Used GL as the family work horse. Thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lennox

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
As the family is still expanding and the wife may be stopping work I'm considering getting a big family wagon. Don't shoot me but I quite like the VW transporters but the wife want a 4x4 and she likes the MLs. However, I can see us needing 7 proper seats on a common basis. The A6 will be the mile cruncher.

So GL, good reliable family car? Or a money pit??

I'm looking at spending up to circa £18k.

Im liking 420s with a bit of kit...

Mercedes-Benz GL Class 4.0 GL420 CDI 5dr

A facelift GL from late 2010 would be a very nice thing indeed. I'm not hearing of much in terms of issues, but as they have air suspension that'll always be of slight concern, though there are better value replacements available these days.

If you can get a warranty with it then it would be a great work horse for the family. I love them.

At the age that you are considering - a warranty is definitely worth it.

Super car and at £ mid/late-teens, they are very much, value for money cars.

Showing their age a little but still fewer on the road than the equivalent (7 seater) Q7s.

Air suspension is a foible along with to a much limited degree lights and then seats 6 and 7.

Luckily have had both the GL and ML in the V8 and think it a great engine. The ML is more user friendly in traffic due to size but the extra seats in the GL are worth it for family/friends duty.

Would happily have another - but no matter which "man maths" I use, cannot justify the GL63.

Air suspension is a foible along with to a much limited degree lights and then seats 6 and 7.

Luckily have had both the GL and ML in the V8 and think it a great engine. The ML is more user friendly in traffic due to size but the extra seats in the GL are worth it for family/friends duty.

Would happily have another - but no matter which "man maths" I use, cannot justify the GL63.

had an X5 that required rear suspension airbags, luckily under warranty as they are a fortune. Does make we wonder as its for the wife I don't just leases a cheap 7 seater?!? But I really fancy a GL. Almost regretting the A6 lease right now, oh well in 2 years I can maybe buy an almost new GLS.

If your not doing 7 seats you should just do the job properly and join us here....

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/204135-we-need-landrover-sub-forum.html

I am a huge latest generation RRS & RRFF fan. But cannot afford either unfortunately. Nearly bought a new Disco Sport but just didn't like the interior. My sister in law has a 2014 HSE Disco 4 and I just don't like it. It's like a slow wobbly sofa for the road. The Disco 5 imho cannot come quickly enough.

Bit of a cliche but go for a facelift GL (as Pete points out), I had an early W164 (same as the GL but smaller) ML 420 and while the engine is a bundle of fun, the quality of the interior left a lot to be desired, not to mention everything being black.

The facelift I've got now is a definite improvement but still not great if I'm being honest, cheap plastics and Artico upholstery don't make me feel as though I'm sat in an premium vehicle.

Bit of a cliche but go for a facelift GL (as Pete points out), I had an early W164 (same as the GL but smaller) ML 420 and while the engine is a bundle of fun, the quality of the interior left a lot to be desired, not to mention everything being black.

The facelift I've got now is a definite improvement but still not great if I'm being honest, cheap plastics and Artico upholstery don't make me feel as though I'm sat in an premium vehicle.

Need some pics.... I'm not a fan of the updates dash, sure it will grow on me. Plus the face lifts more than double the 2nd car budget. The A6 Avant Bitdi black editions is the main family car. Although as I say it will prob be something far larger next time round. My though was get one for circa £15-£20k now and run it till the A6 goes back in 2 years and then get a newer GLS or a Disco 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom