Unhappy cold starts w163 270ML cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
Hi
As winter creeps in we're getting the odd frosty morning. My 270 ML cdi starts perfectly on a mild day and even if left for 5 or so days but hates starting when frosty. Ive changed the glow plugs buts thats not made much of a difference is any.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Louis

If it cranks for ages it will probably be leaking diesel back to the tank, if it slow to crank over it may be new battery time.

Low fuel pressure most likely. Change fuel low pressure line o-rings (or all pipes), measure injector leak back (at cold conditions!)....

Low fuel pressure most likely. Change fuel low pressure line o-rings (or all pipes), measure injector leak back (at cold conditions!)....

Hi
I think I'll try that next. One garage changed glow plugs and reconditioned rely,another changed the high pressure fuel pump and a third charged the line between the filter and the high pressure pump but still I have the issue and they just scratch their heads.

Do I need specific orings? Are thr low pressure line orings easy to get to? Think I'll do them myself.

Cheers
Louis

I think reputable spare part seller will nowadays know MB o-ring issue and can sell right sized seals... hoses itself may brittle too and draw air in, do you see air bubbles in clear fuel lines? Measure injector back leak too, it's pretty easy DIY job, need only right size plastic hose and some clamping tool to block open end fuel line. Pictures of test setup found in forum/google...

I replaced A6120703132 fuel line (which had new orings) a year ago but that made no different during the winter of 2017/18 - I'm going to change A6120703232 (again with new orings) this summer and see what happens when it's cold again. I'll update when I know if its worked. (I didn't change the orings as A6120703132 was brittle and so ended up replacing the the whole line I didn't continue and just lived with it )

Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom