Upgrade aerial to improve W204 DAB reception??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RetiredMan

Car
2012 C250 CDI Coupe & W209 CLK320 Convertible
The shark fin aerial on my C250 CDI Coupe gives very poor DAB reception on the NTG4.5 Comand head. Even if you tie the station(s) reception is v poor compared with my Fiesta ST and other sets. I gather there are amplifiers in the cabling to enhance signal (is that right?) - if so they're not much use! My MB dealer acknowledges the poor reception but says it's working properly and there isn't an MB upgrade. Can I readily access the fin aerial from inside and replace it with a proprietary amplified FM/DAB/GPS roof mast aerial with (presumably similar fakra) connectors? I've just replaced my wife's W209 faulty Comand 2.0e head with a 7" windows CE-based DVD/Bluetooth/Satnav head and successfully linked it to the Bose speakers so I'm happy to have a go with the C Class coupe aerial to be able to still get "Planet Rock" now it's moved!! Any advice welcomed.

Welcome to the forum, there is a few threads on this. Search for Dab and you will see it's common. comandonline.co.uk are worth a visit. They are on here quite a bit. My 2012 c63 dab is fine but wife 2014 c250 is rubbish

I looked at the closest-sounding past posts on this topic. Couldn't see anything directly relating to the aerial(s). I unclipped the cover inside to look at the base of the shark fin. There appears to only be one lead to that, so is that just the GPS receiver, and is the aerial (FM & DAB?) in the rear screen (as well as the HRW of course)? - and is the little box linked to the cabling in the rear screen, the amplifier for it?? Once I get to the bottom of this, I hope to understand if an amplified aftermarket roof aerial is a practical option.

I'll try Comandonline in Lightwater too.

The shark fin aerial on my C250 CDI Coupe gives very poor DAB reception on the NTG4.5 Comand head. Even if you tie the station(s) reception is v poor compared with my Fiesta ST and other sets. I gather there are amplifiers in the cabling to enhance signal (is that right?) - if so they're not much use! My MB dealer acknowledges the poor reception but says it's working properly and there isn't an MB upgrade. Can I readily access the fin aerial from inside and replace it with a proprietary amplified FM/DAB/GPS roof mast aerial with (presumably similar fakra) connectors? I've just replaced my wife's W209 faulty Comand 2.0e head with a 7" windows CE-based DVD/Bluetooth/Satnav head and successfully linked it to the Bose speakers so I'm happy to have a go with the C Class coupe aerial to be able to still get "Planet Rock" now it's moved!! Any advice welcomed.

The aerial on the roof is not used for DAB in the UK. Your aerial is in the rear window.

I believe I may have already responded to this via email for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom