University of Birmingham - Views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Continuing in the series of picking a university to go to in 2015 to study History -

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/178158-bristol-uni-saturday-anywhere-park.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/178185-oxbridge-better-than-all-rest.html

my daughter submitted her UCAS form a little while ago, picking Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham & Edinburgh.

Originally, before submitting the form, Birmingham was going to be her insurance choice but that got bumped up the list after we went to see it. It hadn't really registered on my radar before but seems to be well regarded by those looking for a spot next year & doing the picking. In my ignorance I expected it to be a bit iffy but I was mistaken & really very pleasantly surprised, it's actually lovely. And it's got it's own train station!

Anyway, she has received an unconditional offer to go to Birmingham in 2015.

No decision is going to be made until she's heard back from the others, & truth be told Bristol is currently in the #1 spot (we're waiting to hear the offers from Edinburgh, Exeter & Durham before traipsing the length & breadth of the British Isle for a gander), but my purpose in posting this thread is to try to get input from anyone who knows anything about the University of Birmingham - former inmates, current / former teachers, higher ed. pros, employer's views of the place etc, mates who went there & what they said etc, etc.

Anyone know the area the uni is in well?

Fire away, all opinions welcome & gratefully received.

TIA.

My son, now 36, went through Birmingham after a difficult start at school when assessed as dyslexic. With their help and encouragement, he went on to get a first and subsequently a Master's degree in Industrial Design. Can't praise them too highly. And the Brummies are lovely people once you get to know them!

Having worked in the Midlands I'd say avoid it - there are much nicer places to study. At the end of the day it's not just about the course - it's also about the people you meet, the environment and how it shapes you as a person.

Not very helpful but one of my daughters went there - some years ago now though. Surprisingly (to me) Southern biased students, mostly privately educated - she was the token Northerner and state school pupil on her floor in halls.

We live near Chester and one advantage of B'ham is that it's fairly quick to get to by train. Other daughter went to Nottingham a few years later and the across country train journey was a pain which was a nuisance as she was terribly homesick.

Having worked in the Midlands I'd say avoid it - there are much nicer places to study. At the end of the day it's not just about the course - it's also about the people you meet, the environment and how it shapes you as a person.

This is the city you're talking about rather than the uni?

In order I would go for Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Durham.

Durham is meant to be #1 in the UK for history. Why do you favour the other 4 over it?

Just I know some who studies at durham and its a pretty depressing and dull place...

I didnt know they were rated that well so ignore me... I know Bristol & Birmingham are rated very well.

I think the place you study has to be inspiring... Birmingham and Bristol are vibrant happening places that will invigorate the mind... in between the parties of course.

I studied at the LSE in London and I really would have been a different person had I chosen Warwick (campus based in the sticks)... I truly beleive that...

Those few years is when a child grows into an adult and more importantly its when people really find themselves... form their own opinions, become truly independent, social etc etc.

Key years in the journey of life.

Birmingham is a good university with a good history department. If you do an Arts subject I tend to think it essential to do it at the best university possible if you want a high flying job afterwards. Other factors such as big city life also apply, but after studying history I'm very alive to the reality that you need to stand out to an employer.

It's quite interesting hearing other opinions. Durham to me was a liberating experience from a large city, you were required to pitch in, make friends and participate in university life, there being few options otherwise. Having grown up near Bristol the notion that it is a vibrant happening place does come as a surprise, it's a nice provincial city with some good architecture, but none of the graduates I've met from there have been other than nice ordinary middle class, just like Durham, or Exeter or Edinburgh...

Last edited:
In order I would go for Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Durham.
I think that in the main most students like where they end up. I'd probably agree with Bristol being top of the list from the bits and pieces I hear but in the end don't over analyse it, if only because if there are any niggles when they get there, they may stress over having made the wrong choice. The reality is that there are going to be issues everywhere.

Birmingham has improved massively as a place to live in the last 20 years and it is fine. Beware of Durham in that it is a pretty place but isolated so the students end up travelling to Newcastle in search of entertainment (not that there is anything at all wrong with Newcastle).

I think one of the key things to check is how accessible and what sort of quality the out of halls accommodation is. Most uni's have invested heavily in ensuring that their halls are of a good standard, whether they contract out or manage them themselves, but the make or break can be whether the year out is in decent accommodation and is accessible to university.

We switched first choices based on the brilliance of the Newcastle pitch, and daughter didn't regret it, they delivered. A couple on my list, Manchester being one, did a dreadful job of presenting themselves. The down I have on Leeds was they sell flexibility of course choice, but in fact the course choice was a lottery based on who had a decent Internet connection and technique to get their option modules - you potentially could end up not getting any of the course choices that you wanted to do which is not what they sell when they talk about the options available to you.

What does your daughter wants to do after she graduates? Who are the companies and people she would want to work for in the industry of choice? Which universities do these companies and people recruit from and which are their universities of choice?

The answers to these questions will help you to select the universities more strategically. On the other hand, I would personally go with her 'gut' feeling as to which one would suit her most. Going to University is a big change for most students (unless you have been to boarding school) and while it can be exciting, on the most it can be miserable once the workload takes hold and the long dark winter evening sets in. She is more likely to succeed if she is in an environment that she has chosen for her self. With your support I am sure she will succeed at whichever university she selects/gets in.

What does your daughter wants to do after she graduates? Who are the companies and people she would want to work for in the industry of choice? Which universities do these companies and people recruit from and which are their universities of choice?

Jump out of bed each morning thrilled to go to work in a job she loves & is paid a ridiculously large amount of money to do.

Details a little sketchy after that.

Then the absolutely best ranked university she can get into.

Otherwise her definition might have to be stretched to include teaching history at a secondary modern in Slough.

Does that pay well?

They're called 'comprehensives' now aren't they?

That's what my daughter goes to anyway.

A natives view

Living 10 minutes walk from the Uni campus here's my 2p.

Birmingham is a great place to study; the facilities are excellent in the main. Selly Oak will satisfy most student food habits (mainly curry houses-varying quality) and Brum centre with its shops, venues, galleries, attractions etc is literally minutes away (2 railway stops down the line or a 10 minute bus journey).
Bands etc usually have Brum on their visit list so she can probably see whoever she wants and the Union has a busy social scene (fortunately on the other side of the campus from us!).

A lot of the students are now living in student apartment blocks which sure beats the BTL holes that many people used to have to put up with (Developer will know the places I mean) but I guess thats reflected in the price.

Ryanair out of BHX gives her access to cheap flights to sunnier climes if she and her new mates can afford.

Is she into the great outdoors? I ask because it’s an hour or so to the Peak District, 2 hours to north Wales, 2 and a bit to the southern edge of the Lakes etc etc. So a bit better located than Bristol but not as good as Mancs/Liverpool for that aspect of student life.

On the other hand getting to Londons not too much of a hassle; either by rail or coach.

When "the olds" visit she can get you to take her here or here for decent nosebag.

If I had not been a native I could well imagine studying @ Birmingham - as it was I went to Manchester (which is also a great place to study;))

If you have any specific questions/concerns about the area drop me a PM.

My tuppence worth. In order:

1. Durham or Edinburgh
3. Bristol
4. Exeter
5. Birmingham

I would echo what Mattc has said, I spent 5 years there and enjoyed it.

Very nice uni, good reputation and definitely not short of money with new facilities opening all the time. I cannot comment on the arts side but the engineering departments are pretty well regarded.

I was there in the days when everyone bar first years lived in slums in Selly Oak - that has probably changed by now. Some uni accommodation can be quite far out though so do your homework.

Good transport links, vastly improved city centre, very good sports facilities at the uni and a true campus style rather than buildings dotted around the city. Everything on site, athletics track, doctors, library, student union and all faculties.

I don't know anyone who went there that regrets it.

S

Jump out of bed each morning thrilled to go to work in a job she loves & is paid a ridiculously large amount of money to do.

Details a little sketchy after that.

That is a good start - so she is motivated by money. Now what high paid jobs are there out there for history graduates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom