Update Command Sat Nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scubafill

Car
W211 E280 CDI
Moving house so with my last service had the Command Sat Nav updated.
MB dealer charged me £100, it can only be downloaded from MB, there is no sat nav disc reader in my CLS.
Went to view my new home, loads of roads and changes missing :mad:
Back to MB to be advised the latest update is 2015/16 :fail:
Spoke to MB customer services - its the latest version, don't know when the next update will be available :confused:
Back to dealer - they have offered 50% discount when the new update is released they don't seem to understand that I will be paying £150 for 2017 update :fail:
Apparently MB think this is acceptable :doh:

I thought 2016/2017 had been released now, or is that only for selected (older, disc-based) versions of COMAND?

What model CLS do you have ? 219 or 218 ? And do you know what system is in there ?

If it is an early 218 then yes latest is 2015/2016

Richard

What model CLS do you have ? 219 or 218 ? And do you know what system is in there ?

If it is an early 218 then yes latest is 2015/2016

Richard

Richard its a 2011 CLS 350 cdi. so I think its a second generation W218

The update has to be downloaded, there is no separate CD/dvd reader in the car for the Command system

I thought 2016/2017 had been released now, or is that only for selected (older, disc-based) versions of COMAND?

Cant see how that would make a difference, if they have the data for the disc they must have it for the more modern versions.

Just bought a Garmin for the wife - Lifetime free automatic updates :rolleyes:

Not familiar with the CLS, but on a general note... COMAND SatNav maps update can be done via the infotainment system DVD drive (the same drive used for audio CDs), i.e. there is no need for a separate navigation CD or DVD drive in order to be able to update the maps from DVD media.

The maps are then copied from the maps DVD media onto the COMAND's internal hard disk drive.

Also, if you can post a photo of the COMAND system it may help identify it.

Last edited:
....Just bought a Garmin for the wife - Lifetime free automatic updates :rolleyes:

Sadly it's a well known fact that car manufacturers charge extortionate amounts for maps update, compared to standalone SatNav units and smartphone-based software.... things might change when Apple CarPlay and Android Auto become standard and smartphone-based SatNav applications will finally replace the manufacturers' proprietary navigation software... but until then we have to pay or use older maps.

Cant see how that would make a difference, if they have the data for the disc they must have it for the more modern versions.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Maybe it's the additional features on newer versions that take longer to implement. NTG2 is probably just mapping that Mercedes buy from someone else.

Not familiar with the CLS, but on a general note... COMAND SatNav maps update can be done via the infotainment system DVD drive (the same drive used for audio CDs), i.e. there is no need for a separate navigation CD or DVD drive in order to be able to update the maps from DVD media.

The maps are then copied from the maps DVD media onto the COMAND's internal hard disk drive.

Also, if you can post a photo of the COMAND system it may help identify it.

I understand that Markjay. I was told I could not buy the CD'd then I was given two CD's in a case. Part number A212 827 02 00 the case says the Maps are provided by Tom Tom. Makes it even more difficult to understand why the update is two years old

I understand that Markjay. I was told I could not buy the CD'd then I was given two CD's in a case. Part number A212 827 02 00 the case says the Maps are provided by Tom Tom. Makes it even more difficult to understand why the update is two years old

Nor sure why they told you you couldn't buy it... if you Google "A212 827 02 002" there are lots for sale online.

I can't comment on why there isn't a more recent update though.... you could perhaps argue that you should have been told that the most recent update is two years out of date before purchasing, I do not know.

But realistically if you now have the latest version that MB released, not sure what more can the dealer do at this point? I think their offer of 50% discount off future release is fair, but even if you disagree, there's nothing the dealer can do to get newer maps for your SatNav.

I know this not the answer you are looking for, and I agree that the communication from the dealer before the update could have been better, but either way if you must have updated maps then the only option available to you at this juncture seems to be a standalone or smartphone based SatNav.

Isn't the main reason that the TomTom maps sold by MB become out of date because they're released for distribution by DVD (or CD for older versions of COMAND) rather than over the air or by download for TomTom's own devices?

I also suspect that it's cheaper for MB to buy snapshots of the map data rather than always have the very latest version. If I was TomTom I would preserve that benefit for my own customers, or charge intermediaries like MB handsomely for the privilege!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom