Unlock iphone 3G

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
Has anyone successfully unlocked one of these to work on a different network apart from 02

Probably easier to use one of those magic SIM cards that wedges on top of your actual one.

Probably easier to use one of those magic SIM cards that wedges on top of your actual one.

Have that and tried it with Vodafone - reception is very poor. Same are with O2 sim works perfectly.

Can't say 100% whether it is the Magic SIM but my experience is not brilliant with it.

I am looking for Jailbreak and Yellowsn0w - but can't seem to locate it.

I am looking for Jailbreak and Yellowsn0w - but can't seem to locate it.

Some info here on Yellowsn0w. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/67797811/dont-eat-yellowsn0w

This forum is extremely good for mobile phone info re unlocking and problems.

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=92529&highlight=unlocking+iphone

This site gives you plenty of info+ the unlock tools for the i-phone.

http://www.quickpwn.com/

Obviously, you unlock these phones at your own risk, and invalidate the Apple guarantee

I just went through the links that JerryTommyGal posted above, and have managed to unlock it - just tested and vodafone works great!

Thanks JTG!

and AMGeed!

Can I ask whats the benefit of unlocking it to vodafone? will the internet 3g still work?

Can I ask whats the benefit of unlocking it to vodafone? will the internet 3g still work?

Yes provided you have the WEB option enabled as part of your contract.

Unlocking allows you to use the iphone with any carrier - currently locked only to O2.

Part of the unlocking uses JAILBREAK - this allows you to install and run iphone apps, that are not just supplied through the iTune Store but also 3rd party apps.

Yellowsn0w is a 3rd party app that allows you to unlock the iphone, which is why it needs to be 'jailbroken' first.

Try contacting your service provider.
Jailbreaking the phone is ok but you will only be able to update it from the jailbreak site.
If you update the phone on Itunes it will relock it.
My 3gs from Tesco was unlocked half way through the year.

No need to hack , you can legally unlock ANY iPhone through iTunes - even brand new ones still under contract .

How's it done through iTunes?

Simple : after O2's monopoly in the UK was broken , Apple enabled unlocking to take place through iTunes , even on brand new phones still under contract ( this does not mean that you can get out of a contract , but you can enable the handset to be used with any SIM ) .

Just launch iTunes with the phone connected and first of all let it sync so that all your content is backed up .

Then , select the phone under the 'Devices' tab on the left hand side of the screen , and select the 'Summary' tab at the top of the page .

About halfway down the page , select 'restore' which allows you to restore the phone to factory settings .

Let the phone run through the full restoration proceedure which takes about 15 minutes - at the end you will have a message 'Your iPhone is now unlocked'

You can then put in your new SIM before setting the phone up and then restore from your earlier back up .

I have unlocked three iPhones this way - it works .

Spooky I've just had an online chat with someone at O2, who's arranging for Mrs D's old 3GS to be unlocked, but it takes three days. I might have a go at Pontoneer's procedure a go - I've done 6 OS upgrades since 2200 last night, so I'll perhaps wait until tomorrow before doing another!!

Pontoneer said:
Simple : after O2's monopoly in the UK was broken , Apple enabled unlocking to take place through iTunes , even on brand new phones still under contract ( this does not mean that you can get out of a contract , but you can enable the handset to be used with any SIM ) .

Just launch iTunes with the phone connected and first of all let it sync so that all your content is backed up .

Then , select the phone under the 'Devices' tab on the left hand side of the screen , and select the 'Summary' tab at the top of the page .

About halfway down the page , select 'restore' which allows you to restore the phone to factory settings .

Let the phone run through the full restoration proceedure which takes about 15 minutes - at the end you will have a message 'Your iPhone is now unlocked'

You can then put in your new SIM before setting the phone up and then restore from your earlier back up .

I have unlocked three iPhones this way - it works .

Nice one. Will save a few bob with this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom