Unintentional W210 bodywork 'resto'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
Thought I might as well create this as a separate thread since it seems to be turning into a project despite my original intentions...

I picked up this 1997 V6 e320 from cozy's dad initially just because I didn't want to see it broken for spares before someone had checked if it was worth rescuing it or not.

But it's quite a nice spec (factory fitted AMG wheels / bodykit, early 3.2 v6, heated seats), holds the road very nicely for such a huge lump, and IMO the saloon in Azurite Blue is a fine looking car. I had to replace the CPS before it could be driven, but it drove very nicely on the way home, though the performance was a bit patchy to begin with.

When I got it home the initial quick assessment was not so good - one front springhanger was looking ropey, I thought the wheelarches had completely rotted through at the rear, and both front arches needed replacing:

DSC_0154_zpswgoaccno.jpg

DSC_0155_zps66whvzm2.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsmih1x0up.jpg

DSC_0160_zpsurcoocem.jpg

But I gave the angry rust patches on the rear wheelarches a bit of a poke with a screwdriver and it looks like it's just surface rust. And when I took the trim out of the boot to look at the condition of the wheelarches, rear quarter panels and the seemingly rusty rear crossmember I found no rust at all!

DSC_0158_zpsovwqdix1.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsz00z4xpt.jpg

DSC_0156_zps7ghf7nyp.jpg

DSC_0155_zps0623yuyr.jpg

So next stop was hooking it up to diags to see if the initial issues with poor performance were anything serious, and it came back with a clean bill of health.

I then realized this was looking like a 'keeper' :)

First stage in keeping it roadworthy (and appeasing my other half who was not impressed with it's looks) was to buy some Eurocarparts Premium front wings, which were such a good fit they didn't need any fettling at all. I then set about creating the proper AMG wheelarch lip:

duXaof.jpg

I did this by bending the lip in slightly increasing stages with an edge setting tool from Machinemart, followed by carefully finshing it off with a round-headed panel beating hammer.

Next came the primer - a standard cellulose high-build primer thinned 1:1 applied over 3 coats with a block rub down between.

fy1Qj8.jpg

Next came the water-based base coat, done in 3 coats. That took about 6 hours to do thanks to the extended drying time.

Ikc7Pi.jpg

And finally came a '1 pack' lacquer - basically the same as what came in rattle cans but it went on a lot smoother.
3IA1YG.jpg

And finally a good coat of smoothrite inside the wings (after primer) to try and keep the rust at bay. I'll be adding a coat of underseal too once it's thoroughly cured.

So then came time to change the front wings. This was a lot more hassle than expected since I needed to remove the sideskirts and bumper completely (presumably the pre-facelift AMG bodykit makes wing removal more tricky), but once I'd got it stripped down I found the front crossmember was in good condition:

ukRhe1.jpg

I decided I might as well take the headlights out to check the condition of the metal underneath - once again quite good:

qrtT6b.jpg

It'll need some work once I've taken out the wheelarch liners from underneath, but for the moment a quick coat of rust eater followed by blue smoothrite on the crossmember and under the headlights will keep it together for a while.

I then polished the headlights in 10 minutes using rubbing compound followed by t-cut followed by standard car polish, results were pretty good. I also took off the rubber surround to make sure I didn't damage that whilst polishing.

Once I'd got the sideskirts off (the early AMGs are held on with self-tappers rather than just pulling off) I had a good run along the sill with a hammer and screwdriver on the rust scabs - nothing serious, except for at the o/s/r where the wheelarch meets the sill. Bit of plating needed, but for a W210 this is remarkably good :)

CNH7D4.jpg

The new wings went straight on, but getting the side bolts to line up with the bumper was a struggle, and refitting the sideskirts was the devil's own job. All of which meant I ran out of time so had to refit everything without welding my spring hangers, but the final results were worth all the hassle:

qdNZcu.jpg

AGWUtr.jpg

However, the car obviously took exception to me replacing the wings without welding the spring hangers, and within a couple of days the o/s/f spring snapped meaning the car was undriveable:

TrOrM5.jpg

Off with the wings again, ordered some new springs, and started poking around the rust holes...

Drivers side springhanger, just looked like it needed a quick seam weld 'til I started poking:
MvL4TH.jpg

And from above, wonder how long it'd have taken a strong, unbroken spring to punch through that?
SEMVV1.jpg

And on the nearside firewall, I gave a tiny, slightly rough looking patch of paint a poke and found this underneath. Not a biggie, but goes to show you definitely can't trust W210 paintwork no matter how good it looks:
qxExgt.jpg

Last edited:
New panel welded in beneath headlight (with lots of Hammerite, later followed with underseal):
DSC_0237_zpsyokodgjw.jpg

Spring hanger plus a shedload of patching:
DSC_0236_zps79a2boeu.jpg

New springs fitted:
DSC_0238_zpsntjlkcpv.jpg

Wheels back on:
DSC_0240_zpscqernjnc.jpg

Final result (must get a better pic in the daytime)
DSC_0242_zpszhxsnypj.jpg

The front spring perches are a known W210 weak spot and MOT failure. The factory approved repair involved pop riveting a replacement perch into place but assumes there was sound metal to attach the replacement to! This was the Jürgen Erich Schrempp era whose motto was "never mind the quality feel the width" * and Mercedes quality took a dive its only now recovering from under former Chrysler frontman Dieter Zetsche.
Front Spring perch replacement DIY - Mercedes-Benz Forum
AND
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...pair-odyssey-afterwards-perch_repair_proc.pdf

* there were rumours of bodies made from inferior quality Russian steel but never proven

Last edited:
The front spring perches are a known W210 weak spot and MOT failure. The factory approved repair involved pop riveting a replacement perch into place but assumes there was sound metal to attach the replacement to! This was the Jürgen Erich Schrempp era whose motto was "never mind the quality feel the width" * and Mercedes quality took a dive its only now recovering from under former Chrysler frontman Dieter Zetsche.
Front Spring perch replacement DIY - Mercedes-Benz Forum
AND
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...pair-odyssey-afterwards-perch_repair_proc.pdf

* there were rumours of bodies made from inferior quality Russian steel but never proven

It seems to have rusted around most seams where the seam sealer's gone brittle. I think the issues were caused by the nasty bacteria which lived in the new 'green' MB paint, some manufacturing issue with that seam sealer, and presumably some problem prepping the seams before welding, maybe caused by the reduction in primer thickness.

Must admit I am a little concerned about the metal the spring hanger's attached to but I cut and welded in new metal beyond where rust had thinned the panel, then did multiple plug welds and seam welded round the spring hanger where it was in contact the inner wing. It seems to be strong enough but at some point I'll be trying to hunt down that larger MB repair panel which replaces the whole area, maybe sooner than later if the hanger shows any signs of settling / bending.

Great start to a thread. The W210 seems to be the unloved ugly duckling in the MB world.. nice to see some love for it

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk

Great start to a thread. The W210 seems to be the unloved ugly duckling in the MB world.. nice to see some love for it

I don't get the whole 'ugly duckling' thing, at least for the saloon. I think they look great, a mixture of the older-style W123 / W124 three box saloon and the sleek lines of the cars which followed. And the same for driving them - they have the solid feel and relaxing drive of the earlier cars, with the performance and toys of the later models.

If they hadn't been so poorly put together I'd have said they were the greatest Merc of all time :)

I don't get the whole 'ugly duckling' thing, at least for the saloon. I think they look great, a mixture of the older-style W123 / W124 three box saloon and the sleek lines of the cars which followed. And the same for driving them - they have the solid feel and relaxing drive of the earlier cars, with the performance and toys of the later models.

If they hadn't been so poorly put together I'd have said they were the greatest Merc of all time :)

I also like the styling

Shame 90% of them seem to be absolute rust buckets :(

I was repeating the opinions of others..not mine, I quite like them

I also like the styling

Shame 90% of them seem to be absolute rust buckets :(

Yeah, can't disagree with you there. Also the cabin has been designed to give off an air of solidity and luxury, but the plastic it's made of is cheap and brittle (like McDonalds Happy Meal plastic) so it's easy to damage things like the door cards when you need to change a window winder.

But everything else about them is great :thumb:

Good work, Marc.

In 5 years time, a 210 on the road will be a rare sight.

Yeah, there have been plenty of cases where people have gone "Actually they're great!" when a poorly regarded car has become rare, e.g. the E type Jag, Alfa GTV, Triumph Stag, etc and maybe the W210 will joint those hallowed ranks one day :)

Yeah, there have been plenty of cases where people have gone "Actually they're great!" when a poorly regarded car has become rare, e.g. the E type Jag, Alfa GTV, Triumph Stag, etc and maybe the W210 will joint those hallowed ranks one day :)

The Jaguar E-Type has never, ever been poorly regarded.

Good work, Marc.

In 5 years time, a 210 on the road will be a rare sight.

Yeah but so will every 90's car. Despite the rust, they are easily one of the most common 90's cars I still see around. There's loads of them 'round here. They must keep plodding through MOT's because the structural rot is concealed by undertrays's & mastic :D

I can't believe the finish you managed on the front wings with rattle cans. Top work!

The Jaguar E-Type has never, ever been poorly regarded.

People thought the Mk3s were fat, ugly and handled poorly, and in the mid 70s they were worth less than an Austin 1100 of the same age...

Yeah but so will every 90's car. Despite the rust, they are easily one of the most common 90's cars I still see around. There's loads of them 'round here. They must keep plodding through MOT's because the structural rot is concealed by undertrays's & mastic :D

I can't believe the finish you managed on the front wings with rattle cans. Top work!

Actually it was my 1st attempt at proper spraying but thanks anyway :D

And yeah, you're right actually, the only more common 90s car around is the Pug 306 and they're tougher than cockroaches. That's quite a weird turnaround really, given the w210's reputation for crustiness.

People thought the Mk3s were fat, ugly and handled poorly, and in the mid 70s they were worth less than an Austin 1100 of the same age...

The V12 model was very different from its Series I ancestor but it was never viewed as either fat or ugly by the contemporary motoring press or by the public in general.

And the handling was very good thanks to its excellent IRS unit.

Production ended in 1974 so there is no way that prices would have fallen into Austin 1100 (which was itself obsolete by 1973) territory by the mid-70s !!

(Not that any of this is relevant to your W210 restoration of course......)

Great work, I've always fancied one of these with a V8 on some amg monoblocks but the pictures that crop up of the structural rust is what scares me.

I figure a bmw e39 is a safer bet in that regard.

The V12 model was very different from its Series I ancestor but it was never viewed as either fat or ugly by the contemporary motoring press or by the public in general.

And the handling was very good thanks to its excellent IRS unit.

Production ended in 1974 so there is no way that prices would have fallen into Austin 1100 (which was itself obsolete by 1973) territory by the mid-70s !!

(Not that any of this is relevant to your W210 restoration of course......)

It was the era of galloping fuel price inflation so they weren't worth much at all! I remember trying to persuade my dad to spend an extra £25 on a red E-type roadster rather than the blue 1300GT he bought, but he was having none of it...

And yes, it was regarded as fat and ugly at the time, esp by Jag purists - it's design was very out-of-date by the mid-70s, it was made by Leyland, they dropped the V12 in just at the wrong time and the increase in ride height and that stupid grille ruined it's looks. Just goes to show how perception changes over the years. Of course when the XJS came out people immediately began to change their minds about the S3 ;)

Great work, I've always fancied one of these with a V8 on some amg monoblocks but the pictures that crop up of the structural rust is what scares me.

I figure a bmw e39 is a safer bet in that regard.

Yep, you're right there, but that'll make them much less common than the BMWs in years to come. Mine's not an AMG but it's got the factory-fitted AMG bodykit and IMO it turns a good looking car into a great looking one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom