Used tyres. Go - No Go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dynamicq

Car
W219 320CDI
Due to the 245/40/17 being fairly rare and my financial situation mediocore I am thinking of buying used tyres. There is a pair of almost new but damaged tyres on ebay. Please refer to photo. uploadfromtaptalk1460126212861.jpg

I have bought used tyres before. Usually from F1 tyres in Romford. They are very good lads. They fit and provide quality brands with 5-6mm left for 3/5 of the price. Which is sort of fair. Bought 6 sets of continentals from them previously. But they don't have anything good for me at the moment.

Considering the image..and the size of the damage. Is it likely it will have a slow puncture on it through this cord exposed.?

Have you tried Brixton Tyres on Canvey Island mate?

245/40/17 is hardly rare! Can be bought for anywhere between £40-£140 each...

Damaged tyres are exactly that, damaged and replaced for a reason. Steer clear IMHO

Every time you buy a used car, you buy a set of used tyres, so I wouldn't let the fact that they're part-worn put me off. I would argue that you're actually better off buying used tyres off the wheels, because at least you can have a look at the insides to see if there is any damage or repairs.

The nick on that one is almost clear of the bead on the inside, so I very much doubt it would cause any air loss. If there's no other damage, I'd go for it.

I have bought plenty of used tyres of ebay and not had any issues with them but I always make sure they are undamaged with no repairs.

No problem with part worn tyres, just as above, make sure there's no damage

I personally wouldn't touch the one you posted with that bead damage, it doesn't look like it would seal properly anyway.

We have a couple of part worn tyre places by us, one is good quality part worns without damage or punctures. The other are damaged and repaired with repairs to the sidewalls and all things that a decent tyre garage will not repair.
They tried to sell my son a tyre with 1 sidewall and 2 tyre patches inside. We walked away.
Strangely while we were there there were some expensive motors in there getting tyres. I shudder to thing how some of them handled with the sh1te they were selling.

I once bought part worn Michelin Energy's with 6mm left and they were fine. Check the date codes though to make sure they are not too old.

I wouldn't touch the one with bead damage as even if it seals there has already been an entry point for corrosion to start.

Whatever you do don't buy remoulds. It's not they are unsafe as there are some good ones done on a quality carcass. By that I mean on what was originally a top class expensive tyre and they even mimic the tread pattern. The problem is the extra thickness of rubber added to the sidewalls makes them far too stiff and ruins the ride.

Ive just bought two brand new ones in that size a couple of weeks ago for £120 fitted, obviously budget but veey pleased so far.
Personally i wouldn't buy used when new is quite cheap.

Just bare in mind you only have approximately the size of a small book of surface rubber in contact at any one time. Tyres can only do two of three things well (hence rear wheel drive)

If it all goes wrong the result often ends with you off the road and don't want to say what else as I see it all too often in my job.

For the sake of a few extra £ is it worth cutting corners?

I may be over the top but safety should always come first.

If it can possibly go wrong, it will!

I've bought many sets of used winter tyres mainly as there are so many with 5/6mm+ at such good prices compared to new. Not had any issues or punctures (touch wood!!!)

However, like previous posters, I will only go with no damage, no repairs for peace of mind really. IMHO not worth the risk for a few quid saving.

I've bought used winter tyres and saved a fortune so support the idea in general but damaged? No way my families safety isn't worth that gamble!!

Every time you buy a used car, you buy a set of used tyres,

Not quite the same is it?

Second hand tyres with 5/6mm of tread left are usually off the car because someone has decided the problem is sufficient to warrant changing them.

Second hand tyres with 5/6mm of tread left are usually off the car because someone has decided the problem is sufficient to warrant changing them.

Or the car has been written off or scrapped maybe?

Not necessarily.....a lot of used tyre suppliers source from car breakers.

Last edited:

Maybe the car was written off and stripped for parts.
Or wheels were upgraded and tyres parted off the rims.
Just playing devils advocate but yeah, how would these tyre places get these tyres in the first place? It isn't from people coming to swap their dodgy 6mm tread tyres because these shops wouldn't have better ones to swap?

Just my opinion here, but it could be argued used tyres/part worns can come from an number of sources. As its unlikely you would know where they had come from, I personally would avoid.

I bought secondhand tyres once and they ended up down the tip. Never again.

Exactly the same, actually, unless you buy a car with brand new tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom