Upgrading In Car Technology on older models.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redf00t

Car
2004 W211 E55k
Hi all,

Been lurking in the forum for a while now reading and learning.

Currently my daily is a W204 (Merv), leased as I was doing big miles in 2014. When I leased Merv, I had all the bell bells and whistles added. Comand etc, and have been really happy with the tech.

Merv goes back to Merc in March and I no longer do the miles I did, so I'm thinking about moving away from leasing.

I've always wanted a v8 and now's the time, as I won't be doing the miles. I'm thinking E55k and am hunting for one in obsidian black (my favourite colour) as we speak.

My question is, staying OEM, and possibly Merc, is it possible to get the 2014 or newer spec tech installed in older models?

If so, is there a company out there doing this?

I'm not really a fan of aftermarket stuff, I upgraded the head unit in my r170 and wasn't pleased, it works but doesn't look all that.

Its possible to keep it as OEM as possible but really depends on what you are willing to spend as OEM will get quite expensive to get all the functionality you are after.

Generally however you are in a good place with a car like the E55 for example. It will come with all the SAM units in place and more than likely sat nav from factory. In terms of wiring and additional upgrades there will be less splicing etc involved as it would be involve maybe upgrading a few modules, the source unit and coding. Im sure someone in the know will be able to come forward and better advise.

Out of interest what exactly are you intending to upgrade e.g.

Bluetooth, Newer Nav etc

Hi all,

Been lurking in the forum for a while now reading and learning.

Currently my daily is a W204 (Merv), leased as I was doing big miles in 2014. When I leased Merv, I had all the bell bells and whistles added. Comand etc, and have been really happy with the tech.

Merv goes back to Merc in March and I no longer do the miles I did, so I'm thinking about moving away from leasing.

I've always wanted a v8 and now's the time, as I won't be doing the miles. I'm thinking E55k and am hunting for one in obsidian black (my favourite colour) as we speak.

My question is, staying OEM, and possibly Merc, is it possible to get the 2014 or newer spec tech installed in older models?

If so, is there a company out there doing this?

I'm not really a fan of aftermarket stuff, I upgraded the head unit in my r170 and wasn't pleased, it works but doesn't look all that.

I know what you mean by after market not looking great...but...you can get android units for these cars which mimic the look of OEM very very closely...and have much more functionality:

Android 5.1 Autoradio GPS Satnav DVD For Mercedes Benz E320/E270/CLS500/CLS55 | eBay

Its possible to keep it as OEM as possible but really depends on what you are willing to spend as OEM will get quite expensive to get all the functionality you are after.

Generally however you are in a good place with a car like the E55 for example. It will come with all the SAM units in place and more than likely sat nav from factory. In terms of wiring and additional upgrades there will be less splicing etc involved as it would be involve maybe upgrading a few modules, the source unit and coding. Im sure someone in the know will be able to come forward and better advise.

Out of interest what exactly are you intending to upgrade e.g.

Bluetooth, Newer Nav etc
Mostly the Nav, Bluetooth would be good too, if it's not already there?

Is there a page in the forums that details the options that were available on the E55k (211)?

I know what you mean by after market not looking great...but...you can get android units for these cars which mimic the look of OEM very very closely...and have much more functionality:

Android 5.1 Autoradio GPS Satnav DVD For Mercedes Benz E320/E270/CLS500/CLS55 | eBay
That actually looks really good. I had the XTRONS D778a fitted to my r170, and it works well, just looks horrid. I'd like DAB too, as I've got used to listening to TalkSport without the "AM hiss".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom