Uninsured won't be able to get fuel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed, the workaround would be for the cashier to ask for the temporary cover note (easily forged). This would cause angst towards the cashier and would slow down the process of buying for others.

This idea should be filed along with the square wheel.

I don't see why insurance companies can't put you on the database straight away, it's only a few clicks to do so.
I had a car taken off me by police because I was not on the database after two months, I had all my paperwork with me but the insurance weren't answering their phone.
I got all the costs back from the insurance company.

I think it means that uninsured drivers will not be able to get fuel from petrol stations.

No problem in getting fuel from other sources though, such as straight from an insured driver's fuel tank in the dark of night...

As above. Daft idea, inconveniences those who follow the law, ignored by those who don't.

I first heard this idea years ago from a manager of a service station. he was keen to reduce drive offs.

There are two related issues that I think need to be considered:

1. Drivers on foreign plates are generally exempt from almost everything... there is no effective way of enforcing the 6-months rule, some cars are kept here illegally for years. The same applies, by the way, to UK cars driven in Europe on UK plates for lengthy periods of time.

2. The cost of insuring a young driver is in the region of £3k to £5k... which is (roughly) 15%-25% of the UK average salary. This is insane and tempts people into breaking the law and driving uninsured.

As above. Daft idea, inconveniences those who follow the law, ignored by those who don't.

I first heard this idea years ago from a manager of a service station. he was keen to reduce drive offs.

I agree - not to mention the black market this will create. One lad insures his old banger, then spends the day driving back and forth between the local petrol station and his uninsured mates who wait for him back home with a long tube and a footpump...

And another thing.... the petrol station operator can only tell if the car is insured in general terms, but not if the 18 years old lad driving it is actually insured to drive it....

I think it means that uninsured drivers will not be able to get fuel from petrol stations.

No problem in getting fuel from other sources though, such as straight from an insured driver's fuel tank in the dark of night...

Had to laugh at this !! Nice one.

But having thought for a moment, aren't they already doing this? And then taking their gassed up truck to go and steal some lead roofing or copper wires!

It might also see an increase in cloning number plates to ones with insurance. Then simply drive off without paying! So may see an increase in drive offs!

And what if you want petrol for the lawn mower...how would that work, would you be allowed to put petrol in a can? Or, if you ran out of petrol, how would you fill a can?

And what if you want petrol for the lawn mower...how would that work, would you be allowed to put petrol in a can? Or, if you ran out of petrol, how would you fill a can?

Is the lawnmower insured? :D

The uninsured can pay me £5 a litre to get it for them :D

I'm gonna hold you to your word and come back to you once fuel reaches £5.05 per L ;)

This is no more than one of those headline-grabbing Good Ideas that, given a few moments thought, are revealed to be nothing of the sort.

Must've been a quiet news day, or one on which someone from HMG wanted/needed to divert attention from some other story with a high embarrassment factor.

I don't see why insurance companies can't put you on the database straight away, it's only a few clicks to do so.
I had a car taken off me by police because I was not on the database after two months, I had all my paperwork with me but the insurance weren't answering their phone.
I got all the costs back from the insurance company.

That sounds extraordinary.

Under what circumstances did that happen?

Agreed, the workaround would be for the cashier to ask for the temporary cover note (easily forged). This would cause angst towards the cashier and would slow down the process of buying for others.

The other workaround is to allow 14 days grace period so you could still get fuel during this two week window after insuring the car and then it would be checked against the database.

Still wouldnt work for foreign cars though...

Why not install sharp projecting posts, that extend to touch the bottom of the vehicle, and are only retratced when payment made, drive off without paying and rip the bottom of the car off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom