fit them to an AMG if driven in anger.

I've used Kumos, and TBH I couldn't fault them really, quite a soft compound so to get the best out of them I changed fronts to back ever 5tho miles or so, and only good for 15/20tho miles
But at 70 quid a corner on 17" wheels not a bad tyre at all

Make sure your will is up to date ;)

Indeed the bit people don't take into account is tyres are the most important thing fitted to your car.

The stopping distance difference at motorway speed on budgets vs. Premiums is several car lengths.

Budget tyres I've used are Falken and Fulda, which give a good performance to price ratio - which are fine on a standard saloon.
Though not sure if I'd fit them to an AMG if driven in anger.

I have, and they are absolutely fine. When you start reaching silly speeds you need to be able to trust the tyres you are using. I have no fears using Falken ZE914's

Edit....... I wouldn't class Falkens as budget either. Mid range price yes, but not budget.

Last edited:
The stopping distance difference at motorway speed on budgets vs. Premiums is several car lengths.

As is the difference between new vs. worn.

Would be interesting to see new cheaper tyres vs. worn (say 3mm) premium tyres .......

Anyway, the cost of better tyres is often less than your insurance excess or the potential injury to a pedestrian etc. We owe it to ourselves to fit the best tyre we can afford.

I have, and they are absolutely fine. When you start reaching silly speeds you need to be able to trust the tyres you are using. I have no fears using Falken ZE914's

Edit....... I wouldn't class Falkens as budget either. Mid range price yes, but not budget.

Same tyres I use, and better than premium Michelins & Bridgestones I've had previously.

Russ

I don't know who makes Excelon tyres... through interestingly, the trade name 'Excelon' has been registered by ITOCHU Corporation of Japan, who owns Kwik-Fit and Stapleton Tyre Services (STS) in the UK. I wonder if this is a coincidence....?

Yep, they are a white label tyre from China for the Itochu Corporation. Just a different side wall moulding to many of the other white label tyres from factories over there producing cheap tyres from purchased old technology.

The thought of people fitting the like of Kumho, Nexen and Wanli fills me with enough dread, let alone these white label jobs.

The thought of people fitting the like of Kumho, Nexen and Wanli fills me with enough dread, let alone these white label jobs.

Did you know Kumho are one of the brands MB are fitting on new cars now in the show rooms?

Did you know Kumho are one of the brands MB are fitting on new cars now in the show rooms?

I had Kumho on my M3 when I bought it. They went out of shape and basically fell apart after some hard use.

Off they went replaced by four Michelin Super Sports. Chalk and cheese difference.

And MB will be rubbing their hands on what they are being paid to do so. Doesn't make it any better a tyre though.

Yep, they are a white label tyre from China for the Itochu Corporation....

I don't know where the Excelon tyres are manufactured... perhaps someone who has them can check where they are made. But Itochu is a well-established Japanese firm based in Tokyo (not China).

Interestingly Itochu reached an agreement with Yokohama to manufacture their tyres under license in Russia... so perhaps this is where the Excelon comes from...?

Wouldn't put anything other than Contisport contacts on my AMG. I did have a good set of falkens on my last non-AMG and they seemed OK...still better than P Zeros :)

Would be interesting to see new cheaper tyres vs. worn (say 3mm) premium tyres .......

I've seen results from this kind of testing, unfortunately I can't remember much about the results however, from the tests I go with worn premiums anyday.

Yep, they are a white label tyre from China for the Itochu Corporation. Just a different side wall moulding to many of the other white label tyres from factories over there producing cheap tyres from purchased old technology.

Do hope your not suggesting Kumho purchase their technology, like some. Whilst I've gathered you've had a bad experience with Kumho, as mentioned on a different thread they out perform Verds. in many curved tests, however, The Verds will cover more miles due to the harder compound..

I had Kumho on my M3 when I bought it. They went out of shape and basically fell apart after some hard use.

Off they went replaced by four Michelin Super Sports. Chalk and cheese difference.

Good that we all experience different things in life, I'd go for Kumho's over Mich. anyday. We have had so many problems with Mich. over the years starting with them not been in balance and round to start with and then becoming misshaped together with their wet weather issues they are no longer considered, guess it depends on driving styles..

I've seen results from this kind of testing, unfortunately I can't remember much about the results however, from the tests I go with worn premiums anyday.

Do hope your not suggesting Kumho purchase their technology, like some. Whilst I've gathered you've had a bad experience with Kumho, as mentioned on a different thread they out perform Verds. in many curved tests, however, The Verds will cover more miles due to the harder compound..

Good that we all experience different things in life, I'd go for Kumho's over Mich. anyday. We have had so many problems with Mich. over the years starting with them not been in balance and round to start with and then becoming misshaped together with their wet weather issues they are no longer considered, guess it depends on driving styles..

Yep I've stuck with Contis on the AMG so far and they are good. Coming from a family in the tyre business my dad refuses to let me fit rubbish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom