Useless Fact of the Day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
...perhaps.

As my W204 is just on six months old I decided to swap over the keys this morning and start using what was the "spare" one. Dunno what the limit of the rolling codes is, but I don't fancy having to get a key I haven't ever used re-coded when at some time in the future I need to use it. Oh, and this way all the batteries go flat at the same time ;)

Anyway, to the point. As I swapped the keys over I noticed that the little sliding release catch for the "real" key is black on one of them and grey on the other. Is this just coincidence, or have MB been clever and given you a way of identifying each key?

Both mine are black.....................

You cannot have original keys then?

Both of my current cars have one black and one grey release button like the original poster had.

I believe this comes from the time when cars allowed key-dependent settings for seats, air-con etc.

Correct. One was supplied with the car (from new) and the second was sourced and supplied by the dealer as my "spare".

I didnt know about the black/grey tab difference.

You can change them. They have other colours too.

Not useless coz I never realised this fact about Merc keys!

So is it the something with al Merc cars of all ages? Mine is a 05 plate - does that mean I should alternate my keys once in a while?

Mine are black and red. As someone else said, the keys store the settings for memory seats, steering wheel, aircon, etc, so having two colours help differentiate.

I actually take the batteries out of the second key, which (as I am the only driver in the household) is only used when the car goes in for servicing etc.

Five or six years ago I bought a spare key for a 210 the metal blade came with six different coloured tabs in the packet.

Dunno what the limit of the rolling codes is, but I don't fancy having to get a key I haven't ever used re-coded when at some time in the future I need to use it.
Urban myth.
Snopes

Once your key is coded to your car it will not lose it's ability to work with it until the car is recoded to not accept it.

Urban myth.
Snopes

Once your key is coded to your car it will not lose it's ability to work with it until the car is recoded to not accept it.

Do you want to let Smart know that! They do it for a past time!

Kate

...perhaps.

As my W204 is just on six months old I decided to swap over the keys this morning and start using what was the "spare" one. Dunno what the limit of the rolling codes is, but I don't fancy having to get a key I haven't ever used re-coded when at some time in the future I need to use it. Oh, and this way all the batteries go flat at the same time ;)

Anyway, to the point. As I swapped the keys over I noticed that the little sliding release catch for the "real" key is black on one of them and grey on the other. Is this just coincidence, or have MB been clever and given you a way of identifying each key?

I just checked mine and they are the same one grey and one black slidy bit. Being as they are identical apart from that it must be a small identifying mark. Makes sense, unobtrusive and good thinking by Mercedes except I never knew it existed until pointed out. Thanks st13phil.

Don't they now? Cost cutting or reliability exercise?

Mike

No, that was left out from later W211 cars as well as from W221, I assume from all current models.

I don't see how it could be cost cutting, it is just software and a minor memory space at some computer at the car. Either there were too many SW bugs or more likely users got confused and complained MB too much about a problem when the settings change depending on he or her driving the car. :crazy:

As somone once said to me when I was trying a Cadillac for size.

'Get a proper car, get a Mercedes'..

Ever tried parking in Wells?? :p

Actually it was the same in Malmesbury, or any small Cotswold town, they make sense really & prepare people for the kind of service levels to expect at MB main dealers should we ever need a bigger car!

The engine says Merc & it's the most problematic bit of the car, not the best advert! :D

Convince me it's a good idea, I need to buy a car in the US next month as the Smart won't arrive for another year :eek:

Kate
(running to hide now....)

No, that was left out from later W211 cars as well as from W221, I assume from all current models.

I don't see how it could be cost cutting, it is just software and a minor memory space at some computer at the car. Either there were too many SW bugs or more likely users got confused and complained MB too much about a problem when the settings change depending on he or her driving the car. :crazy:

Shame - I like that feature, Jag been using it since the 1990s.

Although individual aircon settings can be a problem if it has been months since your other half has driven the car, middle of winter and being blasted with cold....

Mike

Although individual aircon settings can be a problem if it has been months since your other half has driven the car, middle of winter and being blasted with cold....

:confused: My side of the car is at 21 degrees all year round...

Just checked mine -- one black one grey..........have had the car 2.5 years and never noticed...........DOH..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom