Uninsured won't be able to get fuel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why not install sharp projecting posts, that extend to touch the bottom of the vehicle, and are only retratced when payment made, drive off without paying and rip the bottom of the car off.

Something about having sharp posts ripping open a freshly filled fuel-tank while generating sparks that will ignite 60-odd liters of fuel in a petrol station with several thousand more litres just sounds like a recipe for a very large bonfire...

Plus, how would they compensate for different vehicles and who would pay when the inevitable damage happens to vehicles.

There is a petrol station in Rotherham that claims to have a device that can rise out of the entrance/exit it to puncture tyres.

No idea if it works though.

STEP 1. take empty fuel canister to pump

STEP 2. fill up said canister

STEP 3. put fuel in car

:dk:

Perhaps a rethink on the fueling system, park alongside pump, go to desk and pay for fuel required, fill car, pump shuts off when amount paid for is reached, drive off. Would save getting the £65.01 as well :D

Last edited:
Perhaps a rethink on the fueling system, park alongside pump, go to desk and pay for fuel required, fill car, pump shuts off when amount paid for is reached, drive off. Would save getting the £65.01 as well :D

Thats what they have in the US.

Some inner-city petrol stations do that at night.

It's a pain for honest drivers who want to just fill up, as you end up under-filling to avoid the risk of paying for more fuel than you actually receive.

It would solve the drive-off problem though.

Thats what they have in the US.

They also have pumps with card readers.
You swipe your card, it gets pre authorised for up to $75 dollars. You fill up your car and either stop when it's full or when you have hit the $75 mark.

Not particularly difficult or inconvienient, unless you only use cash, which I'd assume isn't that common these days.

They also have pumps with card readers.
You swipe your card, it gets pre authorised for up to $75 dollars. You fill up your car and either stop when it's full or when you have hit the $75 mark.

Not particularly difficult or inconvienient, unless you only use cash, which I'd assume isn't that common these days.

I avoid pay at pump because they always stop at £99 and I want to fill the tank completely so it isn't enough.

I like the idea in Sweden where each license plate is chipped and pinned by the government, who also pactually produces it. Frawking one is about 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% impossible. Also, there are no ridiculous personalised plates with incorrectly-spaced letters and numbers spelling out the owner's sexual proclivities or unclean habits, let alone his or her nickname.

tac

There is a petrol station in Rotherham that claims to have a device that can rise out of the entrance/exit it to puncture tyres.

No idea if it works though.

Those BMW runflats really do work then.

Our local ASDA, the cheapest in the area, has a filling station with no one to man it. Just drive up to pump, stick your card in and pin you can then fill to max £99. Press a button for a receipt if you want one and off you go. Very easy and quick with little overheads for ASDA.

That sounds extraordinary.

Under what circumstances did that happen?

I had just been to the MB dealer to order a key (this was in 2007) so I had all my paperwork with me, I was driving up the road right into a ANPR trap where they were stood in the road waving people in.
They told me I had no insurance so I produce my folder with everything in it, they said they didn't care because all they were bothered about was what the database said.
I tried ringing the insurance company but couldn't get through so the police said they were taking my car, I asked if my mate could pick it up with his trade plates and garage insurance and they said no.
The insurance company were at fault for not putting me on the database but the cops were bang out of order because I had everything with me, also they let a Polish guy drive off because he gave some BS excuse...
More like he was too hard to track down.
I had to ring the company until they answered later ( car had been stolen by then) and get them to put me on the database, go miles the next day to pick it up AND pay.
A nasty letter to the company got my money back in two days.

The system is flawed with it not being instant because if while you are waiting to be put on the data base you get a pull and it's late at night, or in my case can't get through to the company you get your car towed.
Don't get me wrong, the ANPR is great for getting uninsured drivers off the road BUT it needs to be up to date.

SHAUNE55 said:
I had just been to the MB dealer to order a key (this was in 2007) so I had all my paperwork with me, I was driving up the road right into a ANPR trap where they were stood in the road waving people in.
They told me I had no insurance so I produce my folder with everything in it, they said they didn't care because all they were bothered about was what the database said.
I tried ringing the insurance company but couldn't get through so the police said they were taking my car, I asked if my mate could pick it up with his trade plates and garage insurance and they said no.
The insurance company were at fault for not putting me on the database but the cops were bang out of order because I had everything with me, also they let a Polish guy drive off because he gave some BS excuse...
More like he was too hard to track down.
I had to ring the company until they answered later ( car had been stolen by then) and get them to put me on the database, go miles the next day to pick it up AND pay.
A nasty letter to the company got my money back in two days.

The system is flawed with it not being instant because if while you are waiting to be put on the data base you get a pull and it's late at night, or in my case can't get through to the company you get your car towed.
Don't get me wrong, the ANPR is great for getting uninsured drivers off the road BUT it needs to be up to date.

Not the first story like this that i have heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom