Upgrading to Electric Folding Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frogtastic

Car
B180 Sport
Hi,

I've seen afew thread discussing this but non with full details of whether this is a plug and play sort of upgrade assuming genuine parts are used. Ive seen afew parts dealers with the wing mirrors and electric control block but wonder how much further would I need to go?

Does anyone know if the wiring loom in W245 2010 are multi functional and therefore able to support electric folding mirrors?

Mercedes a general rule do not include redundant wiring in their looms. If the car left the factory without a particular option it's highly probable the wiring is not present.

Certainly the case in the upgrades I had done on my 203...

For my previous w169 A Class I was quoted £1,100 to retrofit folding mirrors. Needless to say I included this option on the next one at £145 from the factory.

Was there a manual folding option for these? My mirror keeps getting smashed and I need to do something.

Hi,

I've seen afew thread discussing this but non with full details of whether this is a plug and play sort of upgrade assuming genuine parts are used. Ive seen afew parts dealers with the wing mirrors and electric control block but wonder how much further would I need to go?

Does anyone know if the wiring loom in W245 2010 are multi functional and therefore able to support electric folding mirrors?

you will need the folding mirror housings. the existing trims will fit.

You need to check your door controllers support folding mirrors. You will also need the new door switch.

Then some coding.

you will need the folding mirror housings. the existing trims will fit.

You need to check your door controllers support folding mirrors. You will also need the new door switch.

Then some coding.

Any additional wiring?

I thought all mirrors manually folded if needed?
Maybe I got lucky with my cars from 1987

Was pretty surprised these don't manually fold.

Frog I didn't realise this till recently too, but I have igoven it some brute force and they do unclip eventually and can be folded in about half way... But they swing freely on the pivot point and can easily be moved from half way to fully out by a breeze! I wished I'd known about this feature and had held out for a W245 with folding mirrors now. ( and heated seats if they were available?)
Good luck.

I didn't realise this till recently too, but I have igoven it some brute force and they do unclip eventually and can be folded in about half way...

That's only to comply with safety requirements, and only meant for impact folding. Once folded [by force] the mirror meant to be re-fitted by dealer/garage.

I'm in the same boat, unfortunately - W169 mirrors are the same.

As far as I know, the W169 and W245 are the only models, in recent years, not to have manually folding mirrors, even the old W168 had this. Can't see the logic behind removing this functionality, to be honest.

If I keep this car, I'm going to get doors with folding mirrors from a facelift model, taking care of the wobbly seal rust, new shape mirrors and the folding option all at the same time ... that's the plan anyway :crazy:

Well I came across the Mercedes do not put the wiring in if it is not specified when new,but while I accept that heated front seats might not have the wiring I cannot believe that they have a different loom for cars with or without folding mirrors,if you believe that them Mercedes are the only car manufacturer who are increasing the number of parts needed to complete a car,added to that the cost of buying small numbers of wiring looms from the other side of the world would make it crazy,apart from cost,you would also increase the space needed on the assembly line and increase the chance of mistakes being made,where if the loom is capable of running all options the guy fitting the folding mirrors will not have to shout and then the car is bought off to a repair section ,still let us know how you get along,strangely you are looking at the same area I was looking at the mass of wire entering your car doors .

Well I came across the Mercedes do not put the wiring in if it is not specified when new,but while I accept that heated front seats might not have the wiring I cannot believe that they have a different loom for cars with or without folding mirrors,if you believe that them Mercedes are the only car manufacturer who are increasing the number of parts needed to complete a car,added to that the cost of buying small numbers of wiring looms from the other side of the world would make it crazy,apart from cost,you would also increase the space needed on the assembly line and increase the chance of mistakes being made,where if the loom is capable of running all options the guy fitting the folding mirrors will not have to shout and then the car is bought off to a repair section ,still let us know how you get along,strangely you are looking at the same area I was looking at the mass of wire entering your car doors .

Well believe it or not, for the W169 A-Class and the W245 B-Class, Mercedes actually makes more than 16 different door control modules! There is even two different light sensors (one with rain sensor and one without) - both priced at exactly the same price!

Such as is the precision of their manufacturing processes, the parts required for the build of each car is pre-configured weeks before it hits the production line. This is why the parts department always require the VIN number to obtain the correct part for one's car.

I can well believe they make many door modules but it is the wiring loom which is the important bit,take my S 320 drivers door,it has buttons to lift the seat move it forward and back move the back of the seat and the head rest then we have the memory buttons,and of course the buttons to raise and lower all four windows and open the boot and the button for the mirror,what it does not have is heated seats,the module is different you can buy the modules on ebay sometimes,I went into it and was assured the wiring was not there,ok,I did not pull the door apart to check,but a door mirror no I bet the wiring is there if I remember the mirrors come with wiring and a plug on the end that just connects to a block at the top of the door ,that is why I hope the guy finds that all he needs is a couple of folding mirrors and a poke around a ECU to enable them.

I can well believe they make many door modules but it is the wiring loom which is the important bit,take my S 320 drivers door,it has buttons to lift the seat move it forward and back move the back of the seat and the head rest then we have the memory buttons,and of course the buttons to raise and lower all four windows and open the boot and the button for the mirror,what it does not have is heated seats,the module is different you can buy the modules on ebay sometimes,I went into it and was assured the wiring was not there,ok,I did not pull the door apart to check,but a door mirror no I bet the wiring is there if I remember the mirrors come with wiring and a plug on the end that just connects to a block at the top of the door ,that is why I hope the guy finds that all he needs is a couple of folding mirrors and a poke around a ECU to enable them.

In the case of the door mirror on the W169 yes it is on the mirror itself. But as a general point one cannot assume that the wiring loom is there. Case in point is the cruise control function - fitted only on some W168 so a bit of a hit and miss.

Wong, isn't the A1698206710 9174 unit for the 4 windows variant (500+584)?

I need the one pictured in your write-up, i.e. the two window version - I only have two doors.

The EPC is utterly confusing at this point - there are same part numbers listed with three or even four different configurations, e.g. 6810 (which is what I need I suspect) is shown with no 500, and no 583, then with 500 only, then with 583 only and finally, with both 500 and 583 :crazy: (not to mention same parts for L & R versions) ...

Sorry, the one with no 500 and no 583 is 6910, but still - three different configurations for the same part number? Six, if you count L & R listings!

:dk:

In the case of the door mirror on the W169 yes it is on the mirror itself. But as a general point one cannot assume that the wiring loom is there. Case in point is the cruise control function - fitted only on some W168 so a bit of a hit and miss.

I retro fitted folding mirrors to my W168, there was no wiring present in the doors or inside the car.

I have a complete 168 main loom that shows someone clearly was having an off day when it was manufactured, most of the folding mirror wiring is taped up within the loom except the wires for the left-hand mirror which are taped to the outside of the loom!

Wong, isn't the A1698206710 9174 unit for the 4 windows variant (500+584)?

I need the one pictured in your write-up, i.e. the two window version - I only have two doors.

The EPC is utterly confusing at this point - there are same part numbers listed with three or even four different configurations, e.g. 6810 (which is what I need I suspect) is shown with no 500, and no 583, then with 500 only, then with 583 only and finally, with both 500 and 583 :crazy: (not to mention same parts for L & R versions) ...

Sorry, the one with no 500 and no 583 is 6910, but still - three different configurations for the same part number? Six, if you count L & R listings!

:dk:

Correct as I couldn't locate the part number for the correct two window variant, I transplanted the circuit board from a 4 window variant to the two window variant housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom