Unmanned Systems of World Wars I and II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Whilst looking on my TV guide I stumbled a fascinating National Geographic programme on WWII technology and part of it was on radio remote controlled aircraft. The adapted bombers streamed video to companion manned aircraft! Had no idea.

And why did Drones become the common term for UAvVs? Turns out, because of a British queen bee!
https://www.wired.com/2015/12/the-secret-history-of-world-war-ii-era-drones/
8cf5091a235e1691d05454d91be5ec2f.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

In all probability , the first 'successful' UAV , and ancestor of the cruise missile , was probably the German V1 , or Doodle-Bug , many of which were deployed during the war .

In all probability , the first 'successful' UAV , and ancestor of the cruise missile , was probably the German V1 , or Doodle-Bug , many of which were deployed during the war .

There were a few 'cruise missile' type aircraft developed between the wars that - like the later V1 - simply flew on a fixed course. The Queen Bee was arguably more sophisticated in that it was controlled from the ground ... pretty impressive for 1935. The Queen Bee was also built in some numbers, around 400 IIRC.

At the risk of being branded an aviation anorak :) the Queen Bee was essentially a De Havilland Tiger moth with remote control equipment installed. The production versions were built with a wooden fuselage (proper Tiger Moths had metal) in order to keep costs down. You can see an original Queen Bee at the De Havilland museum located at London Colney - it's complete with all the control equipment - well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Apologies for the off-topic, but the mention of Tiger Moth reminds me of the one in our barn (wings folded) in the early 60s. I remember looking up at in awe and trying to climb on it amongst the hay bales. It belonged to this Wiltshire farmhouse my parents moved to - no gas or electricity - rent at £2 per week! I'm playing in the background. Unfortunately​ no photo of the plane or barn :-(
fbe1b204238b82e4d005ccb371ff4a4f.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A proper barn find !

Might it still be there ?

A proper barn find !

Might it still be there ?
Yes! Unfortunately not there anymore as I've visited the house a few times over the years, externally as owners since have completely 6' fenced and hedged it in from the road, but it's possible to see they converted the barn. We used to have a couple of pigs, some chickens and farmer's sheep used to roam through the garden. Deer below in the forest. An idyllic place to spend the first 5 years of my life. Not bad for £2 a week! Would have liked to have seen the Tiger moth out and moving though!

Aviation anorak here again :) Tiger Moths have never had folding wings, as the design wouldn't permit it. The Moth in the barn is much more likely to have been a DH60 Cirrus or Gipsy Moth, which do have folding wings. The original intent of this feature was that you could keep it in your garage and tow it behind your car to the airfield when you wanted to fly it. Couldn't happen these days!

Ah ha! So I was getting my moths mixed up . Makes sense as my parents would have said if they were broken off. I've just checked out some Gipsy Moth pics and that looks about right. Thanks for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom