Use of DVD while moving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The hoss

Car
Mercedes cl500 2005
I have now got my command centre fully functional, I want to access the menu to disable the 'while in motion blanked out' on the DVD , model of the car w215 year 2005. I have seen several ways to get into the system, but it seems that with each model it's different way to get in.
Any body help?
:dk:

I have to ask, but why would you want to play a DVD whilst driving?
:confused:

ATB

Sorry OP, but with my experience of this forum, this thread will not end well.

DVD in motion appears to be a very contentious subject.

I think a few can help but most won't. Last time I saw this discussed the thread was swamped with legality posts etc. Personally I think it is your choice what you do with your vehicle and if I knew how to do it I would tell you

The only reason, is I will be travelling with the kids, so it keeps them happy, don't mind if it cuts me from seeing the screen but others can. No major issue

Load a tablet up with films and get a headrest mount, some are very slimline now. Better quality screen, can be used in any car and now discs to be swapped in and out.

Portable DVD player x 2. With earphone sockets.
It's just not worth the risk………you have only to be knocked out in a collision and anyone can see the head unit playing leading to insurance issues, never mind (as mentioned) dreaded legal consequences.

Last edited:
I played 'spot the red/blue/green/white etc etc car' with my three year old on the way to Cornwall recently.

Within an hour I was wishing I had a DVD player

2 hours I was praying for a meteorite to fall on the car . :D

By the time we got there I needed a drink.

On some models of COMAND it can not be done at all, so don't rely on there being some secret menu or STAR option for it, though there's a 'video-in-motion' thingy you can buy off eBay that will do this by making COMAND think the car is not moving.

Personally I wouldn't do it though, event if you do not watch it yourself the potential of getting in trouble with insurance and police is always there.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm travelling through France from Northern Spain off the ferry, so that was why. I'll look at the tablet they can use on the headrest

TBH your better off going with a tablet or portable DVD player, picture in motion will invalidate your insurance even if your not watching it during an accident if found they will use it as an excuse to avoid paying out. I agree its your car do with it as you will but its illegal for a reason

If you did manage to get it working it would be difficult for the children to see the screen at the front so this would probably lead to them leaning forward which would make their seatbelts less effective in a crash.

Cruising through France and Spain to accompaniment of Hot Potato by the Wiggles and other such classics, repeated over and over and over and over and over………….whatever happened to colouring books, Fuzzy Felt, Lego, Etch-a-sketch etc etc?

I'd love to hear hot potato !

Current favourite is 'Nursery Rhymes'

Baa baa black sheep , wibbly wobbly scarecrow etc etc , all sung in a saccharine American voice .... Endlessly.

Cruising through France and Spain to accompaniment of Hot Potato by the Wiggles and other such classics, repeated over and over and over and over and over………….whatever happened to colouring books, Fuzzy Felt, Lego, Etch-a-sketch etc etc?

"They're like so last generation..."

went through this phase... found out my command unit had been updated with newer software and couldn't get 'secret menu' I then went and bought the plug in unit which allows video in motion... but was for different model... as my sat nav was having issues... ripped the lot out and now have an aftermarket screen in the front which will play whilst driving... most of the stuff I have on the hard drive is music videos.... prefer to have these rather than just MP3's.... bought another 6" clarion screen which will plug in to the back of the head unit... this will be for rear passengers, but need to fabricate a mount behind the central armrest/ cubby box. I don't see a problem with video in motion and just needs a degree of common sense

As above, portable cig lighter ones are so cheap now it's not worth messing with fixed units that the kids can't really see anyway.. Just get one of those multi cig adaptors ...

Oh and take some spare fuses... Our cig lighter fuse blew twice on a long trip recently... Mainly because we had a few things on it.. The cooler box probably didn't help.

Most modern cars have extra sockets though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom