Unknown cameras - speed or ANPR?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Does anyone know what the following cameras are?

I am aware of a lot of different camera types (particularly speed cameras) but I've not seen these before and I cannot find any information on them.

I reckon they are ANPR but a chap at work thinks they are speed cameras.

I notice the odd gantry has a couple of them.

:dk:

Last edited:
Are there any markings on the road?

Even average speed cameras need some ID markings on the road surface.

It's fine with me if it stops the punks who don't insure etc.!

Are there any markings on the road?

No, nothing. Not sure SPECS have markings though...

Last edited:
It's fine with me if it stops the punks who don't insure etc.!

But it doesn't... :(

There is a segment of the population who live off the radar... no enforcement possible... as someone in the debt collection business recently told me.

No fixed abode, no assets, no bank accounts or cards, it's all cash and pay-as-you go mobile phones. The car would have been bought in the pub and the Registered Keeper will be someone who left the UK a long time ago (if this person ever existed in the first place). Needless to mention such things as VED or MOT.

I suspect that not many people drive uninsured in their own car of which they are the Registered Keeper, registered with the DVLA at their actual home address, etc... what these cameras do catch however is the odd motorist who forgot to new their insurance, perhaps changed address and forgot to notify the insurer etc.

I do not oppose them... I just think this does not go far enough. Like with so many other things around us, the honest few pay for the many who prefer a free ride.

Rant over....

No, nothing. Not sure SPECS have markings though...
I think for speed calibration and proof even modern cameras need this but I could be wrong.

Agree with stratman clean air cameras once every vehicle is euro 19 lol then could be used for something more sinister

No, they dont. Distance vs time allows to work out the speed, for instance, at 70mph, to cover 200yds you will need approximately 5.8s.
If you get from A to B in less time, it is because the speed was faster than allowed.
There is also no set distance, as to how far A has to be from B. Whatever the gaps are, it is relatively easy to work out how much time is needed to travel between these points within the speed limits currently in force.

Where was this picture taken? These could be LEZ (low emission zone), or as already stated ANPRs.
We all know that as of October, there will be no requirement to have a tax disk displayed on the windscreen, and that it will all be done electronically.
As a result the ANPR network will be broaden to allow better capture of the offenders, and not just those without the road tax :)

It would have been nice if my local Council did the same with the Residents Parking Permit.

The technology is already in place anyway - traffic wardans can check if a parked car is legally parked or not (ie Pay by Phone) - so why not extend this to Residents Parking Permits as well?

Some may like the iconic stickers on the windscreen, but I for one would prefer to have my car as nature intended (or rather as MB intended...)

(or rather as MB intended...)

You mean full of squeaks, rattle and rust??

You mean full of squeaks, rattle and rust??

Well, my South Africa made W203 has none of the above and it is in fact the second most reliable car we ever had in our household (1st place to our 1997 Toyota which is still going strong and never missed a beat).

But this is also why I am hesitant to replace it with a W204 (or W205) - I may not get that lucky again...

If your W204 was to be anything like mine, then apart from rust I am getting plenty of the other two :wallbash:

Car went back in THREE times to the main dealer, couple of days spent each time, allegedly the whole dashboard was taken apart, and, well, it is actually worse!
One of the reasons why I will have a beemer on my drive in a week or two, instead of another merc.

If your W204 was to be anything like mine, then apart from rust I am getting plenty of the other two :wallbash:

Car went back in THREE times to the main dealer, couple of days spent each time, allegedly the whole dashboard was taken apart, and, well, it is actually worse!
One of the reasons why I will have a beemer on my drive in a week or two, instead of another merc.

I currently have a W204 Coupe and am pleasantly surprised by the build quality. No squeaks, rattles or dodgy trim.

The trim quality is absolutely spot on, I love being in this car, that is until I start driving it and all the rattling begins.
What makes it worse, is the MB customer service which I find absolutely appalling.
Despite the fact they have confirmed the noise is there and its damn right annoying, after attempt number three I was told that they unsure what to do next, so I should really get used to it :doh: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Btw, apologies to the OP for hi-jacking his thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom